Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By moriond

Thread: iPad mini in a SuperDrive organiser pouch ?

iPad mini in a SuperDrive organiser pouch ?

Hi. I'm looking for something that I can use to carry both my iPad mini (with Logitech keyboard) and folding Sennheiser headphones. I need to be able get this single container in & out of my Tri-Star easily when getting on & off flights. I considered the padded organiser pouch for the SuperDrive as the dimensions look about right.

Does anybody have any experience of this ? Would the iPad mini fit past the zip OK ?

Grateful for any feedback ...

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by UK-Limey View Post
    Hi. I'm looking for something that I can use to carry both my iPad mini (with Logitech keyboard) and folding Sennheiser headphones. I need to be able get this single container in & out of my Tri-Star easily when getting on & off flights. I considered the padded organiser pouch for the SuperDrive as the dimensions look about right.

Does anybody have any experience of this ? Would the iPad mini fit past the zip OK ?

Grateful for any feedback ...
    The padded organizer pouch for the SuperDrive is a little too small to fit an iPad Mini. Basically, if you lay your iPad Mini on top of this pouch, youl'll find the top and bottom edges of the Mini lie on the black piping that goes around the edge of the closed pouch -- and that's without trying to open the pouch and insert the Mini in past the zipper. I can use the padded SuperDrive Pouch to store a Kindle PaperWhite (in either orientation, although inserting it vertically and not having to angle it into the zipper opening is slightly easier), but if I tried to insert my iPad Mini into the padded SuperDrive Pouch, it would have to go in vertically, and the top edge of the Mini would stick out a little less than an inch over the top edge of the pouch, or about 1 3/8" above the opening of the zipper.

You can fit your iPad Mini into a Medium Size padded organizer pouch, or a regular Medium Size Pouch. I can insert my iPad Mini in its case into the Medium size padded pouch. (This is the same iPad Mini in case that I have been carrying inside my 400d Black Dyneema Side Effect, along with my Kindle, shown in the Side Effect is Good Match to iPad Mini thread ). I'd need more information about the Logitech keyboard and the Sennheiser headphones to know whether you could fit these in. There's room for a small pouch with earbuds, for example. You can see pictures of the Padded Organizer pouches for the SuperDrive and for the Medium organizer pouch in this Kindle Paperwhite… thread.

HTH.

Typo

Hi Moriond. Thanks for your help, much appreciated !

I would love to use a SE as my iPad mini case, it would be 100% perfect. But mine is in ballistic so just will not fit. A dyneema SE would probably not give enough protection so that is why I am looking at the padded pouches. My keyboard is exactly the same size as the iPad mini itself, just adds about 5mm to the overall depth. The headphones when folded are in pouch 130mm x 100mm x 30mm.

The medium padded pouch looks OK when I draw the size out on paper. Do you think both items would fit in together ? Or would the headphones make it bulge too much and make the zip difficult to fasten ?

Would be interested to hear your expert opinion ...
    Last edited by UK-Limey; 02-27-2014 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Typo

Volunteer Moderator

iPad Mini with Logitech keyboard and Sennheiser headphones in medium padded pouch

@UK-limey I estimate that the medium padded pouch would be a close fit, but should work to hold your iPad Mini with Logitech keyboard and Sennheiser headphones. I tried inserting my iPad Mini in its case, with items that approximate the space of your headphones into the medium pouch. My SwitchEasy Canvas case for the iPad Mini adds 17mm to the thickness of the iPad Mini -- the magnetic cover is about the 5 mm thickness of your keyboard, and the bottom of the enclosing hard case shell rests on a wrap-around flap of similar thickness to the cover, that can be used to prop up the iPad into different viewing positions:

Side view:

The net effect of the case is to add 12 mm to the depth dimension of the iPad Mini over the 5mm that your Logitech keyboard contributes, so I placed two items of about 20 mm thickness on top of my iPad Mini in its case, and inserted it into the medium pouch (65mm x 105 mm x 20 mm and 65mm x 85mm x 20 mm). Side by side, they approximate (130 mm x 105 mm x 20 mm), and the 12 mm thickness added throughout the pouch by the extra flaps of the iPad Mini case over the 5 mm depth of your keyboard should be a fair approximation of (130 mm x 105 mm x 32 mm). (By the way, the difficult dimension to approximate is the 100 mm width).

I'm using an older medium padded pouch, so there may be slight differences in the fit, based on slight differences with the current padding material. However, I also tried this with the medium Ballistic Organizer pouch, which also fit. Will attach pictures in a separate post.

I have at least 3 different styles of fabric in my padded pouches: the one used in the medium padded pouch I tested is my favorite of the three. It uses the denser foam that was used in the caches for the original Cadet, and I have caches or padded pouches of this type in black, charcoal gray, and platinum (the color of the medium padded pouch I used). My impression of current caches of similar size to cache versions I have with the denser foam, is that the fit is sewn slightly tighter now with the current fabrics, but I don't know whether this extends to the padded pouches. I didn't have problems closing the zippers when I tried this with both a medium padded pouch and a medium pouch in Ballistic nylon. (You'll have a tighter fit with the padded pouch, but I think it is still an acceptable fit.)

HTH. Will try to upload pictures in a second post (will have to be from my iPad camera using Tapatalk).

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Picture of iPad Mini and extra items (to simulate (130mm x 105mm x 20mm) usage on top of the extra 17 mm thickness from my iPad Mini case), all lying on top of a (platinum color) Medium Padded Organizer Pouch. To the right is a (black) SuperDrive Organizer Pouch. You can see that the SuperDrive Organizer pouch wouldn't fit the iPad Mini at all (though it could be used to hold a Kindle PaperWhite). The clock is slightly longer than the 105mm width of your headphones pouch, while in the other dimension clock + Minolta Digital Camera totals 130mm)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393615976.281513.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  88.3 KB
    Side view of items in the open medium pouch. This is what the items look like inside the padded pouch. I've had to prop the upright pouch up against a cardboard box to support it.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393616312.149846.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  102.0 KB
    Side view of padded pouch zipped close. The zipper closed easily, but you can see how much "bulge" there is.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393616436.253495.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  99.1 KB
    Side view of items in a medium size (Forest) Ballistic Nylon Organizer Pouch. A little easier to slip in, without the additional padding.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393616541.567675.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  95.6 KB
    Side view of closed (Ballistic Nylon) pouch. Also a little less bulgy when closed.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393616705.085572.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  103.5 KB

Will have to post remaining pictures in next post because of the 5 picture per post upload limit.

Volunteer Moderator
    Front view of closed padded pouch with iPad Mini and simulation items
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393616840.096202.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  117.2 KB
    Front view of closed Ballistic Nylon pouch with iPad Mini and simulation items.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393616903.547295.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  136.0 KB

Summary: I estimate that I can fit your items into my Medium Padded Pouch. I can substitute the charging base for the Minolta, which is about as long as the 105mm length of the clock, but which has a lumpy vertical shape which is difficult to measure, and still close the pouch -- so I'm pretty sure the dimensions of items you gave will work in the Medium Padded Pouch that I have.

I _think_ the current caches using a slightly different padding fabric tend to fit slightly more tightly, but I don't know whether that carries over to the padded pouches. As an alternative, I'm sure that the current medium Ballistic Nylon pouches can hold your iPad Mini, Logitech Keyboard, and Sennheiser headphones based on the dimensions you gave, and the Ballistic Nylon should also provide some support. The fit will be tighter using a Medium Padded Pouch in place of Ballistic Nylon, but I can't tell by how much for the current generation of padded pouches, since my padded pouches came from an older fabrication batch, and use denser foam padding.

HTH. Sorry for the confusion of pictures (taken with iPad, as the only device which is convenient to use for the upload right now), but perhaps this will give you enough information to make a decision.

moriond

Thanks again for that !

I've ordered the padded pouch, I am sure it will be OK. Obviously I just had to add some more items to the order. I am not sure I could allow myself just a single TB item !

Just waiting for the package to wing it's way across the Atlantic ...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0