Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Dyneema Pilot Improvement Suggestion

Dyneema Pilot Improvement Suggestion

I just got my Black Dyneema/Wasbi Pilot. If I put my 11 inch MacBook Air cache in using the rails, it pulls down the backside of the bag and dis-figures it. I noticed on the front of the bag there is black tubing that helps the bag hold its shape. I am wondering if the bag can be improved by using the same tubing on the back side so that is holds its shape better?
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel Aeronaut, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

I think I would add a zipper or snap to the top of the outside back slip pocket of the Dyneema Pilot to hold it closed. I do not use a computer in the Pilot, so I cannot speak to that issue.

I just received a Black Dyneema/Wasabi Pilot, too.

While I really like the versatility of the bag, I am still trying to adjust to the way the back crumples into itself (and the magazine pocket hangs open 6-7 inches) when carrying it by the handle.

I know that Dyneema -- especially unlined, as the back wall of the Pilot is -- can't be expected to hold its shape the way Ballistic does, but I can't help feeling some reinforcement of the back panel would improve usability.

Was hoping that adding a cache might help, so am sad to hear that in your experience the cache pulled down the backside of the bag even more.

Perhaps adding that piping you describe (and/or lining the back wall of the bag) would help.

The only other solution I can imagine would be a second handle, behind the main compartment zipper, to support the back wall... but what do I know? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    I think I would add a zipper or snap to the top of the outside back slip pocket of the Dyneema Pilot to hold it closed. I do not use a computer in the Pilot, so I cannot speak to that issue.
    Agreed! A zipper on that pocket would be great...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Hmm: interesting feedback (thanks as always). We'll be looking into this further...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Hmm: interesting feedback (thanks as always). We'll be looking into this further...
    Thanks Darcy. I think the structure of the bag would be better if the same tubing was used on the back side of the bag. For a test, put a 11 MBA cache with rails in the bag with a 11 MBA inside. I think you will see the same results as I indicated in my original post.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel Aeronaut, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

I also have a Black Dyneema / Wasabi Pilot. I had failed to remember to order a horizontal cache for my 13" Macbook Pro Retina when I first got it, but luckily the forgotten accessory arrived today. The larger laptop seems to make the issue a little better by filling the space more, but it is still there, the back wall of the Pilot could definitely use a little more support. I must say the bag holds its shape much better when the bag has other items filling it out, seems to give the bag more structure. I think that the 13" laptop in a cache with the rails works perfectly, as long as you have enough other cargo to fill the bag out.

Here is a picture of the back of the bag when it is empty, and then with just the laptop, so you can see how it sags:

Name:  bag0.JPG
Views: 617
Size:  434.5 KB

Name:  bag1.JPG
Views: 621
Size:  257.2 KB

But like I said, the sagging is mostly taken care of by filling the bag.

I love the bag by way, and the cache on rails is genius!

Thanks, dowlf. That's good to know.

My Pilot (sans cache) hangs like this, but I generally don't carry bags more than 50-70% full.

Maybe I just need to pack more in it...

Name:  Pilot Rear 2.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  80.7 KB
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Black Ballistic: Tri-Star (Iberian), Co-Pilot (Iberian)
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (Iberian), Pilot (UV)
    Black Dyneema: Synapse25 (Wasabi), Pilot (Wasabi), Side Effect (Wasabi), PCSB

I had a similar problem with the Co-Pilot. I may not have been packing the bag correctly or enough. Or maybe I packed too much in it. I wanted to love it but couldn't quite get there. I've delayed purchasing a Pilot for just this reason. I've decided on another Swift instead.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

This seems to be less of a problem with the ballistic Pilot, which I have. However, I think a zipper on the top of that pocket would be ok to include, on both the dyneema and ballistic Pilots. Or maybe a snap.
    eWalker likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by bb93fo57 View Post
    I know that Dyneema -- especially unlined, as the back wall of the Pilot is -- can't be expected to hold its shape
    The entire Pilot bag is unlined, not just the back, unfortunately.

Mine looks slightly more dis-figured probably due to the laptop size being smaller. I agree the ballistic might be more rigid. If the piping was used on the other side of the bag, I think that would help as well.

I ended up exchanging my Dyneema Pilot for a Black/Steel ballistic version and I am much happier. It holds its shape much better. Thanks TB! Happy camper.

For those of you hoping/wishing to add a zipper to the top of the back pocket, you'll have to find a good shoe-repair person or industrial seamstress. I contacted Tom Bihn's customer service and their response was "it is not cost effective" for them to do that, even after I offered to pay.
    eWalker likes this.

I am glad that I found this thread. Is the new pilot shipping now the same or have your suggestions been incorporated?
    RhoFro likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0