Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Co-Pilot as EDC for lunch/workout/purse?

@Binje, As I also own an Imago, I gave it a go with your load. It fits in the Imago, with no room or options to spare for bulkier winter gear. IMHO, the Pilot in Dyneema is the way to go even though it is 25 cu.in. smaller than an Imago, its space is better configured. I know what you mean about how large the Imago feels. It feels a lot larger to me than my Pilot, but in my case, it is primarily because the Imago I have was not offered in Dyneema, which is lighter and silkier, and more forgiving on full packing. To me, my Imago feels clunky and heavy (no boos and hisses from Imago lovers please, this is a personal preference.) With an Imago, you would also need to ask yourself whether you like flapped bags or not. As you already own messenger bags, this may not be an issue for you.

Please don't fret about the need for a Pilot over a CoPilot. At first glance you wouldn't necessarily even notice much that the bag is bigger than the CP. It "reads"about the same size. I have both bags in black dyneema/wasabi, which would account for some of my poor differentiation skills. The front pockets on the Pilot are little miracles. You will be able to fit all of your non-gym gear in the three front pockets, including an 11.5"banana, maybe even a quarter of a watermelon . You could even likely put a shoe in each pocket in the front if you so chose, giving you more flexibility in the main compartment.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    I wear size 12 women's shoes - I feel your pain.
    You win. Though I do have to say that packing might be the only time I envy petite people. Well, that and the ability to be comfortable in subcompact cars.

I'm starting to think that I'll have to order 4 bags in addition to that Aeronaut Jr which I hope will be about the size of a Tri-Star - a CP and a Pilot in both Dyneema and ballistic. Then I'll have to fill all four and parade around in front of the dog and see which one she applauds. I prefer the look and structure of the ballistic, but it seems like it will be overkill in a small bag. Now if I could have a Pilot in that olive parapack with the UV Dyneema...

I suppose the only reason to order a CP at this point is as a personal challenge, so I suppose I should let that lie.

Quote Originally Posted by binje View Post
    I suppose the only reason to order a CP at this point is as a personal challenge, so I suppose I should let that lie.
    I've owned two CPs. The first I returned. The second I used twice and then sold. Many people love it to pieces but I found it to be too small, and my daily carry list has less than your list. I just got a Pilot today (squee!) and my first impression was, "This is what the Co-Pilot should have been." It still looks and feels like a small bag but the size feels so much more useful. Time will tell, but my initial reaction is very favorable.

Neither the CP or the Pilot are, IMO, a purse-like object. They can be everyday carry bags, but sturdy and squarish and luggage-like ones. They aren't like tote bags. It's a bummer that you aren't a backpack person because I would recommend the Synapse (either the 19L or 25L versions) as an excellent choice for what you want to huck around. Actually, a Shop Bag or a Swift would work, too, if you used Travel Stuff Sacks or Packing Cubes to organize your items inside. They aren't designed for crossbody carry but might be something to look into if you decide a shoulder bag would work.

There is a new crossbody knitting bag in the works. It might also be an acceptable substitute for the dearly-departed Imago for non-knitters. Maybe this bag will suit you, if you can hold on a little while longer until it is available.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I'm one of those who finds the CP to be a perfect size. I use it when my wife and I are going out together and I don't plan on using my laptop, so the Smart Alec is just too big.

My carry: a medical bag (dyneema 3D organizer cube), parapack 3D organizer cube (containing random things), iPad case, two small cordura organizer pouches.

That leaves me with enough room for book still in the main compartment, and the center bottle compartment is completely empty. I usually dump snacks in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    There is a new crossbody knitting bag in the works. It might also be an acceptable substitute for the dearly-departed Imago for non-knitters. Maybe this bag will suit you, if you can hold on a little while longer until it is available.
    I somehow missed this! I've looked at the Little Swift for myself (as an awesome looking tote bag) and as a gift for my mother (who is a small-project knitter), but didn't consider it or a Swift as an EDC for a variety of reasons. But a crossbody knitting bag? Oooh.

How on earth do people on limited budgets decide on just one bag?

Accept defeat now. You could definitely fit your shoes into the Swift. It's a great EDC bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't. See thread " Aeronaut Jr., Where Art Thou?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    binje likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I meant vertically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by binje View Post
    I prefer the look and structure of the ballistic, but it seems like it will be overkill in a small bag.
    Quite honestly, I do too, but the Dyneema is just such a wonder fabric, that I am slowly shifting over to it for my preferences. I have a ballistic Imago, a Cordura LCB and Swift 19, and pretty much everything else (Pilot and Western Flyer, included) are Dyneema. I have yet to fall in love with the para-pack. I'm trying, but I just don't feel the love for it as I do over the other fabrics.

If I could have my way, I'd have the look and feel of Ballistic, with the weight of the Dyneema, but alas, that is not to be.
    kkintea likes this.

About the Synapse 19. I'm not a backpack person, either. But I agree with Janine that S19 would be ideal - it really is designed that well. It's very comfortable to carry, and adjusts well to big/small loads.

I had ordered a Pilot as a personal item, but I need more cheater space than the Pilot offered. I now have a steel Dyneema S19 (also have a navy/solar), and it will work great for Rome/Paris. (I like the flexible Dyneema better than cordura for S19 - and thrilled how well it works with my new PCSB.) S19 doesn't organize my Nexus 7 and SE quite as well as Pilot does, but I'll have extra space to cram a jacket or snacks.

P.S. I was a size 11, and it worked fine. Then I had 2 kids. ;-)
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 03-08-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    binje likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0