Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Am I crazy? 5 weeks out of a tri-star?

Am I crazy? 5 weeks out of a tri-star?

Hi all
    I've just recently discovered tom bihn bags and so far I really love the look (and the reviews are great) of them. My next trip is 5 weeks in Canada from late march, I'm a pretty light packer, as it'll be a colder trip what I'll likely pack are a few icebreaker layering long sleeved t-shirts and a couple of pairs icebreaker leggings (icebreaker stuff scrunches up teeny-tiny), one or 2 t-shirts (to go over the icebreakers if needed), one pair of pants (quick drying hopefully), one dress (folds up tiny), one hoodie (or heavy alpaca cardi), beanie and scarf, 2 bras, 4 pairs undies (really quick drying, fold up small-love them!), 1 pair of shoes, 2 pairs socks, 1 pair of gloves and I'd wear one t-shirt, one pair of jeans, underwear and boots. Electronics either an ipad air or an macbook air 11in and iphone. Not sure if I'll take any toiletries as I can just pick some up when I arrive. One big problem I can foresee is the coat situation-I can get a down coat down fairly small, or I can try fold my wool coat down small enough, and I'm not sure if I need snowboots or not.....last time I took snow boots I regretted it (a feb trip to Russia and Finland) they were heavy and I didn't need them. So, am I nuts for thinking of getting a tri-star? Will all that fit in one? Or would an Aeronaut be a better choice? Should I cut down on what I'm packing?
    Any advice very welcome!
    Vanessa

Whereabouts in Canada are you going? Staying in one place or touring? And what are you going to be doing (mostly indoors, or lots of outdoors)?

I don't have a Tri-star, but the Aeronaut will swallow your list easily (though it depends somewhat on how small you can get he wool coat).

This seems pretty plausible in Tri-Star based on my experiences. Wearing the coat (or carrying it) gives you a lot of flexibility.

Thanks guys It'll be right across Canada by train, spending a few days here and there along the way, starting in Vancouver and finishing up in Halifax. There'll be some outdoor stuff, but they mostly seem to supply equipment. I just want to get the right bag (out of the tri-star or the Aeronaut) as I'm planning on getting some years out of it I hope! I like the design of the tri-star better so I'm leaning that way at the moment......
    Vanessa

In March/April, I'd skip the snow boots. In most places (other than up north) you're more likely to have to deal with rain or slush than snow. Maybe consider a water resistant jacket?

Sounds fun! Let me know if you're looking for things to do in Winnipeg if you're passing through!

I agree with terayon, skip the heavy snow boots, get some plastic boots, rain boots or galoshes. A couple of fleece jackets may suffice, as well as a wool coat with a hood or something similar. Wear good wool or wool-blend socks. Even if it snows that late in the year, it's likely it won't stick around too much. Also let me know if you stop by Toronto. I live in the city and I can show you around.
    LCB, S19, SE, Co-Pilot, wallet, pouches

Will you have access to laundry facilities? If so, once you've packed for a week you are packed for an extended period of time.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by peppin View Post
    Hi all
    I've just recently discovered tom bihn bags and so far I really love the look (and the reviews are great) of them. My next trip is 5 weeks in Canada from late march, I'm a pretty light packer, as it'll be a colder trip what I'll likely pack are a few icebreaker layering long sleeved t-shirts and a couple of pairs icebreaker leggings (icebreaker stuff scrunches up teeny-tiny), one or 2 t-shirts (to go over the icebreakers if needed), one pair of pants (quick drying hopefully), one dress (folds up tiny), one hoodie (or heavy alpaca cardi), beanie and scarf, 2 bras, 4 pairs undies (really quick drying, fold up small-love them!), 1 pair of shoes, 2 pairs socks, 1 pair of gloves and I'd wear one t-shirt, one pair of jeans, underwear and boots. Electronics either an ipad air or an macbook air 11in and iphone. Not sure if I'll take any toiletries as I can just pick some up when I arrive. One big problem I can foresee is the coat situation-I can get a down coat down fairly small, or I can try fold my wool coat down small enough, and I'm not sure if I need snowboots or not.....last time I took snow boots I regretted it (a feb trip to Russia and Finland) they were heavy and I didn't need them. So, am I nuts for thinking of getting a tri-star? Will all that fit in one? Or would an Aeronaut be a better choice? Should I cut down on what I'm packing?
    Any advice very welcome!
    Vanessa
    Hi Vanessa,

You're not crazy I did 3 weeks in Thailand with my trusty Tri-Star. It looks like you have a pretty light load, the Tri-Star should do the trick. I like it over the Aeronaut because you can pack it super light and it will still sit properly and not get distorted while you have it on your back. Make sure to really pack light it can get to be too much if you over pack depending on your body size and strength. I would definitely pick up some packing cubes and other TB accessories to stay organized. Good luck!!!

@ teryon yeah that's what I was thinking....I'm sure I can pick up some gumboots when I get there if I need them. I can likely find one of those super tiny fold up waterproof coats or pick one up so that should be okay And yes I will be stopping in Winnipeg for a few days! What kinds of things are happening there march/april?
    @ yohopee Definitely. Instead of the hoodie I might look for some of those super light weight/super warm fleeces. I love wool and try and get as many wool clothes as I can, they last for ages too And yes I will be in Toronto, not sure for how long, but I'm open to being shown around
    @ Moose I should be able to find laundry facilities, most of my layering tops can be washed in a sink and will dry overnight (icebreaker rocks like that!) which is handy
    Vanessa
    PS full disclosure I'm dragging my poor mother along (well she did want to come ), so I'm trying to talk her into buying a tri-star too LOL
    Moose and yohopee like this.

@ ykang2375 Awesome! I'm pretty strong so I think I'll be fine.....can't be worse than lugging a full size suitcase up 5 flights of stairs anyhow And I will be sure to pack light, I've discovered you just don't need as much 'stuff' as you think you do
    What kinds of packing cubes/accessories would you recommend?
    Vanessa

@ ykang2375 Awesome! I'm pretty strong so I think I'll be fine.....can't be worse than lugging a full size suitcase up 5 flights of stairs anyhow And I will be sure to pack light, I've discovered you just don't need as much 'stuff' as you think you do
    What kinds of packing cubes/accessories would you recommend?
    Vanessa
    Hey peppin, sorry for the late response. Definitely pack light and flat as possible, the Tri-Star has a tendency to bulge if you over pack it. I'm in good shape but you can really feel any extra ounces when you walking from terminal to terminal to catch a connecting flight.

I bought a lot of TB accessories with my Tri-Star, you should watch the TB video of the Tri-Star in action, I was all set on the Aeronaut before I saw it.

The Travel Tray is great for change, cards, etc., it's good for a hotel night stand. Grab one small packing cube and one medium packing cube for the front section of the TS. One large packing cube for the back section and the Packing cube backpack for the center section. The backpack was great for day trips and made it easier to get past airport screening. Just pulled out the bag with the liquids in it and placed it back in the TS after. The 3D clear organizer was great for toiletries and met TSA size regulations. I also grabbed a size 3 travel stuff sack. Two clear organizer pouches, pen/pencil and medium. Lastly I grabbed an extra key strap. Be careful, the cost really adds up with the accessories but it's worth it. Hope this helps!!

It does! Thanks
    Vanessa

It does! Thanks
    Vanessa
    No problem Vanessa, I'm sure you'll enjoy your TB Tri-Star as much as I do. :-)

A trip across Canada by train? Lucky you! I've wanted to do that for ages! A few years ago I took the Amtrak from Seattle to Philadelphia and really loved it. You meet so many interesting people on the train, the scenery is so much better than what you see on the interstate, and you can't beat the romance of train travel.

I've traveled out of the Tristar for six weeks at a time, and I agree that, as long as you're willing to sink wash, you can travel as light for a month as for a week. Your packing list looks great--let me suggest that you tuck in a pair of wool gloves, too. I've found that if I have a hat, a scarf, and gloves, you keep surprisingly warm. A fleece vest is another good layering piece for flexibility--if it gets unexpectedly cold, you're really prepared, and if it's chilly but not cold, it can stand in for the coat over your icebreaker layers.

Accessories take the Tristar to a whole nuther level. I can't recommend the Travel Tray enough--you'll find tons of uses for it after your travels, too. One of the hassles of travel is corralling all the little bits and pieces you have--chapstick, earbuds, hand sanitizer, earrings, watch, pens, contact lens case, dental floss, etc. etc. The Travel Tray keeps stuff in one easy to locate place while you're using it, and keeps stuff from hiding at the bottom of your bag when you're not. (I keep a Travel Tray in my bedroom, one in my home office, and one in my work office...and I've given a few away as gifts. Seriously, it's a genius item and you'll wonder how you lived without one once you get one.)

Packing cubes will help keep all your clothes organized and in one place. The more organized and efficient your initial packing is, the harder it can be to re-pack on the road without a full re-pack, which gets old in a hurry. Somehow, everything that fit so neatly when you start can fluff up into a mound of stuff that you swear is twice as much as you remember packing! The packing cube keeps everything in place, letting you take out a couple of items without everything else getting out of control.

Have fun on the road--this sounds like the ultimate mom-daughter adventure!
    Last edited by flitcraft; 02-20-2014 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Typos...typos...typos
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I have both the Aeronaute and the Tristar, I would suggest Dyneema because it is so lightweight and tough at the same time.

A wonder of Tom Bihn engineering!

I love both bags but in a different way, the Aeronaute is a great suitcase, the Tristar is a great compartimented bag.

I suggest 2 Packing Cube Backpacks in different colors, one for tops and one for bottoms evolving along the trip to one for never used outfits and one for in use outfits.

For example, a nicer looking base outfit for dinner can be used multiple time with a different scarf, necklace or tie.
    But a set of hiking gear or a cute number for dancing in the city might need washing right after use (both activities bring on sweating).

People on the forum sometimes ask, why the Packing Cube Backpacks?
    They can be bought in a variety of color, they are very lightweight and can be used at stopping points to haul shopping finds and basic things like a warmer or water proof layer than one might not need just coming off the main mean of transport (plane, boat, car and train).

I also suggest the Travel Stuff Sacks size 1 for holding hair accessories, hand laundry essentials, size 2 or electronic stuff like cables and power supplies and size 3 for foundation garments and as others have pointed out the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (perfect for sleeping outfit) and the Travel Tray.

In my experience, a Small Cafe Bag is the perfect travel and everyday purse, it is small enough to be unobtrusive, yet roomy enough to hold all the essentials at home and on the road.

I would also add a Small Shop Bag which can be folded to a small rectangle and holds as much as a traditional plastic grocery bag, except it is gorgeous and it rocks durability.
    (I forgot to bring one on my last trip and it was a mistake)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0