Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Western flyer in dyneema?

Western flyer in dyneema?

There are no dyneema versions of the wf listed. Is that option gone forever? I desperately want a black dyneema/wasabi wf to go to Turkey with my pilot and se in May. Please, please, pretty please??
    taminca likes this.

Western flyer in dyneema?

I hope not! Along similar lines, I am slightly worried that the rolling luggage version of the WF may have gone the way of the dodo. This configuration is my preference because I don't need the backpack straps. Perhaps emailing TB directly is the best way to assuage our anxieties. 😰

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling you guys are right. The WF page has fewer photos than it had before and the photos all have the changed zipper which leads me to conclude that these are updated photos. My guess is one of two things. Either TB is streamlining options to black or gray, a la other briefcases/messenger bags like the Cadet, the EB, the Zephyr, the Ego OR there's a Western Flyer 2.0 in the works. Given the photos, my hunch is option number one.

In any event, Badger's advice to contact TB folks directly is right on....

...and I'm soooo glad I followed my gut and purchased my Aubergine rolling-bag WF within the last month

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    I'm soooo glad I followed my gut and purchased my Aubergine rolling-bag WF within the last month
    Me too! Could it be that fewer WF offering is making way for the Aeronaut Jr? My guess is that they would be similar in size but obviously different in organization.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Oh, I do hope that the Western Flyer is not doomed. I don't like the open plan of the Aeronaut myself as a backpack. I use my Aeronaut when I'm traveling by car, but when I am carrying my load on my back, it's always the Tristar or WF for me. I'm so very glad I got a dyneema WF when I did!
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I'm kicking myself for not ordering an aubergine WF with backpack straps.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Yup, all the Western Flyer photos are new! (So are the photos of the Tri-Star.) We don't have plans to retire the Western Flyer anytime soon, but we did choose to reduce the available color combinations in part to be able to add/keep more color combinations of other bags (Tri-Star, Aeronaut, and maybe even that rumored new smaller Aeronaut….)
    taminca likes this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks for the info, Darcy. I think you need one dyneema choice for extremely light packers like me. The tristar is just too big. Puleeezz???????

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I hear you, and we might just do that next time around. But that won't be for a little while...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We don't have plans to retire the Western Flyer anytime soon, but we did choose to reduce the available color combinations in part to be able to add/keep more color combinations of other bags (Tri-Star, Aeronaut, and maybe even that rumored new smaller Aeronaut….)
    Rumored, schmumored. You even indicated that you saw one, likely a prototype. What a queen of torture you are!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Darcy likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I think it'd be fun to brainstorm some names for this rumored bag.... Mininaut? Ace? Wingman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

I actually really wanted rollng luggage version in dyneema, but finally pulled trigger on one of the last aubergine ones, glad I did. As that color is more appealing than the newly available color.

I always take a 22 inch rolling suitcase which I check, but for upcoming 4 week trip by plane, ship, train and then plane, think the WF should be perfect carryon for some extra clothes. Like ability to slip ontop of roller when needed.

Volunteer Moderator
    @janilee I don't recall seeing rolling luggage versions of the WF offered in Black 400d Dyneema at all, although there were Steel 400d/Steel Dyneema rolling luggage versions available for sale around Christmas time. In fact, I recall that all the WF versions that were offered around then, both in the backpack and rolling luggage versions had steel linings, although there were some other available color combination offerings earlier that gave alternatives to Steel. This isn't something I follow closely, except for the fact that: (1) after ordering a Black 400d/Wasabi Dyneema Side Effect from the early batch of Black Dyneema offerings and finding it awesome, I then (2) jumped on the Black 400d/Iberian Dyneema Little Swift combination when this came out for pre-order, and started looking to check where the 400d Black Dyneema combination was being offered in other travel bags, since I ordered this for the Pilot. I haven't seen the option come up in Black Dyneema for the WF.

@taminca I think the smaller Aeronaut will be larger than the Western Flyer.

@Darcy I did understand that you were planning to concentrate on the production and color options on other travel bags, especially since there's likely to be more demand for both the Tri-Star and the Aeronaut in the wake of the recent United (and other Airlines) enforcement. Plus, you also have the new product demands for the Pilot. Just a couple of points: (1) I do think you've got a group of forum members who are interested in the rolling luggage option for the Western Flyer in Dyneema. With the weight savings in the Dyneema fabric, there's a fair amount of interest in having the other two organizer pockets available in the rolling luggage version. Even though I, and others, already have a Ballistic Nylon WF with backpack straps, the recent and very positive experiences with 400d Dyneema. especially among new Pilot and Side Effect owners, is likely to generate more interest in 400d Dyneema options fro the Western Flyer. (2) The current WF product pictures show the new gun-metal pulls and zipper design, but there are no pictures at all of the interior. Has the WF been modified to also take the Horizontal Cache with Rails? That would be consistent with the design changes in other bags like the Tri-Star.

Thanks for any answers.

moriond

Actually I want the backpack version as I take it as my only bag and it is often more convenient to have it on my back. Taking both a wf and another bag would be extreme overkill for me. I got rid of my tristar because it was too big and too easy to overpack.. Hmm , better edit my other post to say i want one with backpack straps.

I think I shall hug my Nordic/UV Dyneema WF a little tighter when I get home from my latest trip.
    snowbot likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0