Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By hamiltee
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By KatrinkaWinkle
  • 1 Post By hamiltee
  • 2 Post By flitcraft
  • 2 Post By Rufus

Thread: Does stuff fall in/out of the cafe bags?

Does stuff fall in/out of the cafe bags?

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a small cafe bag to carry a few items on my commute (ipad mini, wallet, Kindle paper white, and my ID cards.

Considering the open flap design on top, I am slightly worried that stuff will fall in (rain, dirt, etc). I don't really expect to have anything fall out though since what I'd be carrying is big enough not to slip out.

Anyway, just wondering if there was a way to more securely fasten the top of the bag.

Thanks!

My EDC is a Small CB. I love it! I haven't had a problem with things falling in or out. I keep a thin, minimalist wallet in the zippered, front pocket along with a Pocket Pouch. I also use key straps to keep keys in place. A Stuff Sack #2 keeps smaller bits together (small notepad, lip balm, etc.). I keep key iPhone and Kleenex pack in the larger interior pocket and pens in the pen slots. All stay put.

The front flap covers the top well, and I can't say I've considered the need for securing it further. I slip my hand inside to get my eyeglass case or key strap, and it smooths close easily when I'm done. I toss the bag in the back seat of my car twice a day, and as long as the front flap's clasp is closed, the contents have stayed put.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  148.6 KB

I also use a Medium CB for travel and it goes under the seat in planes. Organizer Pouches and Stuff Sacks keep smaller, loose items together. I can't say I give a second thought about things falling out. Both bags have been great!
    Moose and Rufus like this.

I've never had anything fall out. I do keep really important stuff attached to a key strap and O ring. When I carry the bag I keep the flap closed(and next to my body) never had an issue.
    Moose

Hamiltee, never thought to put smaller bits in a stuff sack. Thanks!
    Last edited by Moose; 02-23-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    Rufus likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

The only time I've had stuff fall out was when I was running to catch a bus and dropped the bag. After that happened, I started putting smaller things in organizer pouches (ala Moose and hamiltee) and clipped them onto the o rings. After that, when I dropped it (kinda clumsy), it was just a matter of stuffing the pouches back in.

Lost my first reply

I carry a SCB or MCB most days as my EDC and have never had a problem. I do clip in my wallet OP and keys. I also keep loose things in the #2 Travel Sack, as hamiltee also does. In fact, when I saw that photo, my first thought was, "Hey! That's my bag!" LOL

I got caught in a torrential downpour / flash flood one day with my MCB. In the 20 feet from the door to my car, I was soaked through all my clothes and the Storm MCB was completely wet on the outside. But not one single thing inside got wet.

I would imagine if you somehow dropped it and it slid, I could see something sliding out, but that's true of any bag. Just clip in the important stuff.
    Rufus likes this.
    SE: b-Aubergine; c-Plum Indigo; d-Steel Nordic Black Solar Wasabi; pp-Olive

SWIFT: Turquoise Plum Hemp Aubergine Olive Kiwi INDIGO!!!!
    PCSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic
    SSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic
    LSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic Black

SCB: Plum Nordic Cocoa d-Black/Solar d-Nordic/Solar
    MCB: Plum Nordic Storm Cocoa d-Nordic/Solar d-Black/Solar

IMAGO: Indigo/Plum, Navy/Cork, Black, Cocoa
    CO-PILOT: Indigo
    AERONAUT 45: Indigo

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post

I also keep loose things in the #2 Travel Sack, as hamiltee also does. In fact, when I saw that photo, my first thought was, "Hey! That's my bag!" LOL
    Hehe. Great minds think alike! You'll have to join us, Moose.
    Moose likes this.

Hi, thanks everyone for the great feedback. It seems like it's really necessary to use some kind of organization pouch, so it looks like I will get the stuff sack #2 and either a small or medium-sized organization pouch. Looking forward to it.

I've never had anything fall out of either my MCB or SCB.

I've been using Café Bags (S, M and L) for years and had no problems with things falling out of them. The reason I like to use organizer pouches is for just that--organization. It's easier to find little things when they're corralled into an organizer pouch. For example, I used a LCB bag recently as a day bag/personal item on an international trip and kept three color-coded pouches for cash--one for US cash, one for euros and euro change, and one for pounds and UK change.

Unless you are toting lots of fiddly little things, you probably don't need pouches. But if you do, they're a super convenience.
    WenV and terayon like this.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    I've been using Café Bags (S, M and L) for years and had no problems with things falling out of them. The reason I like to use organizer pouches is for just that--organization. It's easier to find little things when they're corralled into an organizer pouch. For example, I used a LCB bag recently as a day bag/personal item on an international trip and kept three color-coded pouches for cash--one for US cash, one for euros and euro change, and one for pounds and UK change.

Unless you are toting lots of fiddly little things, you probably don't need pouches. But if you do, they're a super convenience.
    I completely agree. I like to keep my charge cords separate from my lunch utensils, and my knitting notions separate from, well, everything, and that sort of thing. The pouches/3D cubes/stuffs sacks do a good job of that and keeping them clipped on the o-rings keeps them where I put them within the bag. They also let me find things by feel (I can distinguish between my clear OP vs my all-Dyneema OP or my hemp organizer wallet, for example). Wanting everything in its place is just how I roll; I hate digging for things.

However, my LCB is a deep bag and things do not just fall out, even if I lay my bag down on its back. Things might fall out if I had the bag really stuffed and pulled something out, or if it got tipped upside down, but neither of these scenarios is a frequent occurrence for me. I like the open top, actually, as it makes getting my stuff easier. I guess I am putting more value on convenience than security here; I'm sure lots of people would feel the other way around.

Well, I made a two week, three country business trip with my S25 and SCB as my carryon and personal item (I also used a roller board for the main bulk of my stuff). For all the important stuff (laptop, travel docs, money, etc) I wanted to keep the S25 and SCB with me at all times. I used the SCB to carry my headphones, passport, iPhone, and assorted tickets and other small stuff that I wanted handy while in my seat on the flight. It was pretty tight with everything, but in any case, nothing fell out!

And I've since used the SCB on a daily basis to carry my iPad mini, sunglasses, etc during my daily commute by train, and nothing fell out!

Also, I got rained on, and things didn't get particularly wet inside.

Suffice it to say, I was needlessly worried about the gap
    SusanM and jess like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0