Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By jwiegley
  • 1 Post By taminca
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: 1" Gatekeeper straps and Synapse 19

1" Gatekeeper straps and Synapse 19

Question: Do the 1" Gatekeeper straps for Smart Alec fit the waist strap loops for the Synapse 19?

I've considered ordering a Gatekeeper strap to replace the waist strap on my Synapse - I want shorter straps to attach a Synapse to my roller bag. I'm concerned that Strapeez or Web Dominator clips might make the waist strap too bulky for sliding quickly over a suitcase handle. Don't want to cut my waist strap.

Smart Alec Modular Pockets & Straps - Modular Pockets and GateKeeper Straps - TOM BIHN

Any idea how long a gate keeper strap is? I use Web Dominators on just about everything. They really aren't at all bulky, they are holding up well too. Haven't had one break yet.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I too use the Web dominators and they are a perfect, inexpensive addition.

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    Question: Do the 1" Gatekeeper straps for Smart Alec fit the waist strap loops for the Synapse 19?

I've considered ordering a Gatekeeper strap to replace the waist strap on my Synapse - I want shorter straps to attach a Synapse to my roller bag. I'm concerned that Strapeez or Web Dominator clips might make the waist strap too bulky for sliding quickly over a suitcase handle. Don't want to cut my waist strap.
    TavaPeak, I just tried the Gatekeeper straps on my S19 and they do fit in the waist strap loops.

The left strap (when held with the TB tag facing you) is short (about 5 inches) and unadjustable, but the right, adjustable strap is about 15 inches long. The distance between the waist strap loops on the S19 is about 11 inches, so you would still have some dangling on one end.

There is a YouTube video showing how to roll up dangling strap ends using Velcro. I followed the instructions and like the end result very much. The one change I made was to the final step, where I wrap the Velcro around the main strap so that the excess "bundle" is strapped in instead of remaining dangling. Maybe you can do that with your S19 waist strap and see if that works for you.

I think this was discussed awhile back in the Forums. I bookmarked the link to the video, and pasted it below:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zVmhG4L...%3DzVmhG4LX3Jg
    Last edited by taminca; 02-18-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post

Smart Alec Modular Pockets & Straps - Modular Pockets and GateKeeper Straps - TOM BIHN
    @TavaPeak The 1" Gatekeeper straps that are offered as an accessory purchase for the Smart Alec work perfectly well for this purpose. The spacing between the Gatekeeper clip loops on the Synapse 19 is about 10.5". The Gatekeeper (lash) straps can be set to a maximum separation of 16.5", and can be tightened down to as short a separation as 5.5" from where they hook into the waist strap loops. There's a picture of one of these straps attached to the Steel Co-Pilot resting on top of my Indigo Tri-Star in the Way to piggy-back Co-Pilot (or Pilot) on Tri-Star (or Aeronaut) thread. The text discussion below the picture specifically mentions that you could use this strap to secure bags to a rolling luggage bag or travel cart, although I didn't remember at the time I posted that this was one of the lash straps I purchased with my Smart Alec.

HTH. Just use the link I gave to the Smart Alec parts on the accessories page, since I'm sure those will work. You can also see the length of the strap (at close to its longest) in the picture in the linked thread.

moriond

Thanks for the input and detailed response, everyone! I remember seeing a recent post where someone had done a tidy job wrapping up extra strap on their TB items with Velcro. I have Web Dominators, so I'll try them first. But will probably add a Gatekeeper strap & Strapeez to my next order, just in case.

Wouldn't it be great to have loops near the top of the bag, so that Gatekeeper straps (or whatever) could be used to secure the upper part of the bag to a handle also. Sometimes a backpack has to pretend it's a Pilot.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0