Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: iPad Mini + Fuji x100 = Which bag?

iPad Mini + Fuji x100 = Which bag?

I'm looking for a small EDC-type bag to carry an iPad Mini, a Fuji x100, and a handful of other small items (tiny Moleskin, pens, etc.) I'm considering the Ristretto iPad bag but wasn't sure if the x100 will fit? FYI: the x100 is about the size of a small micro 4/3's camera (it looks very much like an old-school rangefinder 35.)

Another thought is to get a Small or Medium Cafe Bag but then I have to keep the iPad and camera from banging in to each other.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

I had to look up the Fuji x100 and almost wish I hadn't because dang, it's sweet. Never mind that I own a very serviceable m4/3 camera and that I'm not a great photographer by any means.

Anyway.

I do think that you could get everything into a ristretto for iPad but it's not really optimal for carrying an iPad mini. The built-in cache will be way bigger than you need and it takes up most of the interior space.

If it's helpful, I can carry my (regular, non-sexy) iPad and my (suddenly disappointing and inadequate) camera in my MCB with room to spare using a cache for iPad and a Lowepro camera pouch. I believe you could get your kit into a SCB as well, but since I don't have one handy to test please don't take me at my word.

The upside to using a cafe bag of either size is that you have more flexible space to work with and can use accessories that are sized specifically for your tablet. If you use the ristretto, you get a dedicated outside pocket that does not cannibalize space from the main compartment, built-in protection, and ballistic nylon, which might or might not be important to you.

I hope owners of SCBs and Ristretti can weigh in more definitively, but I know for sure that a MCB would work.

HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the sounds of it, a co-pilot would work well for you. I recently took a 3 week trip and easily fit my micro 4/3 panasonic gx7, ipad, and lots of other accessories. I have an X100s and it would have fit as well if I wanted to take it with me.

For what it's worth, the co-pilot back compartment perfectly fits a "ONA The Roma Camera Insert and Bag Organizer", which can be found here: Amazon.com: ONA The Roma Camera Insert and Bag Organizer - Black: Camera & Photo

It was perfect for further organization of the main compartment and it's padded for your camera gear and other small electronics.

Yeah, Badger, I bought the Fuji used, wondering if I'd like it. Yep. I love it, especially the viewfinder. A genuine optical viewfinder! As my near vision went south a few years back – I need reading glasses or much longer arms – it's been great to work with and has become the only camera I bring (besides iPhone) when I travel. Yeah, the Cafe bag may be the more flexible way to go ... but I really like the pocket and fabric on the Ristretto.

Tangfj, I considered the co-pilot but I think it's a little bigger than what I want. I'm really aiming for small and light, though maybe the co-pilot is smaller than what I'm imagining from the pictures.

I wish I was going to be in Seattle soon so I could see all of these bags in person.

I replied here last night but then got a popup about my message needing moderation. I'm not sure if it will ever appear or if that was a fluke. The gist of the message was:

1. The Fuji X100 is awesome. It's become my regular travel camera. My near vision is lousy so I really appreciate the optical viewfinder.
    2. The flexibility of the Cafe bags is appealing but I really like the fabric, front pocket, and changeable straps of the Ristretto.
    3. I looked at the co-pilot but thought it might be a little larger than I need. I've got a slew of other bags (A problem? Nahhhh. and the co-pilot duplicates other bags of that size, or so I think based on the web site info (having never seen one).

I don't own either of the cafe bags you mentioned but I don't find the co-pilot to be big at all. The dimensions of it may seem big compared to the small and medium cafe bag but if it's not filled all the way it compresses quite a bit, especially if you get it in dyneema. Also, the pockets make the bag perfect for a day bag to carry around your camera since there are different discrete compartments vs one large opening which allows for keeping your x100 separate from anything that could potentially damage it.

By the way, for those interested in the x100, I highly recommend looking at the x100s. It's more or less the same camera but with faster auto focus. I used to have the x100 but upgraded to the x100s. I'm very happy with it so far. If you don't care about getting faster auto focus, though, the original x100 is a good deal now especially if you can get one used.

Volunteer Moderator
    @bransom I completely "get" your desire for the Ballistic Nylon material and the flexible strap options of the Ristretto, and guessed this was the reason behind your original query. I don't have a new design Ristretto in the iPad size (mine is the louder Cordura). Basically, most of the responses you're getting are based on the multi-purpose use of these bags. Also, there's a lot of love for the Co-Pilot on the forums, because of its surprising adaptability/configurabilty upon closer acquaintance, as well as the ability to pack down when not loaded.

You might take a look at the links to external reviews of the Ristretto for iPad. I think the Wirecutter review does a reasonable summary with pictures, and according to your specs, the Ristretto for iPad would probably be the right size bag for you. I also think you can use the Small Cafe Bag, which is available in 420d HTC Nylon Parapack and 400d Dyneema as well as Cordura. The advantage of the Ristretto is the separate compartments, but this also means you can't reconfigure the space in the bag. While the Ristretto for iPad was designed to fit an iPad in the separate padded pocket, I don't think this works badly for using the iPad Mini, which comes in at about 7/8th the length of the iPad. The Ristretto for iPad was one of the bags called ou in the CNet review of cases and bags for the iPad Mini. To give you the other side viewpoint (of someone who switched from using a Ristretto for iPad to the Co-Pilot), take a look at this Dafacto Blog review of the Co-Pilot. That user was generally carrying more than you plan to carry with your Ristretto.

Maybe someone who is using the current generation Ristretto to carry an iPad Mini can weigh into the discussion.

HTH.

moriond

P.S. I carry my iPad Mini and Kindle Paperwhite in a Side Effect inside of a Little Swift. that's probably not a combination you would use.
    WenV likes this.

Tangfj, the x100s is on my upgrade list for the summer. The faster autofocus and hopefully quicker restart-after-sleep time will be great to have. Moriond, the DeFacto review was interesting. You guys have me seriously considering the co-pilot now. I like the idea that it's even lighter than the Ristretto. Lightness is one thing I'm really aiming for ... I kind of want to forget that I'm carrying it. Also, I went and looked up the Little Swift. Uh, yeah, I don't think that's gonna work for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One other thing to consider if you are leaning towards the co-pilot is that (at least for me) the co-pilot worked much better with the regular strap instead of the absolute strap. I wear my co-pilot mostly across the body in a messenger style rather than over some shoulder. The sticky nature of the absolute strap just does not work well for carrying the co-pilot messenger style and the regular strap allowed me to quickly flip the bag from my side to the front of me to easily access the contents.

Anyway, food for thought... As an aside, you'll be very happy when you do upgrade to the x100s! If you have the opportunity, you may also want to check out some micro 4/3 options. I used to own the olympus omd and now own the panasonic gx7 and I must say that I'm very impressed with the gx7 and micro 4/3 in general. Having the ability to switch lenses in such a small package is indeed very nice!

That's good to know about the Absolute strap. It sounds like i carry my bag in a similar way: I typically wear my messenger cross-body and kind of slung behind me then pull it around when necessary. I've also got an Absolute strap on another bag so I can always pull it off to try it out on the co-pilot.

Yeah, there are some really nice 4/3 cameras, all of which I've avoided so far. I'm trying to keep my "toy" addiction in check. I actually find the fixed focal length of the Fuji sort of refreshing in that it forces me to think more since I can't just zoom in or easily change lenses. I added the WPL-X100 adapter lens for a slightly wider view, and that seems to work well for me in urban settings. But since it's a screw-mount, I tend to just put it on and leave it.

I think I may go ahead and order the co-pilot to see if I like it. I figure I can always return it if it doesn't work.

I'm piping in for the Ristretto here. I LOVE mine. It will definitely hold you gear. I will post pics of what I carry in mine for comparison.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  423.4 KB
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

And this is what I currently have in my Ristretto:

iPad in Smart Cover
    iPad mini in Smart Case
    iPhone
    Large glasses case for sunglasses
    Regular size glasses case for glasses
    Pen
    Case with ear buds
    Mini OP with knitting tools
    Mini OP with coins
    Organizer Wallet
    Travel tray with current knitting project (including 5 hanks of yarn
    Case with full set of interchangeable knitting needles

Views: 986
Size:  396.0 KB
Views: 899
Size:  362.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  793.6 KB
    Last edited by moriond; 02-26-2014 at 10:56 AM. Reason: ETA pics
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

I can't figure out why the 4th picture is upside down or why it won't let me delete. [Can Moderator delete?]

Melissa,

Nice set-up!

Could you post the link for your knitting needle case?
    It may work as a nice case for art brushes and such.
    Thanx!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    I can't figure out why the 4th picture is upside down or why it won't let me delete. [Can Moderator delete?]
    Melissa, I'm not sure how the original post got messed up, but I edited, went into "Go Advanced" and under a "Manage Attachments" option I deleted the attachment that was upside down. I couldn't initially make editing changes to the post itself and have it view correctly, but the last step seemed to do the trick. Hope this was what you wanted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0