Red face Any Changes coming for the Brain Bag?

Hi:

I like everybody here have a serious addiction to Tom Bihn bags. Love them. I have 3 currently. Qty (1) Syanpse 19 in Olive/Steel , Qty (1) Synapse 25 in Steel Dynema, Qty (1) Ego in Black / Cayenne. I would like to get a Brain bag. However Most of the colors are not what I like, and not too many variations.

Any chance the Brain Bag will have any changes in design or colors in the near future. Would love to have an Brain Bag in Black with a bright color on the inside, like cayenne, iberian, or maybe solar.

Again Tom Bihn, keep up the good work.

Thanks for listening.

Brian
    Last edited by brianw1234; 02-21-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Hey Brian,

The biggest recent change to the BB is that it now comes in 420d Parapack nylon instead of 1000d Cordura. Because Parapack is so new, there are only limited colors available; thus, I can't speak to the exterior fabrics, although I do believe that Black is readily available.

I have to say I'm not sure that the BB has ever been offered with a Dyneema lining, ruling out Iberian and Solar. Sadly, Cayenne Cordura has been retired. If I'm not mistaken, BBs of yore had 500d Cordura linings that matched the exterior, perhaps with some Steel for contrast? I speculate that a brightly-colored interior for the BB may not be on the horizon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because there are two compartments to the Brain Bag, it's literally like two bags stacked together. That's why parapack is used even in the interior- not the regular Dyneema. The "interior parapack" literally acts as the 'external wall' for the first 'bag'! I guess the 400d Dyneema could be used, but for some reason isn't- maybe because it's not as rigid, which is needed in the interior of a bag like this.

So I'm guessing adding more colours is not happening so soon...

Many thanks to the folks who gave an input. I really want a little larger backpack. I want a Tom Bihn, but the colors are just not bowling me over, the all black one is ok. Not sure if maybe going with a smart alec might be a choice. I have a synapse 25 and the size difference at least in the volume are around the same.

We will see.

Just to note that I have both the Smart Alec and the Brain Bag, and I would call them very different bags. Everything about the Brain Bag is bigger (the shoulder straps, the waist strap, the zippers, the external pockets). It definitely feels "beefier". I call it my "show me what you've got" bag, which I use for travel.

That said, I prefer the Smart Alec as my "laptop EDC" in my home city. It is perfectly sized (I'm 6'1" 190lbs), I love the dyneema interior, I only need the one compartment, and size-wise it is always within my needs.

You can't go wrong with both, as they address slightly different needs, but if only getting one, ask yourself how big is enough. If the Synapse 25 is enough, then the Smart Alec could be the better fit.

Thought the Smart Alec and Synapse 25 are close size wise, you can add Modular pockets to the Smart Alec that increase the volume by up to 360 Cu. In. Together with the original 1600 Cu. In. it brings the total volume to almost Tri-Star country - 1965 Cu. In. for the Smart Alec vs 2000 Cu. In. for the Tri-Star. It is also just 200 Cu. In. shy of the Brain Bag.

The Smart Alec should give you the extra room you need with the modular pockets but with the color options you want that the Brain Bag does not have. You even get a bonus because you can probably use the modular pockets inside your Synapse 25 like packing cubes.

I probably use my Smart Alec similar to jwiegley and I agree with him that it is a great Laptop EDC (great review in another post jwiegley) for the city with its padded base and the ability to use a Brain Cell for maximum protection. I do not have the modular pockets but may get them in the future as they are good to use in any bag (I believe that jwiegley posted on another thread that they fit in the Brain Bag very well too!!)

Hope this helps (or confuses things even more in a good way!)

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-10-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    Smart Alec (Black/Steel), Zephyr (Black/Steel), Brain Bag (Back/Steel), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Aeronaut (Black/Iberian) + PCBP (Iberian), Tristar (Black/Iberian) + PCBP (Wasabi), Checkpoint Flyer (Black/Indigo/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells (Black, 1, 2S, 4Z, 3S), Horizontal & Vertical Freudian Slips, Camera I/O, Travel Tray (Wasabi), Leader's Pocket (Black)