Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Darcy

Thread: Got my beautiful black dyneema aeronaut an hour ago....zipper issue?

Got my beautiful black dyneema aeronaut an hour ago....zipper issue?

I just got my beautiful black dyneema aeronaut about an hour ago and I wonder if anyone else in the forums has had any issues with the zipper on the main compartment zipping around the 2 corners on the main flap. The left zipper is the one I have the issue with. When I attempt to zip it closed, it stops right when I hit the corner and I have to really grab ahold of the bag with my left hand and really tug to get the zipper to go around the corner. It's not smooth and usually my fingers slip off the zipper because it's so hard to pull. I've checked and checked and there is nothing catching the zipper underneath. When it goes around the other corner, same issue. Plus, the zipper makes a scraping sound when it's zipping that is highly unpleasant. The zipper on the right is perfect. Goes around the corners fine, is smooth and doesn't make that scraping sound.

I just wrote to customer service to see if they can help. Never had an issue with a zipper on a TB product before (and I have lots)... so I'm thinking this is highly abnormal. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue with the zips or might know something I could try.

This is a deal breaker for me if the zipper can't be made to work better.

Thanks in advance.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chautime View Post
    I just got my beautiful black dyneema aeronaut about an hour ago and I wonder if anyone else in the forums has had any issues with the zipper on the main compartment zipping around the 2 corners on the main flap. The left zipper is the one I have the issue with. When I attempt to zip it closed, it stops right when I hit the corner and I have to really grab ahold of the bag with my left hand and really tug to get the zipper to go around the corner. It's not smooth and usually my fingers slip off the zipper because it's so hard to pull.
    This doesn't sound right to me, and is not something I've experienced on my (older) Aeronaut(s). Can you check whether they are using the new reversed zipper design on your Aeronaut? If you go to the Western Flyer product page and enlarge the images, you'll see the reversed zipper in use, with the teeth exposed to view, and the underside of the zipper (if you open it) carrying the reinforcement. By contrast, if you enlarge the current photos of the Aeronaut zippers on the product page, you'll see the outside of these zippers are covered. They started shifting over to the new zipper design with the Pilot, and have been migrating it to other bags, which may include your just-shipped Aeronaut, but I haven't seen updates of the Aeronaut product page photos. In the early production shift there might have been an issue with your bag that wasn't caught before it shipped. What type of zipper was used on the bag you received?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Hmm: I know Beau and crew have your email and are looking into this, chautime. You should have an answer soon.

We haven't yet made Aeronauts with the right side up zippers, moriond. Just FYI: sewing the zippers right side up actually makes them every-so-slightly easier to open.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

My aeronaut definitely has the covered zippers on the top...exactly like the ones pictured on the aeronaut page. Thanks so much Darcy, Beau and crew for looking into this! Love the bag, hate that one zipper!

I received my first Aeronaut in the mail today, and I noticed the exact same difficult with the zipper, just as you described. I figured it was something that would relax over time.

Jwiegley, the good folks at TB are arranging a replacement bag for me. Beau tested the zippers on the replacement one they are sending me so I'm confident this will be resolved.

I'm not sure if zippers will "loosen up" as you describe but I'm sure you'll be taken care of if it doesn't get better.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

It does sound like chautime's Aeronaut might have a zipper with a burr or something like that -- glad we are replacing it and will get to check out the possible offending bag ourselves.

And jwiegley: we'll let you know what we find once we receive chautime's Aeronaut back and go from there. Sound good?

It's normal for Aquaguard zippers to be a little stiff at first. They'll soften up over time. And if they don't… let us know, 'cause something else might be going on.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Sadly, I felt the replacement Aeronaut that was sent had the same issue with the left zipper. It was a little better but really had the same issue. The TB folks, Beau/Matthew said there is nothing wrong with the bag so I'm returning everything and I'm just going to chalk this up to the fact that this bag did make the cut for me. For a $250 bag, I wasn't willing to live with the zipper issue and what I felt to be a quality flaw. After spending a lot of time with the zipper...it's just gliding slightly wrong (enough to be aggravating), which is not a "loosening up" issue, in my opinion. All 7 other zippers on the bag are perfectly smooth. It's just that ONE left zipper on the main compartment.

I understand that many, many of you own the Aeronaut and love it. I don't know what happened with mine - I've never, ever returned any bag due to this type of zipper problem.

I'm an owner of many TB bags - brain bag, synapse, co-pilot, side effect, dopp kit and a whole assortment of pouches and sacs and I remain a TB fan, but am admittedly very disappointed in the flagship Aeronaut. I loved everything else about it (look, material, size, organization, comfort) and it really would have been perfect for me.

As usual, the TB folks treat their customers well and offered a full refund for the bag and shipping it back. I hope this issue gets recognized and resolved so that no one else experiences what I did and hopefully, one day, an already great bag will just get better. Maybe one day I can give it another chance.

Hmm: we tested your replacement Aeronaut before we sent it out, and it's the same as all other Aeronauts (even the ones we've been using for years now). This kind of thing isn't really a flaw but perhaps just "the way it is" -- sorry it's something that won't work for you.

Some good news for folks who aren't fond of this little fact of the marriage of manufacturing and materials: zippers sewn right side up (like on the Tri-Star, Western Flyer, and in a few months, the Aeronaut) are easier to zip open/shut in general.

This may be unrelated so forgive me if I'm not addressing your current zipper dilemma . I find the zippers on my new Pilot to be very "tight". I wish I had a better word to describe it but the Pilot zippers seem to require much more force to close than those on my Western Flyer ( also only a few months old). I was hoping the Pilot zippers would loosen but unless I use it as a day bag (highly unlikely) having the zippers need more force to pull open may be a positive. I understand that bags at this price should meet the buyer's standards but I guess I'm trying to see both sides if the coin. I may not like the Pilot's zipper tightness when using it as a day bag I open multiple times per hour, but I appreciate it when traveling via airline or train. Hope you find a bag that meets your needs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bags: Western Flyer, Pilot, Brain Bag, Medium Café Bag

Thanks Darcy. It definitely is what it is.

WMW40, I noticed needing more force to pull the zippers in my co-pilot but that doesn't bother me. There are all kinds of zippers out there. Filson zippers are rough, harder to pull, and sharp & gnarly but they glide well and are smooth in their own way. You should never very have to force a zipper.

Anyway, water under the bridge. I need to get me one of those double zip pouches! How neat is that??

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0