Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kkintea

Thread: Packing the new Pilot in a Brain Bag?

Question Packing the new Pilot in a Brain Bag?

Trying to find a one-bag solution to backpacking through Europe/Asia. I currently own an Aeronaut and a Synapse. Great bags by themselves but I found that they are unwieldy when carrying them together. Also, I was concerned that some overseas carriers have smaller carryon limitations. I was looking at the Brain Bag for extended backpacking travel. Inside I would carry a single large Aeronaut Packing Cube for clothing and the new Pilot with accessories. In this manner, I could easily pull out the Pilot as a daypack. I would probably carry an iPAD, water bottle, GPS, camera, guidebook, snacks, and some assorted sundries. For those of you with the Brain Bag and/or Pilot, would this setup work?

I have all of the bags....have you considered the packing cube backpack? It'd be the most cost-effective solution and would provide both the packing cube and an option for a daypack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should just add it's custom sized for the Aeronaut.

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I have all of the bags....have you considered the packing cube backpack? It'd be the most cost-effective solution and would provide both the packing cube and an option for a daypack.

I thought about that option, but I would like a little more organization, like my Synapse, than the PCBP affords by itself. Also, in your second post, were you meaning to say custom sized for the Brain Bag?

Let's see, since I have all the TB backpacks, (except for the SA)
    My choice of travel in your shoes would be the Guide's Pack,
    With its internal frame I find that it's more comfortable over time for the carry aspects.
    With its detachable side pockets, they could b removed and put into a shopping bag,
    If your flying on one of those annoying euro airlines with limited bag restrictions and then reattach after the flight.
    With the addition of the pockets u r up around the brain bag capacity with a more aerodynamic design.
    (If u did go this route I would definitely take some spare annex clips, just in case)

If u r out for the day, u could also dump all the stuff from the lid (which could hold 4 - 3d cubes, stuffed), detach the pockets, and presto u have a smaller capacity.

As to interior organization, one totem pole series could be,,,
    the Packing cube shoulder bag (stuffed) fits perfectly on the bottom of the the big compartment. The dyneema copilot would fit nicely on top of that.(laying down) And the side effect could attach to the two o rings on top of that. And there would still be room for a jacket and another Pcsb.

Sidebar,
    Regarding the Pilot, that could also go into the Guides Pack, but vertically.
    I would need to do a dry run and see what else could fit.
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 02-17-2014 at 09:43 AM.

I should just add it's custom sized for the Aeronaut.
    It's a packing cube/backpack sized to go in the Aeronaut: Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) - Travel Packing Cube converts to an ultralight backpack - TOM BIHN

I will try the Pilot in the Brain Bag at home tonight and post some pictures.

Volunteer Moderator
    @mwong to follow up on Trailhiker's suggestion about the Guide's Pack, you might take a look at some of the following threads that he has posted pictures to:

I don't have this bag (or the Brain Bag), but if you are going to do a serious amount of backpacking (particularly outside of the urban environment that the Synpase was more optimally designed for), I think this might be a good bag. The specific features that I think might make this better than the Brain Bag for your use are the modular, and more rectangular design (for packing), and the optimization for use with the new HT Parapack Nylon fabric properties (light weight). If I were doing serious backpacking on trails, this is the bag I would consider. The Brain Bag seems very good for a multi-purpose (but possibly more urban) environment. Particularly for travel in Asia, you might find (at least for air travel), more stringent weight/size requirements depending on the carrier you use.

HTH.

moriond

I will try the Pilot in the Brain Bag at home tonight and post some pictures.
    As promised: Pictured in the closed Pilot was a 13" MBA in a Cache (sticking up vertically in the first photo), a Side Effect in one front pocket, a 3D mesh cube in the other front pocket, an umbrella in the water bottle holder and a few misc items. The Pilot easily fits in horizontally with lots of room to spare on the top. I also have a full I-O in the other Brain Bag compartment, also with room for more stuff on top. I rolled down the middle liner so that you could see both things at once. Eyeballing it, the Pilot is just over half the height of the Brain Bag. You can't imagine how big this bag is until you actually try things like this... it continues to amaze!

I think your idea would definitely work if you wanted to make the investment in both bags.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 9.27.08 PM.png
Views: 174
Size:  553.6 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 9.27.24 PM.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  122.4 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 9.27.40 PM.png
Views: 176
Size:  676.3 KB
    tpnl likes this.

As promised: Pictured in the closed Pilot was a 13" MBA in a Cache (sticking up vertically in the first photo), a Side Effect in one front pocket, a 3D mesh cube in the other front pocket, an umbrella in the water bottle holder and a few misc items. The Pilot easily fits in horizontally with lots of room to spare on the top. I also have a full I-O in the other Brain Bag compartment, also with room for more stuff on top. I rolled down the middle liner so that you could see both things at once. Eyeballing it, the Pilot is just over half the height of the Brain Bag. You can't imagine how big this bag is until you actually try things like this... it continues to amaze!

I think your idea would definitely work if you wanted to make the investment in both bags.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 9.27.08 PM.png
Views: 174
Size:  553.6 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 9.27.24 PM.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  122.4 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 9.27.40 PM.png
Views: 176
Size:  676.3 KB
    That's great, thanks for the photos. Good to see that it can work if I go that route.

@trailhiker and moriond: Appreciate the advice on the Guides Pack, I will keep it in mind as an option.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0