Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By jannilee
  • 3 Post By tpnl
  • 2 Post By squaredot
  • 3 Post By UK-Limey
  • 1 Post By tpnl

Thread: Tri-Star Packing Questions

Question Tri-Star Packing Questions

I have a couple more questions on the Tri-Star.

1. If a laptop is not packed in the middle compartment, what TB accessories fit in this space? Obviously items cannot be too thick. What are people placing in the middle? What would fit in addition to a MacBook Pro laptop inside of a Cache?

2. Are the front and back compartments the same dimensions? Could an Eagle Creek Pack-It 18 folder fit in one side, then a Packing Cube Backpack in the other side?

3. I have a 7 day trip to Mexico in early 2015. I am not bringing my laptop, just my iPad mini in my Co-Pilot. Do you think a week's worth of summer vacation clothes with a light jacket would fit in the Tri-Star plus toiletries?

I've seen a bunch of pics that show really thick Tri-Stars, I do not want a bulging bag if that makes sense. I wonder if those have been packed to the gills or moderately packed.

I wish I could afford both the Aeronaut and Tri-Star. I think the Tri-Star gives me more options for organization in general. Also more organized when in backpack mode compared to the Aeronaut where items would possibly gather at the bottom in backpack mode. Thanks for the help, as usual

FYI, my first Travel Tray (Iberian) and Large Nordic Shop Bag have been ordered, can't wait!
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

1. If a laptop is not packed in the middle compartment, what TB accessories fit in this space? Obviously items cannot be too thick. What are people placing in the middle? What would fit in addition to a MacBook Pro laptop inside of a Cache?

-I pack an Eagle Creek 18 clothing folder into the middle compartment along with a Dyneema Clear Organizer Pouch for storing papers / receipts, an Eagle Creek packing cube in the back compartment (leaves room along one side for a 3-1-1 bag or a bottle of wine if I'm not flying), and my toiletries / tech / spare shoes in the front compartment. I could probably also fit my 15" MacBook Pro in Cache in the middle pocket, but the bag would get bulgy and heavy pretty fast.... usually if I'm bringing my laptop I'll pack it in my Pilot and leave the TriStar to clothing and paraphernalia. And wine.

2. Are the front and back compartments the same dimensions? Could an Eagle Creek Pack-It 18 folder fit in one side, then a Packing Cube Backpack in the other side?

I think they're essentially the same dimensions — remember that the front compartment has zippered pockets all up and down its outside... so if you pack things in those front zippered pockets, the dimensions of the front compartment will be reduced accordingly. I think your packing plan is totally workable.

3. I have a 7 day trip to Mexico in early 2015. I am not bringing my laptop, just my iPad mini in my Co-Pilot. Do you think a week's worth of summer vacation clothes with a light jacket would fit in the Tri-Star plus toiletries?

Absolutely, if you're bringing a Co-Pilot as an additional carry-on!

Yes, the Eagle creek pack-it 18 will fit. The most important thing to prevent a bulgy bag is to use packing cubes and to make sure things are folded so they fill the corners of the cube. It also helps to zip the divider in the divided pocket. You can put anything in the middle section that you can put in the other sections.

I think you could easily pack for a week in a tristar. I gave mine to my SIL and bought a wf because it was too big for me. My brother, who usually brings a body hauler sized bag on trips just bought a tristar, ostensibly for weekend trips in his Triumph but i have hopes for a further conversion!
    Jeff A likes this.

To battle the bulge ...

Tightening up the built in interior clothing straps too much will make the Tri-Star bulge.
    Also, it you do not use all the middle space, the outer compartments will bulge into there instead of to the outer surfaces helping reduce exterior bulge.

I agree with jannilee - use packing cubes and make sure the corners /edges are packed as full as the centre.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I recently took a 2-week trip to Japan and used a TS as my only bag. I used a TS MPC and tablet cache in the center, along with some loose goods and stuff-sacks. In the front (divide-able) area, I used a TS SPC, PC shoulder bag and 3D CPQ. I also had an Eagle Creek folder and TS LPC in the area with the clothing buckles. I had some organizer pouches in the taller front pockets and misc stuff in the "water bottle" area. I swapped my 3DCPC and LPC around during my trip, depending on circumstances.

I was able to pack and unpack my stuff pretty easily, and didn't feel like my bag was bulging in the least.

For an idea of how much stuff I put in it:
    4 pairs of pants, one of them wool tweed
    4 longsleeve button up dress shirts
    6 pair of socks, underwear and tshirts
    wool dress sweater
    4 books on Japanese, Korean and other related material, approx 12x5x0.75"
    Nexus 7, in a hard case
    Travel sleep mask, earplugs in a stuff sack
    Neck pillow
    Umbrella, approx 2" in diameter and 8" long.
    Hardcover journal
    Writing implements
    3-1-1 stuff/toiletries: shaving cream (foam), toothpaste, shampoo, travel soap, razor, toothbrush. It all fit in the 3DCPQ.
    Chargers for: tablet, mobile phone, camera battery
    Portable battery pack, approx 5x3x0.5"
    Plug adapter for 2 day stop in Korea
    Canon compact camera, in a hardcase
    Travel documents, travel wallet, currency, etc.

The bulk of my clothing went into the LPC and folder, and this went into the "rear" area with the packing straps. My underclothes went into the SPC. My packable extras that I didn't want to access during the flight went into my PC SB. I wanted my tech in the center (cushioned by the other stuff.) My hardcover books went in with my pants in the LPC, but the softcover ones went into the center. I used the center pouch and water bottle pocket as my main access areas while on the plane.

All of this fit under my seat while I was on the Delta flight to Korea and on the Korean Air (more space!) flight to Japan. I could move it around easily and had room for my feet - hence my feeling it wasn't overpacked or bulging.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by squaredot; 03-17-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    Darcy and moriond like this.

Agree with the other posts - you need to think of the Tri-Star as a club sandwich. Keep the packing flat and into the corners just as you would spread a sandwich filling evenly and to the edge of the bread. I found that the rolling method of packing does not work well. Keeping garments as large as possible with minimal folds seems to fit and fill the packing cubes best.

I can do a single bag for up 4 days & nights business travel with laptop in Cadet and both of them in the middle of the Tri-Star. Any longer than that, I use a 2 bag strategy keeping the laptop and Cadet outside the Tri-Star as a 'personal item' on the plane. Otherwise I get the TBTSB - Tom Bihn Tri-Star Bulge.
    tpnl, Jeff A and scribe like this.

That's a great acronym, UK-Limey! I'm hoping to avoid TBTSB myself when I fly to Glasgow next month - need to work out where's best to fit my SE into the TS so that I don't attract the attention of EasyJet's draconian gate crew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I've been waffling over a Tri-Star purchase. I was wondering if anyone knows how well eBags packing cubes fit in a Tri-Star? They work well in my Aeronaut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came across a similar thread that may have a bit more info:

How to avoid the bulging bag syndrome on Travel Bags

Cheers!
    Jeff A likes this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0