For the Ladies: How to transport cosmetic brushes?

I could do with some good advice: I took a small nitting-sack for all my cosmetics, I like that it opens so far and stands on its own, so that I can find everything easy. But I always use fullsice brushes for my eye-makeup and I have not found a good transportation for them. Some of them a quite pricey and I havened had the guts to just put them in a pencil case or such.
    I would love to hear how you are carrying yours and how they are holding up.

Since now I only had them standing up in a jar (?), but I have to get up really early sometimes and would love to have everything with me, so that I can make myself beautiful when I arrive at work.

Please let me now, if you have any experiences in this area.

Ilkyway

A makeup brush roll is great for travelling, especially one with a top flap. I do use tissue over the individual brush tops to keep the eyeshadow etc from transferring colour. Over the years I have also built up a collection of brushes with removable lids specifically to stay in the handbag makeup bag.

Would a medium organizing pouch work? I don't have pricey brushes (I buy mine from Target), but mine would work just fine in a pouch like that. I would wrap them in tissue to keep any color from transferring to the bag.

I cheat and use folding brushes for travel - they collapse down into a metal tube.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Although I've never used a makeup brush in my life, I am a frequent user of artist brushes.
    Granted, makeup brushes are a bit fluffier at times - a cloth wrap or a Japanese style roll would work quite nicely for the longer handles.

Scroll down on the left of this link,
    Brush Holders and Brush Organizers - Cheap Joe's Art Stuff
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 03-04-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Thank you all for sharing. I honestly hoped for a TB-Pouch to work. I have to admit, that I became quite a fan in the last 6 Month or so. These rolls for brushes look great... I have to think about that. Tissue is a good advice in any case.
    @ Trailhiker: you don't put your artist brushes in a TB-Pouch?

@ scribe: may I ask, what brand those brushes are? The travel-brushes I found so far (in Germany) are by far not as good as the full-sized ones.

Ilkyway

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Thank you all for sharing. I honestly hoped for a TB-Pouch to work.
    @Ilkyway I'd recommend the Kit, but that was recently retired.

TOM BIHN Blog - New Product: The Style Kit Pouch
    Where is the Tom Bihn makeup bag?
    Introducing the Style Kit Pouch

Tom on designing the Kit:
    I'd like to claim the Kit as a highly original design, but alas I cannot. I noted that a few Japanese women in my French class (in Montreal) had these very chic and subtle pencil cases -- the shape and construction of which sort of stuck in my head. So, when Ms. D asked for a cosmetics case, the Kit is what she got.

But don't be mislead by the story: you needn't be a woman to find this little bag useful and beautiful. The Kit also makes a great men's dopp kit. -- Tom
    Will tidy up links later
    moriond

Not being much of a makeup girl these days my ideas are somewhat limited. The first thing that comes to mind for the smaller brushes is a tooth brush holder. You can also find plastic tubing with various internal diameters at the local hardware stores. Pictures of what you find that works always appreciated.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    Would a medium organizing pouch work? I don't have pricey brushes (I buy mine from Target), but mine would work just fine in a pouch like that. I would wrap them in tissue to keep any color from transferring to the bag.
    I was thinking the pencil OP could work. The length is appropriate, but it might depend on how many and how bushy the brushes are.

ETA: The new knitting tool pouches might work too.
    Last edited by hamiltee; 03-04-2014 at 06:32 PM.

I picked up a makeup travel case at a Muji store in Paris. On one side of the case it has specific slots to hold full-sized makeup brushes and a flap of fabric to cover the brush heads. I'm sure they have them at the Muji stores in Japan too.

Unfortunately I did not see them in stock at the Muji store in New York. Here is one listed on eBay with photos.

Thank you moriond for the links, I missed out on the Kit, but that is okey because I love the nitting-pouch for all the makeup. As for the brushes: I think I will try the pencilcase and the long knitting tool pouch. I will go and ad thous to my pending order. I was just afraid, that those might be to tight and "hurt" my brushes. But there the idea of Moose with this tubes might come in handy.

When I now how and what and had a triel-run I post pictures. But that might take a little time, since my order is pending till late march.

Thank you all so much!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0