Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By monkeylady
  • 1 Post By monkeylady

Thread: Packing Cubes for Synapse 25?

Packing Cubes for Synapse 25?

Hi Everyone,
    I know this general topic has been addressed, but I have a specific question about the use of packing cubes in the Synapse 25. I am a student and often travel home for the weekend. I also babysit overnight one night a week. I have been using my Synapse 25 for a mixture of books, toiletries, and clothing on these occasions, but not very efficiently and I find myself squeezed for space. Can anyone recommend a packing cube that would fit in the Synapse 25 to pack clothing (generally a pair of pajamas and one outfit of size small/4 women's clothing) smaller and to separate books from clothing? On these occasions, In addition to the clothing, I generally end up carrying one fairly typically sized textbook, a large notebook, a half inch binder, a cylindrical pencil case, one large organizer pouch full of paper, a medium organizer pouch with my macbook charger in it, a 13" macbook in a cache, and some other small items easily stuffed into pockets. Any organizational advice for this type of use besides for the use of a packing cube for clothing would be welcome. I have been trying to convince myself I don't need a Brain Bag for this purpose and am hoping someone here can help convince me. Heck, why not ask too if anybody thinks there's a good way to use the Aeronaut instead. I think it's really too big and really not the ideal layout for books, but maybe others here have found interesting ways to utilize its space.

How are you currently packing it? Do your clothes fit in the bottom front pocket? If so, you should have lotsa room in main compartment for your school stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Janine likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I personally can't believe how long I persisted without the brain bag. You could easily use one compartment for computing and the other for clothes. There was a post a few days ago (?) about packing cubes in different backpacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

I would also try to fit the clothes in the bottom front pocket, but if I was set on a packing cube I'd try the packing cube shoulder bag.

So far, I have been able to fit most, but not all of the clothing in the bottom pocket. Maybe I should try again and be especially conscious to fold the clothing as small as I can. The problem is that I wear a lot of jeans which are pretty hard to pack smal. I thought a packing cube mint help keep things a bit compressed to avoid taking up as much room as they do now.

It sort of seems to me that you are trying to get your EDC plus clothes into your bag for overnights/weekends, and that seems to be the primary reason why not everything is fitting. For the overnights, is it imperative that you bring a pair of jeans? I don't know if you need to change your pants every day so ymmv; if you can get away with wearing the same jeans two days in a row, you should be fine.

For weekend trips, pack only what's necessary. Do you need the binder, notebook, and large OP full of paper? Can you scale down these items so you'll have more room for clothes? Do you need all your pencils, or could you just pack a couple into the S25's pen slots? I understand needing some pens, some paper, etc., but I am quite certain that you can pack much less of these items in order to better accommodate your clothing, and make the bag lighter to carry as well.

Your load-out doesn't sound like quite enough to warrant using the Aeronaut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The large Eagle Creek Specter cube also fits nicely in the S25 in upright position in the main compartment, but it might be larger than what you need. The half cube is an option. They are extremely lightweight. There is also a compression cube which I have never used.

I also have an interest in how to pack the S25 more efficiently. I would like to use it as my main bag for two week vacations, but for clothing only. My "toys" will go in my Pilot and stay under the airplane seat in front of me. I went to the TB store last week and messed with cubes. For my purposes the one that fit the Synapse best in the main compartment was the PCSB. You can stack two. Haven't tried it yet, but it will likely fit the front pocket as well. I looked at the Snake Charmer and know it also fits the front pocket. But, I don't have any snakes to tame, but I do have socks and underwear to house. Have any women used it this way, and how much can one fit in there although I realize SMV?

Badger, good point about the pants. I really could get away with wearing the same jeans two days in a row (and often do just that). However, there will still be some trips where I'll want to have a spare pair of pants. Unfortunately all of the school stuff needs to come with. I don't always end up needing everything, but can't afford not to have what I do need. The paper in the large OP are actually all readings and notes, not just blank paper. As for the pens, the pencil case is really never a problem to fit in. That's why I tend to just bring the whol thing rather than just a pen or two.

Monkeylady, thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at the Eagle Creek cubes. How much will fit into the PCSB? Should I be able to get everything I listed into one? If it will fit into the bottom pocket I'm guessing not quite, but maybe because a packing cube should be easier to pack efficiently. If everything will fit it may be a very good solution.

Also, I packed my textbook, notebook, and laptop, horizontally today and actually really like having the bag packed that way. I expected it to feel heavier, but it actually feels lighter and quite a bit more comfortable than having everything packed vertically. It also allows me to make better use of the height of both the height of the bag because there's more room to stack things. Does anyone know if there's a packing cube that's approximately half the height of the Synapse 25 and around the same width as the bag? Would that be the PCSB?

Heh, yeb90. The PCSB fits half the interior of the S25. It also fits the front lower pocket. Given that you are a demure size, your clothes should fit if you roll them. If not, you wouldn't have so much overflow that you couldn't stash into the main compartment. I have used size 2 stuff sacks for socks and underwear to "moosh" (a technical packing term) down around gear in the main compartment. Then my main packing cube(s) are totally devoted to tops, pants, a sweater or fleece, and a packable primaloft. But I'm WAAAAYYY bigger than you are, being a plus-sized mama.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0