Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Trailhiker
  • 2 Post By kkintea
  • 5 Post By Trailhiker
  • 2 Post By kkintea

Thread: 200 vs 400 fabric in Shop Bags - Can you tell the difference?

200 vs 400 fabric in Shop Bags - Can you tell the difference?

I have the shop bag in Black and Nordic. I think those are both the 400 weight fabric (?). I think the other colors are the 200 weight. For those who have both, can you tell a difference in terms of how small the bags fold to fit into a pocket or purse?

I think in another post someone mentioned that the heavier weight fabric stands up a bit better when empty. But right now I'm more interested in the squooshability factor. Auto-correct is telling me that "squooshability" is not a word. Shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    I have the shop bag in Black and Nordic. I think those are both the 400 weight fabric (?). I think the other colors are the 200 weight. For those who have both, can you tell a difference in terms of how small the bags fold to fit into a pocket or purse?

I think in another post someone mentioned that the heavier weight fabric stands up a bit better when empty. But right now I'm more interested in the squooshability factor. Auto-correct is telling me that "squooshability" is not a word. Shocking.
    Having both weights in the large and small shop bags I can safely tell u that the "squooshability" of the lighter fabric is more.
    There r times when I am packing either a pilot or a synapse that I reach for one of the lighter fabric bags when wanting to be slim and trim.
    K9TB likes this.

They both fold down into one of their pockets, but the 400d is 'thicker'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    K9TB and weirdguy like this.

I thought all shop bags were made from the 200 fabric? There is no mention of the 400 other than using it for the seams for reinforcement.

If Nordic and Black Dyneema are using the 400D is it the same as the exterior 400D used on other Nordic/Black Dyneema bags? I'm about to order a Nordic Dyneema shop bag so I'm curious on which fabric is really used. Thanks!
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Yes nordic is onky available in the heavier weight. Love mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    I thought all shop bags were made from the 200 fabric? There is no mention of the 400 other than using it for the seams for reinforcement.

If Nordic and Black Dyneema are using the 400D is it the same as the exterior 400D used on other Nordic/Black Dyneema bags? I'm about to order a Nordic Dyneema shop bag so I'm curious on which fabric is really used. Thanks!
    Within the Tom Bihn world (at the moment) the only other color that is available in 400 weight dyneema besides the black and the nordic is the steel (grey).

And steel dyneema (not to be confused with "steel ballistic") is the only color which is available in both weights.
    Since they have steel dyneema in both weights they use the lighter one in the shop bags.

Anything you see in the Tom Bihn universe made out of Nordic or Black dyneema will be of the 400 wieght.
    (Cause those colors r not available in the lighter weight from their supplier )

Hope this helps.

Postscript / dyneema trivia
    When u order a Side Effect the same correlation follows.
    A Side Effect in steel dyneema will b 200 weight, as well as solar and wasabi.
    A Side Effect in Nordic and Black will b 400 weight.

And when they come out with an Iberian dyneema Side Effect it will b in 200 weight. ;-))
    Darcy?
    Did u catch that?
    Iberian dyneema Side Effect
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 02-19-2014 at 08:42 AM.

I get loads of compliments on the Nordic shop bag. If you're only buying one, it'd be my pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk