• 4 Post By Badger
  • 1 Post By kkintea
  • 1 Post By kkintea
  • 2 Post By Historymeg
  • 1 Post By saikyo

Thread: PILOT For school?

PILOT For school?

Hello All,

Anyone using the Pilot for school? Graduate school more precisely. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated (pics?).

Thank you in advance!

It's been a number of years since I was in classes, but I'd say "it depends." Namely, how many books is this potential Pilot-carrying grad student lugging around from day to day? Does the student require carrying a laptop most or even some of the time? How often does this student go to the library, like a good grad student, and check out many books? Does this grad student teach in addition to being a student, and have masses of student work to haul around? If the answer to all (or most) of these is "yes," my hearty recommendation would be "get a backpack." I suppose there are some grad programs in which you carry nothing but an iPad and maybe a pen, but almost everyone I know who went through grad school had a HUGE bag. I can say that the Pilot would not have been enough for me.

Personally, if the Synapse 25 had existed when I was a grad student, that's the bag I would have wanted. Carrying around your life day in and day out for years (I kid you not) really wears on you after a while. Having the weight distributed across both shoulders is very helpful. I do think that the Pilot would make a very sexy conference bag, though.

What will you typically carry? I am in academia. I do not carry textbooks regularly because I have instructor access to the online texts, but I do tote around a 13" MBA and presenter cables. I have the pilot but I'm favoring the imago for my EDC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    What will you typically carry?
    Typically, I find pdf versions of my ridiculously-massive textbooks, which I then carry on my iPad. So, I do carry an iPad, MBA 11" + chargers and cables for both. 2 notebooks, 1 file folder with bunch of papers. A 3D Clear Organizer pouch (with a number of miscellaneous items, a couple of small organizer pouches, a pen/pencil organizer pouch, and a micro pouch for business cards. All this when I am lucky to find the pdf versions. If I am not lucky enough, then I have to haul 2-3 massive books. I am on a quarter system.

I'd say you can fit everything up until the '2-3 massive books' in the pilot. Even the back pocket cannot accommodate multiple textbooks. You might look into renting textbooks online or purchasing e-versions. I know I try to choose these types of materials whenever possible in consideration for my students. I survived grad school without Tom Bihn (amazingly), but I rarely brought books to campus. Unless you are specifically instructed that you will use the text in lecture, I would prep at home and save yourself the extra weight. Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

As a grad student, I liked carrying a briefcase rather than a backpack, and I spent most of my PhD with a bag that matched the Pilot's dimensions almost to the millimetre. BUT, I used to stuff in a separate bag (along the lines of the shopbag) in for library days or days I was bringing home essays to mark. Though I tended to be unable to leave the library without 15 books minimum (a habit I still haven't lost, though thankfully until a couple of weeks ago my office was in a building connected to the library) so I might be extreme. As an EDC for a laptop, tablet, notebooks, pens, lunch, external drives etc (and maybe one book) yes I think it would work. As the one and only bag all day, every day? Hmm probably want something bigger.
    Nordic/Solar Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Tri-Star, Nordic/Solar Side Effect, Plum3-D Organizer

I have the pilot and was a grad student a few years ago.

I would say, if you need to carry books it won't be a good fit.

If you mainly need to carry your water, a laptop or ipad, pens and pencils, and a notebook, it'll be fine.

If you tried to put more than one serious textbook in the Pilot I think the bag would cry.
    Melissa likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0