Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By feijai
  • 1 Post By feijai
  • 1 Post By feijai

Thread: Run, don't walk, to buy a Condor T&T pouch for your Brain Bag

Run, don't walk, to buy a Condor T&T pouch for your Brain Bag

In another thread I mused about getting a Condor T&T Pouch for my Brain Bag, and whether it'd fit with the annex clips. I decided to buy one (in black of course), and WOW. All I can say is, go get one right now.

The Condor T&T pouch is an "admin" pouch for the prepper/pseudomilitary set and also EDC folks. It has a zillion pockets and straps inside for pencils and knives and flash drives and whatnot. Here's a video showing how the pouch works (the first thing I did was remove the map cover and the pouch strings). Downsides: the stitching is poor. The bag is fairly heavy (400 grams, almost a pound). The elastic inside, I am told, wears out fast. The zippers aren't YKK. But did I mention it's only $20? And a perfect fit.

Below I show a variety of ways to hang the pouch in your Brain Bag. In all these pictures the pouch is empty. So first let me show a picture from Sid O'Neill which has the pouch attached to his Smart Alec and stuffed to the gills. It's rather bigger looking in the Smart Alec than in the Brain Bag.

Continued...
    Last edited by feijai; 02-14-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    moriond likes this.

First off, the pouch has four rows of MOLLE webbing (which I'll refer to, top-to-bottom, as A, B, C, and D), and comes with four detachable MOLLE straps. It also has two D-rings up top. The far ends of the MOLLE webbing match up exactly with the inside of the Brain Bag via annex clips.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  101.7 KB

In this first picture, I used annex clips to attach the "B" row of webbing to the upper Brain Bag annex clip strip. This is the highest the pouch will go in the bag. My apologies for the out of focus picture.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  89.5 KB

This might be too high for you, with the opening of the pouch too close to the Brain Bag zipper cover. Here's what it looks like when you lower it a bit by attaching the "A" row instead:

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  119.7 KB

You can lower it further by attaching the "A" row to the lower Brain Bag annex clip strip.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  151.7 KB

Continued next post...
    Last edited by feijai; 02-14-2014 at 07:16 PM.
    Moose likes this.

Notice that in the last picture, the pouch is still suspended about six inches off the floor of the bag. With the pouch suspended at any of these heights, obviously the bag sags when you load the pouch up. If you'd like the pouch sitting on the floor of the bag, you have to use the MOLLE strips instead of the annex clips. Here I loop the MOLLE strips through the "A" row and possibly through the D-rings (see previous post for explanation of these letters) and also through the lower Brain Bag webbing row:

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  132.4 KB

In this configuration there's plenty of space for me to hang (on the rails loops) a little lightweight army pouch I picked up at a military supply store:

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  125.5 KB

In this configuration I can slide the Condor pouch up past the little army pouch to access stuff, then put it back on the floor again.

But wait, there's more. Below I have snapped the MOLLE straps together in groups of two to make them longer, looped them through the "B" webbing row, and then looped them them through both annex rows in the Brain Bag. It still sits nicely on the floor of the bag.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  99.9 KB

Why would you want to do this? For the trick of the day: this pouch can also do the Cache Rails TSA thing! Slides moderately well, obviously not as good as a cache, but hey. Though the picture isn't clear, it comes completely out.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  88.5 KB

You can even open it up flat while pulled out like this.

Finally if for some reason you wanted to hang the pouch by its D-loops on the cache rails loops, this is doable too. I think it's suboptimal but whatever. Here I'm using the 1.5" Gatekeeper Clips from the bag's belt:

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  129.4 KB

I note that the pouch's D-rings also more or less line up with the annex clip loops on Brain Bag, so you could theoretically suspend the bag that way, perhaps using hardware along these lines.

That concludes my sales pitch for the Condor T&T pouch. Hope it was helpful.

UPDATE So the fundamental issue here is that the sidewall inside the pack isn't stiff, so if the pouch is attached high, the sidewall sags when the bag is open and vertical (to get stuff out of the pouch for example). On the other hand, if the pouch is mounted low, the bag is so large that it's hard to get stuff out of the pouch if you have papers and whatnot in the same compartment. Pulling the pouch up on its rails is cute but doesn't really serve much purpose over just having the pouch loose in the compartment if it's gonna sit on the floor anyway.

So I think for me the only option is to put the pouch up high but brace it in some way with my vertical brain cell. I can do this in one of two ways: (1) attaching the brain cell to the internal wall between the compartments and attaching the pouch to the other side, or (2) attaching the brain cell to the back wall, and hanging the pouch off of the brain cell via the brain cell's shoulder strap hooks. I'm trying for #1 right now, which has the disadvantage the the brain cell no longer forms the back of the backpack, but I always carry a good stiff book there. Might change to #2 though.
    Last edited by feijai; 02-15-2014 at 08:23 AM.
    Moose likes this.

You might try a long key strap through both loops on the bag. You could attach the clips to the D rings. It might work a bit better for you. It works (with a short key strap) on my S25 and an organizer cube. Any photos of the inside of you organizer? I'm interested in how it opens and ease of access.
    Take care,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I don't think hanging by the cache rail loops makes sense in any situation for this pouch, since you can do better in that position by just using the annex clips.

See the video I linked to in order to see the inside of the organizer. I'm still organizing. :-)

Update.

So the basic issue with hanging a bag like the Condor is that if you attach it to the compartment dividing wall, even at very mild weight it causes the wall to sag when you open it. But I *want* the Condor up high so I can easily reach stuff in it.

My first attempt at dealing with this was to move my brain cell so it attached to the dividing wall rather than the back of the pack. Then I attached the Condor to the other side of the wall. That works fine but I like the brain cell on the back wall, else I get pokey things sticking me in the back here and there. So back it went.

Eventually, I have settled on the following solution: the Brain Cell is attached to the back of the bag. And the Condor is attached to... the Brian Cell! This is fine for me since I never want to take the Brain Cell out. The Condor is attached using annex clips to hook its webbing, row A, to the (15" Retina) Brain Cell handle. Additionally to keep it from flopping forward a bit (no big deal) I have also attached the handle to the Condor's D-ring webbing via some spare 1.5" gatekeeper clips I had.

Works perfectly. The Condor is high enough that I can put entire 8.5x11" papers underneath it, horizontally. This is how I've been using it for weeks now, and it's great.
    Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0