Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By monkeylady
  • 1 Post By backpack

Thread: Solar Color and Bees

Solar Color and Bees

I know this probably sounds like a crazy question, but... have you ever had any problems with bees due to a bag/accessory having a Solar interior or exterior?

Quote Originally Posted by QualityBag View Post
    I know this probably sounds like a crazy question, but... have you ever had any problems with bees due to a bag/accessory having a Solar interior or exterior?
    Is this a trick question?

Solar Color and Bees

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    Is this a trick question?
    No, it is not a trick question.

For some reason, particularly, when it's hot outdoors... Iíve had problems with bees if I am wearing a t-shirt with a small amount of yellow in the design and/or am holding an item that happens to be yellow.
    Last edited by QualityBag; 03-13-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Of course...yellow, pink, red, purple. Those bees love them all and think you're a flower!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Of course...yellow, pink, red, purple. Those bees love them all and think you're a flower!
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I second what monkeylady says bright flower like colors attract all pollinators, not only bees but butterflies and hummingbirds, to name the two most famous and most sought after, because they are so beautiful and not dangerous like bees or other biting insects.

So if one wants to attract butterflies or hummingbirds to one's vicinity, I suggest wearing a Travel Tray as a hat (it has been done) and carry Shop Bags in the other Dyneema colors to perfect the giant flower effect.
    Note that butterflies might flutter around or even pause for a rest but I think they'll figure out quickly that Dyneema is not a pollen or nectar distributor, hummingbirds will figure out even quicker and might give a look or a peep that most probably mean: "I don't have time for games, I have territories to defend, babies to make (male), food to find and nest to build and nestling to nurture (female).

However, bright colors also attract biting insect with their potential for very negative side effects.

I love to wear bright colors, but in the wild, when insects are capable of transforming one into one giant welt, I was told that it was better to wear khaki or if one like that better, light denim blue which reflect the sun rays outward and looks like a neutral to bees.

Mosquitoes are attracted to the CO2 the beings of the animal kingdom all emit, all over long sleeves, long pants, hat and mosquito net are the only defence besides mosquito repellent or bubble walking.

In addition to kakhi or denim clothing, switching from Dyneema to Parapack more neutral palette is highly recommended in biting insect areas.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0