Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By UK-Limey
  • 1 Post By i_clavdivs
  • 2 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By UK-Limey
  • 2 Post By moriond

Thread: iPad Mini EDC

iPad Mini EDC

I finally succumbed and bought myself an IPad Mini last week, which means I now get to buy a whole new heap of TB stuff specifically for it

I've my eye on a Synapse 25 (I've had my eye on it for months, but since my laptop wouldn't fit in it, it wasn't a priority) and of course I'll need to get a Cache but

1. I plan on getting an external keyboard for typing (something like this to start with but looking at this for an upgrade). Does anyone know if the mini plus keyboard will fit nicely into the iPad Mini Cache?

2. There doesn't seem to be a rails system for the Mini Cache, or am I just not looking in the right - I suspect it's dimensions wouldn't allow for rails.
    Considering the extra keyboard and lack of rails, should I be going up a level in Cache?

3. Any reason not to get the Synapse 25 over one of the other packs - I'll be using it mostly for weekends and short breaks - longer breaks will probably require the full laptop and so the Brain Bag I've got.

Hi,
    I own a Synapse 25 with an iPad cache, however, I do find the cache somewhat tight fitting for the iPad 3 without a case. However, I have a Samsung Note 8 which slides into the iPad cache easily.

If you would like to keep your iPad Mini with your chosen keyboard, I would recommend getting a larger cache, depending on the length of your keyboard you might consider either the iPad cache or the MacBook Air 11 cache.

I currently use a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio with my iPad Mini (in fact this is what I'm using to type this message right now). I'm sure this combo would easily fit into the iPad cache.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We just got an ipad mini retina.
    I opted for the horizontal version cache, even though it mostly goes into an array of bags vertically.
    Together with a Smart "cover"and snap on back,,,
    ( Amazon.com: Belkin Snap Shield Sheer Matte Case for Apple iPad mini, Clear (F7N019ttC01): Computers & Accessories)
    Everything fit rightly snug and I'm very happy with the arrangement.
    Had I gone with the vertical feed I feel it would have been more of a chore to fit the ipad mini with my two additions.

You could hold the cache from the opposite end of the opening with the flap closed and jiggle it,
    Nothing is moving.

As to a keyboard u may want to look into the silicone roll up version from Brookstone.
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 03-19-2014 at 09:10 AM.

The medium padded organiser pouch is a perfect fit for the iPad mini with Logitech keyboard.

You get great protection, the zip stops it falling out and it has a snap-hook that I use with a key strap to secure the pouch in my Cadet or Tri-Star.

100% thumbs up for this !

Oh that's an interesting idea, UK Limey. I have an (unpadded) medium pouch and you're right, it looks big enough with room to spare. Obviously, I wouldn't use the unpadded pouch on such an expensive piece of electronics, but you're right.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by UK-Limey View Post
    The medium padded organiser pouch is a perfect fit for the iPad mini with Logitech keyboard.

You get great protection, the zip stops it falling out and it has a snap-hook that I use with a key strap to secure the pouch in my Cadet or Tri-Star.

100% thumbs up for this !
    @UK-Limey Does that mean you finally received your order? And were you also able to fit in your folding Sennheiser headphones?@i_clavdivs You can see the size of the iPad Mini compared to the Medium Padded pouch in UK-Limey's thread asking about padded pouches for his iPad Mini. However, the Amazon keyboard you linked in your original post is too large to fit even into a regular size iPad Cache, which it just about spans if laid on top of an empty iPad cache (without trying to put it inside). You'd need to use the cache for the 11" MacBook Air to fit that keyboard.

I think I recall that a few forum members who travel with iPad and Keyboard use the Waterfield Designs iPad travel Express which is also supposed to have a version for the iPad Mini. but that's more designed to hold other accessories together with iPad and Keyboard.

Ok, looks like I should aim for the medium padded pouch just to hold the iPad Mini. If I'm bringing the keyboard, that can just go elsewhere in the pack. No rush making up my mind, just noticed all of the Synapse 25's are on backorder

I can definitely get my iPad Mini with Logitech keyboard into the vertical cache, though it's a tight fit - I figured it would probably stretch a tad with use.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Tks, scribe. Which size Cache and which Logitech keyboard do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @UK-Limey Does that mean you finally received your order? And were you also able to fit in your folding Sennheiser headphones?
    Hi moriond

Yes it finally arrived, along with my other new TB stuff ...
    I had to use the USPS shipping method (17 days from US to UK !) as there was a problem with the website shipping calculation for UPS.

Anyway, it works perfectly as you very kindly showed me - Mahalo !

iPad mini plus Logitech keyboard plus headphones
    Name:  MAR_2867.JPG
Views: 357
Size:  47.0 KB

Items on top of the padded pouch
    Name:  MAR_3171.JPG
Views: 338
Size:  46.4 KB

Items inside the padded pouch
    Name:  MAR_3172.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  44.0 KB

Side view of items inside the padded pouch
    Name:  MAR_3173.JPG
Views: 363
Size:  45.2 KB

Normally I just keep the iPad in the pouch, I only add the headphones when travelling by plane.

Thanks again for the advice. It is great to know that I always get an answer on the forums to my questions. Therefore I know 100% that when any TB item arrives it will work OK. For a purchaser in the UK, returns are difficult and expensive so having that information up-front is fantastic ! :-)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by i_clavdivs View Post
    Ok, looks like I should aim for the medium padded pouch just to hold the iPad Mini. If I'm bringing the keyboard, that can just go elsewhere in the pack. No rush making up my mind, just noticed all of the Synapse 25's are on backorder
    The medium padded organizer pouch is larger than the Cache for the iPad Mini, which is meant to give an exact fit to the iPad mini. Therefore, users who want to carry the iPad Mini inside another iPad case with or without a built-in keyboard that is thicker than the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard for the iPad mini may decide to opt either for the medium padded organizer pouch or move to the even larger Cache (with rails) for the iPad Air. Note that any separate full-size Bluetooth keyboard such as the Amazon Basics Keyboard in the first link of your original post is likely to be larger than any iPad cache even if the published length appears to just match the exterior length dimension of an empty cache.

Another option, for people who like to carry their iPad Mini along with an option for written note-taking/sketching, is to use the Field journal Notebook, which has been out of back order a little over a week, and slip their iPad Mini in there. The Medium pouches are just a bit too large to fit inside the FJN, though, and this is more feasible for people who have their iPad mini in a protective hard case or shell.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 03-20-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by i_clavdivs View Post
    Tks, scribe. Which size Cache and which Logitech keyboard do you have?
    The iPad Mini cache and the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard (the one that clips on like a smart cover)
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Another option, for people who like to carry their iPad Mini along with an option for written note-taking/sketching, is to use the Field journal Notebook, which has been out of back order a little over a week, and slip their iPad Mini in there. The Medium pouches are just a bit too large to fit inside the FJN, though, and this is more feasible for people who have their iPad mini in a protective hard case or shell.
    Just when I thought I'd successfully rationalised away my longing for an FJN... *sigh*
    Collections:

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Just when I thought I'd successfully rationalised away my longing for an FJN... *sigh*
    I haven't seen any reviews yet from the people who must have received their back-ordered FJNs. The Parapack should be durable for use in the field. Still miss the range of Cordura colors.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0