Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By moriond

Thread: PLEASE help me decide - Synapse 25 Cordura or Parapack????

mjg

PLEASE help me decide - Synapse 25 Cordura or Parapack????

Hi all,

Iím an avid reader of these forums after purchasing my Aeronaut 3 years ago. Iím very close to purchasing a black Synapse 25 as an everyday work bag (and also for weekend family outings).

Iíve noticed you can now get the Synapse in Cordura and Parapack and I need some help to decide which one to get!! Iíve read a few posts such as ĎParapack vs Cordura vs Ballisticí and think I understand the technical details but I still canít decide.

Hereís what I need to fit in the bag most days if that helps, I only walk about 1km to train stations so not too far:

- 13Ē unibody mackbook
    - iPad mini
    - 24oz contigo waterbottle
    - 2 phones
    - medium organizer pouch and two miniís
    - Side effect with purse, makeup etc.
    - 1x pair Shoes

Please help tell me which you prefer and why. I canít make a decision Ė paralysis by analysis!!

PS Ė I know there is a difference in backorder wait too, but figure Iíve been wanting to make this order since Christmas so if Cordura is the way to go Iíll wait a bit longer.

Thanks so much!
    mjg

I like cordura a lot more than parapack. Cordura feels more like canvas or fabric. Parapack is kind of slick and has more of a sheen. I'm sure some people are exactly the opposite of me. Not to throw a wrench in the works, but what about Dyneema?

Hi mjg,
    Do you have pets? In my experience the Cordura is a bit of a hair/fuzz magnet. The Parapack less so and Dyneema not at all. I have a steel/uv S25 and love it. I too use a SE as a purse and it works really well. In closing, if I were making a choice between Cordura and Parapack, it would be the Parapack. I should also add I live with a dog and serve a cat. When your bag arrives, pictures please.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I like the cordura fabric better because of the textured, matte fabric. I don't have too much experience with parapack yet but I have a feeling that it might be tougher and last longer than the cordura. I have a synapse 19 in cordura and I love it but I can see it not holding up, particularly on the bottom of the bag. Time will tell...hope I'm wrong!

Here's my thoughts on Cordura vs. Parapack for the S25, from the thread on the return of the Cordura option:
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    My Synapse 25 is Cordura (Black/Iberian), and on my most recent trip to the store, I had a chance to check out the Parapack version, fully expecting that I would have a sudden desire to sell my Cordura version and replace it with a Parapack one. But I actually find I prefer the textured look and more structured feel to the Cordura. To me, the Parapack fabric seems better for smaller bags (a Parapack side effect may be on my wishlist) where the slight sheen and flexible nature make for an elegant version, or for bigger bags, where the weight is more important (and I do find it particularly pretty on the Guide's Pack). The standard backpack size just makes the most sense in Cordura to me. It's great to have so many options though!
    I have a long-haired cat that manages to get her fur just about everywhere, yet, contrary to others' experiences, it hasn't been an issue for my Synapse (maybe a stray hair here and there, but nothing like what happens with black clothing). I think it really comes down to if you prefer a more traditional backpack type of material or would rather have a sleeker look/feel. Can't really go wrong. Also note that all the color combinations with black outers, in both Cordura and Parapack, are backordered until late May, except the Parapack black/steel, and I'd really recommend getting a bright inner color for contrast.

From what I experience, the key factors I would use in deciding are:

1) Do you have pets and do you leave them to snuggle with your bags? Cordura attracts more pet hair. I have a BB in Cordura and 2 cats but I do not find much pet hair on the bag but I also do not leave it on the ground for my cats to play with. So - like ClaireJ, no real issue for me.
    2) Are you using the backpack in a professional or casual environment? IMHO, parapack is more professional looking in the same way ballistic nylon is - so good for a business environment. Cordura is more natural looking - like Canvas - so good for a more casual environment
    3) Are you careful with your bag or prefer not to worry about whether you scape you bag occasionally? I find that Cordura, due to its rougher natural look hides occasional scuffs and even scrapes better because it is not shiny like ballistic nylon (which will show everything), I have a SA that is both ballistic and Cordura. The one scuff I have on the ballistic really shows but any scuff in the cordura part does not seem to show. I have read elsewhere that the parapack shows scuffs more.

Given that you care about the above things, I would say you pick the material based on what fabric you picked most from the above 3 questions.

Other subjective things:
    Cordura "feels" more substantial
    Parapack is lighter so if you want as light a backpack as possible, this material is better. The difference, IMHO is not enough to sway me. I can compensate for the extra lb or so.
    As far as Tear and Abrasion resistance, I do not feel there is a significant difference.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Order one of each and return the one you don't like!

mjg
    Hi all,

Wow, thanks so much for your quick replies. That's exactly what I was after, personal preferences and why!

I do have a big old dog but she doesn't get near my Tom Bihn gear so not too worried about that. While I like the Dyneema, I think a solid colour will suit my requirements better, also lets not complicate my decision more!

Thanks again everyone.

I for one am enchanted by the feel of the BB in Parapack. But then I like the feel of synthetics over naturalesque fibers.

I have a black cordura S19, black parapack Brain Bag, and black ballistic Aeronaut and Tri-Star. I like the ballistic fabric more than cordura or parapack. If I had to choose between cordura or parapack, I would go with the parapack. I love the sheen and look of it.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Volunteer Moderator
    @mjg I think @tpnl gave a pretty fair summary of the pluses and minuses. The only other partial reservation I heard about the Parapack Synapse was a comment by nukediver in another thread. She had sold her older Cordura (Indigo/Steel) and 400d Steel Dyneema S19's so she coulg get a new S19 in Navy Parapack/Iberian, and was having some problems getting the bag to stand up by itself (which had not been an issue with Synapses in either of the two other fabrics). But that's the only comment that I've heard like that, and she was speculating that this might just be because the bag was new.

Beyond that, it's an issue of personal preferences. My preferences fall close to that of ClaireJ's: I like the Parapack in some smaller bags (like the 3D cubes and the Lead's Pocket Pouch that I have), but for my Synapses I prefer either Cordura or 400d Dyneema (both of which I have and use). I suspect that I'd like bags like the Guide's Pack in Parapack. I don't think it's just a question of preferring synthetics vs natural fibers, because I quite like Ballistic Nylon in the larger bags. I just prefer the tactile quality of Cordura and 400d Dyneema (and Ballistic Nylon) to Parapack in the larger bags. But then I also liked the feel of fabrics like Cork, UltraSuede, and Hemp in my other bags.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0