Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Melissa
  • 1 Post By Frank II
  • 1 Post By Trailhiker
  • 1 Post By tCook

Thread: Personal item?

Question Personal item?

I know for flying without checking in luggage we are restricted to one carry-on item and one personal item. For EDC I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Side Effect, but for traveling to Europe, I want to bring my iPad, my mini iPad, and noise canceling headphones, so I purchased a Ristretto for iPad. I can fit everything comfortably in the Ristretto, including adaptors, cables, etc. I can't, however, fit my beloved Side Effect in the Ristretto. I purchased some Tom Bihn double carabiner clips with the intention of using them to create some original dressier shoulder straps for my Side Effect. But, the light bulb went on and this is what I came up with. This will be my first time traveling to Europe. So my question to you seasoned traveler is this: Will this set up count as one personal item?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  458.5 KB

Views: 413
Size:  747.3 KB

Views: 409
Size:  894.6 KB
    Last edited by Melissa; 02-26-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    DESPERATELY SEEKING: Black/Iberian Western Flyer, AND Black/Iberian Citizen Canine
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Black/Iberian Aeronaut, Iberian PCBP, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Iberian Travel Stuff Sacks (all 4 sizes), Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

Volunteer Moderator
    An excellent Piggyback solution, Melissa!

Cheers!
    Zephyr (Black/Steel), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Smart Alec (Black/Steel), Brain Bag (Back/Steel), Aeronaut (Black/Iberian) + PCBP & PCSB (400D Nordic), Tristar (Black/Iberian) + PCBP (400D Nordic), Checkpoint Flyer (Black/Indigo/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells (Black, 1, 2S, 4Z, 3), Vertical & Horizontal Freudian Slips, Camera I/O, TT (400D Nordic), Lead's Pocket (Black)

There is no "yes" or "no" answer. It's going to depend on the airline and the gate agent.

What I would do is wear the Side Effect side against your body so all the gate agent sees is the Ristretto.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

First, you will want to be sure that you are allowed two pieces of cabin luggage on each leg of your trip. Some European airlines limit you to just one carry-on. If you know you're entitled to two pieces, I think you can get away with your piggy-back solution, especially if you wear the Ristretto with the SE next to your body. It kind of looks like it's one bag so if your airline isn't very strict I doubt it would matter. If, however, your carrier requires your personal item to conform to a certain weight, you'll want to be sure that the two bags and their combined contents don't exceed the limit.

Just out of curiosity: an iPad and an iPad mini?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post

Just out of curiosity: an iPad and an iPad mini?

I prefer the mini because it's less cumbersome; my husband prefers the regular iPad for watching in flight (or in hotel room) movies. Hubby hasn't caught the "one-bag" travel bug yet. He broke his neck some years back, so I get to carry the personal item and he uses a roller bag.

Incidentally, we are flying Delta to and from Italy. It is a group of us going through our local chamber of commerce. The tour company has reiterated that we can carry one carry-on and one personal on both legs of the trip. HOWEVER, I have practiced packing with 13 complete changes of clothes; I filled the center compartment only half way and did not have anything yet in the side pockets. (We are only going for 9-10 days, so I will be trimming the packing list which will give me more space.) Therefore, I know that I'll have enough room if I have to put the Ristretto into the a Aeronaut. It just won't be as easily accessible during the flight.

And if any forum members are wondering how I got so many changes of clothes into my bag, a jersey dress designed with the traveler in mind takes up a LOT less space than pants and a shirt. Patagonia dresses are great!!!

Because I have so much leftover space, I am trolling eBay in the hopes of snagging a black/Iberian Western Flyer. Bchaplin had one listed but somebody got it at the last nano second using "Snype" (sp?).

If anyone has a black/Iberian Western Flyer they would like to re-home so they can upgrade to a TriStar or Aeronaut, keep me in mind!
    Last edited by Melissa; 02-26-2014 at 01:57 PM.
    DESPERATELY SEEKING: Black/Iberian Western Flyer, AND Black/Iberian Citizen Canine
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Black/Iberian Aeronaut, Iberian PCBP, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Iberian Travel Stuff Sacks (all 4 sizes), Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

If you're going by Delta, you're golden. And it's very nice of you to carry your husband's iPad. Hopefully after carrying his stuff (and negotiating cobbled streets with a suitcase) all over Italy, he might be persuaded to try something different. 😁

Good luck on your trip to Italy - it's my favourite place in Europe (I'd happily live in Venice if I could afford it!).

Sounds like you'll be OK with Delta. It's only the budget airlines here that are really strict, and even then it seems pretty random. Last week we flew to Spain with EasyJet, who supposedly have a strict one-bag policy. They let me on with a vintage 80s waist bag plus a holdall (had to stuff my shoulder bag into the holdall), and on the late evening flight home with a shoulder bag (roughly SCB-sized) and the holdall - it just depends on how busy they are and how many parents with strollers turn up.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Melissa,

In the quest of navigating past airline check in, u may consider looking into a Scottvest
    ( for your husband as well).
    Women's Travel Vests, Travel Clothing, Wrinkle-Free, Lightweight:SCOTTEVEST, INC./SeV
    Travel Vests, Travel Clothing, Wrinkle-Free, Lightweight:SCOTTEVEST, INC./SeV

You could always dump your contents (and more) into let's say the travel vest, along with a flattened Side Effect and reassemble it upon boarding.

Note, having the travel vest in both black and olive keep in mind that it does have a high collar,
    Which I find a little sticky when traveling in tropical climates, they have yet to come out with a more tropical version.

For their weather related chart see this page ,,
    Travel Vests, Travel Clothing, Wrinkle-Free, Lightweight:SCOTTEVEST, INC./SeV

Cheers,
    t-h

(Btw, thanks for the link on the other thread. )
    eWalker likes this.

Not to complicate matters....but it sounds like the Pilot was made especially for you....you could fit all your tech gear AND your SE in a side pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

^I was thinking what monkeylady actually said. I didn't want to mention it though because that Ristretto is amazeballs and I wouldn't want to steal its thunder. The Pilot does come in Black/Iberian though. Just saying.

Thanks for the info....the Pilot (and co-pilot), although practical, is just too boxy for me. When I watched the most recent Aeronaut video, one of the couples (tcook I think), packed the Ristretto with the gorgeous Iberian lining, and I was obsessed. If I am knitting a smaller project, like socks, I can fit the sided effect inside the Ristretto. But with a 10-1/2 hour flight each way to Italy, I will need a larger project to occupy my time.

If I can piggyback my Side Effect, I will have both my smaller bags easily accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    one of the couples (tcook I think), packed the Ristretto with the gorgeous Iberian lining
    Yes! I don't even own a full-size iPad, but I adore that Ristretto! Carried it today, as a matter of fact, when I downsized from my EDC Synapse 19. Except that yesterday and tomorrow's EDC is the Smart Alec. But I digress. I'm so glad you love your Ristretto, too!
    Melissa likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0