Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: Which navy is darker? Navy parapack or navy ballistic?

Which navy is darker? Navy parapack or navy ballistic?

I just snagged a Western Flyer in Nordic/steel and now I have to have another Side Effect--even though I now have two others--one of the originals in black cordura and one in olive parapack/ultraviolet.

I'm surprised at how rich and lovely the Nordic is in person--not at all what I had imagined based on photos (I guessed it would be kind of a dupe for the late, lamented sapphire dyneema). So now I'm trying to work out which new Side Effect to get--navy ballistic or navy parapack to complement the new Western Flyer.

I know those aren't the only choices--I could go with a Nordic/solar one but that seems a little matchy-matchy to me.
    Then again there's aubergine ballistic (which I already have in my Imago) but I'm not as big a wasabi fan as I might be of some other combos.

So...can somebody advise me which of the navies would be best with the Nordic--which I think means which is the darker of the two?
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I don't have navy ballistic, but can report that the Navy/Solar Parapack Side Effect goes wonderfully with my Nordic/Solar Synapse 25. Btw am totally jealous that you snagged a Nordic WF
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I can't remember which thread, but someone posted a picture of all the blues together. I think the difference will be what you want the fabric to feel like and which zipper you prefer. According to the crew, the parapack has a similar consistency to dyneema and is shipping with the black (old style) zipper. The ballistic would have more shape and is shipping with the silver (new style) zipper.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    I just snagged a Western Flyer in Nordic/steel and now I have to have another Side Effect--even though I now have two others--one of the originals in black cordura and one in olive parapack/ultraviolet.

I'm surprised at how rich and lovely the Nordic is in person--not at all what I had imagined based on photos (I guessed it would be kind of a dupe for the late, lamented sapphire dyneema). So now I'm trying to work out which new Side Effect to get--navy ballistic or navy parapack to complement the new Western Flyer.

I know those aren't the only choices--I could go with a Nordic/solar one but that seems a little matchy-matchy to me.
    Then again there's aubergine ballistic (which I already have in my Imago) but I'm not as big a wasabi fan as I might be of some other combos.

So...can somebody advise me which of the navies would be best with the Nordic--which I think means which is the darker of the two?
    @flitcraft Take a look at the pictures and discussion at the end of the Photo Request: Navy ballistic next to Nordic Dyneema thread. It's really not easy to compare these different shades of blue in a picture, because the reflective sheen of light falling on the fibers affects the photo colors (and is one of the reasons why the pictures of the 400d Nordic Dyneema didn't convey the same experience as seeing it in person.). However, the 420d HT Nylon Parapack Navy is slightly darker than the Navy Ballistic Nylon. (This is based on visual inspection of all three fabrics in person, and not on the photos that were displayed in the thread. I have the Western Flyer, Cadet, and Side Effect (plus some pouches) in Navy Ballistic Nylon, and the 3D Organizer Cube and Lead's Pocket (as a separate accessory from the Guide's Pack) in 420d HT Nylon Parapack Navy.)

I'd say that you could choose either Navy Side Effect (Parapack or Ballistic Nylon), and it would look good. You could also decide based on the kind of zipper pulls you'd like (the Parapack is still using the old, black cord pulls; the Ballistic Nylon SEs are now made with the gun metal gray zippers.). But the Parapack navy is slightly darker in the sense of having slightly grayer tones.

By the way, the older Sapphire Dyneema is a brighter, slighter more Royal Blue, while the Nordic has more of a midnight blue cast. (You can always compare your Nordic against the color of the Sapphire Dyneema Shop Bag in Maverick's video demo of how to fold the Shop Bag.) Nordic Dyneema goes much better with colors that have grayer tones like Steel or Aubergine than Sapphire Dyneema. Sapphire might work better with brighter shades, like plum. YMMV.

HTH. Congrats on the Nordic/Steel Western Flyer, and let us know what you decide.

P.S. I gave a link in one of my posts in the photo request thread to an earlier thread about 420d HT Nylon Parapack. If you follow that link, gochicken included a picture of the back side of a Navy Ballistic Nylon Size #1 Knitting Tool Pouch lying on top of a Navy 420d HT Nylon Parapack 3D Organizer Cube. That's probably your best visual comparison of the two fabrics.
    Last edited by moriond; 02-22-2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Added Postscript

I would say that my navy Parapack Synapse appears darker than my navy ballistic Aeronaut, but I think either would play nicely wih Nordic.

Here's a picture. It's still really hard to tell which is darkest. Parapack seems to absorb more light than ballistic, so it looks darker. I prefer ballistic. Nordic surprised me with how dark it is, too.
    Name:  IMG_2079.jpeg
Views: 381
Size:  488.0 KB

Volunteer Moderator
    This was readmore's post from the Photo Request: Navy ballistic next to Nordic Dyneema thread that I linked:
    Quote Originally Posted by readmore View Post
    Plus parapack!

1. upper left: parapack navy (small cafe bag)
    2. right: Nordic dyneema (shop bag)
    3. lower left: ballistic navy (Aeronaut)

It is HARD to get these colors to show up right. Sorry I don't have any navy Cordura!

]
    And this was gochicken's post of a Navy Ballistic Size 1 Knitting Tool Pouch on top of the 3D Organizer Cube in Navy Parapack from the 420d HT Nylon Classic Parapack thread referenced in my post:

There is also more discussion in these threads, which is another reason why I gave the links in my earlier post.

moriond

Thanks everyone for such quick and explicit assistance! It sounds like there isn't a huge difference, but that the parapack might be a bit darker. So, parapack it is!
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0