Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By terayon

Thread: Got my first tom bihn bag. synapse 19

Got my first tom bihn bag. synapse 19

Hello everyone, I've been lurking the forms for a bit and a few days ago purchase a synapse 19 on ebay. I was planning on purchasing new but found one with the colors I wanted with no wait so I just had to pull the trigger. The synapse 19 is a perfect size for me for edc. The pack I was using before is the Arcteryx Cierzo 18. I knew size wouldn't be a problem but I was a little worried about fit. I'm a big guy, 6ft and an athletic 230lbs. I have wide broad shoulders and the straps on the synapse just aren't that comfortable for me. I have read about this for some other folks in these forms and what is happening is that the straps don't lay flat on my chest and the outer edge digs into my shoulder. As suggested by another forum member using the sternum strap helps significantly.

So my question is...for those of you that might have had this same issue, is the synapse 25 a better fit? I read that the straps are the same length but they are positioned slightly wider on the bag. Would this help my situation? I really love the bag so far. It is nice having so many pockets for organization and the centered pocket for 1L bottles is absolutely brilliant and quite honestly one of the things that first attracted me to the synapse. I hope I can get used to the straps as I absolutely love the bag.

Question #2, the seller of the bag did not list the specific material it is made of. How can I tell what material the outside of my bag is made of? The inside is steel dyneema but I don't know if the outside is the ballistic fabric or cordura.

Thanks, Allen

If it's not dyneema and not parapack, it's cordura. The Synapse are not made in ballistic.

Can help with the rest of tiur inquiry - I am under 5 ft, being generous

Bag photos are welcome and LOVED on this forum

Oh, congrats on your 1st TB bag.

Thanks walker. Do you have an ideas on how to distinguish between parapack and cordura? Looking at the nice macro photos in this thread: 420d HT nylon Classic Parapack Photos the weave seems to look the same on my bag but i'm not able to find any macro shots of cordura.

Here's a shot of my new to me synapse and my old edc bag.

Hello and congrats on your purchase.

To try and answer your Question #2, the general differences between the fabrics are:
    1) Cordura has a matt finish. It also looks and feels rougher (like a sweater vs a silk tie) and is "stiffer" - ie holds the bag's shape well
    2) Parapack has a shinny finish. It also feels thinner, smoother and is very light (and may not hold its shape as well as Cordura)
    3) Dyneema - if you cannot tell the difference, the problem is you need glasses !

Also, Parapack was not introduced until about November 2013 so if the person you bought it from got it before November, it would be a Cordura Backpack (others, please chime in if you know the exact timeframe when Parapack was introduced - from what I remember, it started with the Guide's pack and Founder's Briefcase and went on to the Synapse line).

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-19-2014 at 10:34 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Got my first tom bihn bag. synapse 19

I think that's Cordura, since IIRC Parapack has only ever come with the Made in USA tag, while that one is the older Portsble Culture one. Cordura looks and feels like canvas, if that helps.

I got one of the first batch of Parapack Synapses shortly after the fabric was introduced in around October.
    tpnl likes this.

I'm 99.9% sure that photo is a Cordura bag. Dyneema is easy to spot it has a checked pattern in it.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I'm 99.9% sure that photo is a Cordura bag. Dyneema is easy to spot it has a checked pattern in it.
    Moose
    Agreed. When I zoomed up the image, it looked like the texture of Cordura in the weave.

Thanks everyone, after reading all the comments I think you guys/gals are all correct in saying cordura. After using it all afternoon I can say that the strap is still a bit bothersome. I hope it works out as I really love the bag
    Last edited by allen2oo3; 03-20-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0