Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Looking for a photo of a Tri-Star, and a question about the Aeronaut

Looking for a photo of a Tri-Star, and a question about the Aeronaut

Could anyone (and by anyone, I mean, particularly moriond, who seems to have an encyclopedic grasp of these forums), answer these two questions:

1. Does anyone have a real-life photo of a fully packed Tri-Star, that is not all bulgy and floppy? Not the Tom Bihn video, but a 'regular' person? I'd be particularly interested in seeing a black dyneema version, or any dyneema one. In the TB video it looks great but is actually holding very few clothes.

2. Did TB ever give a time frame for the release of the smaller Aeronaut? I seem to remember this being mentioned somewhere but can't find the thread.

As you can probably tell I'm taking a second look at these two bags. The current Aeronaut is a little large for me, and I actually sold mine because I found I wasn't using it. I am really hoping the new version will be slightly smaller, but not a lot smaller. The style of the Aeronaut really suits me best, but I'm trying to reconsider the Tri-Star as well.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 02-26-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Here is mine with a pretty huge load-o-stuff!

TriStar Ready to Go!

Volunteer Moderator
    I have a picture of my fully packed Tri-Star but it is probably a bit bulgy:

This is a picture of my Indigo Ballistic Nylon Tri-Star and Synapse packed for the return from an 11-day trip to China that included a conference and later sightseeing/travel. My laptop is in the Synapse, but various books, purchased items, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and my Little Swift are all in the center section of the Tri-Star. There is also a small, folding umbrella and a nylon shell jacket in the water bottle pocket.

I would say that this was packed pretty full in real life use. I haven't seen a lot of Black Dyneema Tri-Star pictures posted to the forums (at least, not with the bags packed), but they've fixed the Advanced Search functions, so I can take a look.

With regard to the smaller Aeronaut, I recall asking when Skokum dog started posting their duffels. The feedback was that this was still in the works, but not quite ready to debut, yet. So bottom line is that although I've heard this is something Tom has been working on finishing up, and that might appear this year, I don't really know how far along this is. I'm waiting for this, too.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 02-26-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    taminca likes this.

Thanks, moriond. That's helpful. I had one, a long time ago, and it always did end up looking like that. That shape was hard for me to carry, particularly given my short height, so I sold it. I have this idea that if I had packed it correctly, or got it in dyneema, it would somehow have been flatter, but given the amount of stuff I take with me that probably isn't the case.

As you probably know from my other posts I LOVE the smaller TB bags, such as the Pilots and Synapse. However I have ended up using a rollerboard for my main bag lately, because none of the larger bags have really worked for me. I might wait for the new Aeronaut and see what they decide to do with it. I have the Western Flyer, and that is really great, but for international trips it isn't enough.

P.S. Your bags are very pretty!

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Thanks, moriond. That's helpful. I had one, a long time ago, and it always did end up looking like that. That shape was hard for me to carry, particularly given my short height, so I sold it. I have this idea that if I had packed it correctly, or got it in dyneema, it would somehow have been flatter, but given the amount of stuff I take with me that probably isn't the case.

As you probably know from my other posts I LOVE the smaller TB bags, such as the Pilots and Synapse. However I have ended up using a rollerboard for my main bag lately, because none of the larger bags have really worked for me. I might wait for the new Aeronaut and see what they decide to do with it. I have the Western Flyer, and that is really great, but for international trips it isn't enough.

My TriStar always looked like Moriond's as well, when fully packed. I found the bulging made it very uncomfortable to carry too. I'm 5'6". Now my husband uses it.

Here's mine. It's not a Black Dyneema TS but it is Dyneema, and I have put it next to my Black Dyneema S25 for your reference. I have mentioned in the past that if I was going to do it over, I would have gone with ballistic for my TS, but that's just personal preference. Both bags are empty-ish because I have nowhere to go If you'd like me pack it with my typical load-out just holler and I'll do it tomorrow. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393462825.389601.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  99.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393462872.388693.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  96.0 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding a smaller Aeronaut, perhaps we should reinvigorate our expressions of interest in this bag, so Mr. TB gets on the stick!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Thanks, Badger. Very helpful color comparison. Next time you do pack for a trip (and I'm sure you'll have one soon), please do take a photo for me!
    Monkeylady, I agree. They did a good job on the Pilot. I hope the Aeronaut Mini is next.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    This is a picture of my Indigo Ballistic Nylon Tri-Star and Synapse packed for the return from an 11-day trip to China that included a conference and later sightseeing/travel.
    Ah... Indigo. Alas, I was too late in discovering TB and can only admire Indigo from afar...

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    With regard to the smaller Aeronaut, I recall asking when Skokum dog started posting their duffels. The feedback was that this was still in the works, but not quite ready to debut, yet. So bottom line is that although I've heard this is something Tom has been working on finishing up, and that might appear this year, I don't really know how far along this is. I'm waiting for this, too.
    Me, three. And, with apologies to everyone, I hope it does not appear until later in the year. My bank account needs time to recover.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    And, with apologies to everyone, I hope it does not appear until later in the year. My bank account needs time to recover.
    Well, based on what I saw a couple of days ago here at the factory, I'm not sure if that's something we can guarantee…
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Well, based on what I saw a couple of days ago here at the factory, I'm not sure if that's something we can guarantee…
    OH BOY!!! My heart is racing, my hands are clammy, my mouth is dry! Quick....somebody pass me my Side Effect so I can grab my credit card from my Organizer Wallet!!,
    DESPERATELY SEEKING: Black/Iberian Western Flyer, AND Black/Iberian Citizen Canine
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Black/Iberian Aeronaut, Iberian PCBP, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Iberian Travel Stuff Sacks (all 4 sizes), Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

The great tease begins! I could use a drink! And it's only 9 AM here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

This is very exciting. Can't wait to see what TB has planned!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    OH BOY!!! My heart is racing, my hands are clammy, my mouth is dry! Quick....somebody pass me my Side Effect so I can grab my credit card from my Organizer Wallet!!,
    I literally LOL'd at work, so true and a hilarious comment, haha
    Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch | Various Key Straps

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    My TriStar always looked like Moriond's as well, when fully packed. I found the bulging made it very uncomfortable to carry too. I'm 5'6". Now my husband uses it.
    In all honesty, the amount of bulge depends on how much I pack into the center compartment of the Tri-Star. For a lot of trips, the packed Tri-Star isn't that bulgy. I have a tendency to pick up books when I travel at length. (Yes, I have a Kindle for convenience, and it's a convenient way to access books when I travel, but I still prefer to have paper copies of any books that I really like, and also take along at least one book in paper format).

Thanks, the Synapse dates from the first production run of the original Synapse, and the Tri-Star also comes from the first Tri-Star production run. The only item I've had to replace is the luggage tag, which developed a crack when it got banged into a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Ah... Indigo. Alas, I was too late in discovering TB and can only admire Indigo from afar...
    Is this the wrong time to point out that there's an Indigo Tri-Star currently up for auction at eBay?
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    The great tease begins!
    Indeed, will await any details of the smaller Aeronaut with interest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0