Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Advantages of a Snake Charmer?

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    Love your idea of using it for toiletries + socks + underwear, Moose! Wonder if the snake charmer fits in one of the Pilot's front pockets... it's quite close in dimensions to the small packing cube, but an inch wider... (Pilot small packing cube: 10.8" x 6.3" x 2.4" vs. Snake Charmer 10.5" x 5.5" x 3.5").
    The short answer is no.

I just tried fitting a snake charmer (only one side filled) into the pilot front pocket and it stuck out the top.
    Yes u could not fill it all the way and jam it in there, but packing eloquence would all be lost. :-/

Hmm, strange that the length is the issue even though the stated length (10.5") is less than the small Pilot packing cube (10.8"). Thanks for trying it out!

I was in an interesting situation of purchasing a Sapphire Snake Charmer for no good reason, about a year or so ago, just because I wanted to see what Sapphire cordura looked like in person, and I figured that I would find a use for a Snake Charmer *someday*. I finally found a use for it a few months ago. I need to go to a weekly writers' meeting that requires bringing my laptop, and I use the Snake Charmer to carry my MacBook AC Adapter/Charger on one side, and a long extension cord on the other side. Technically they can both fit into one side, but for now I keep them separate. I shove my laptop (in Cache) and Snake Charmer into the main body of my Synapse 19 and I'm ready to roll.

I also own the Clear Quarter Packing Cube, but I haven't tried using it to hold my adapter or cords yet. I suspect I would prefer my Snake Charmer particularly for the extension cord, because it's long and unwieldy and the Snake Charmer's long shape seems to accommodate it well.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    Hmm, strange that the length is the issue even though the stated length (10.5") is less than the small Pilot packing cube (10.8"). Thanks for trying it out!
    Long answer (part 2)

My nose to nose exterior measurement of the snake charmer when loaded = 10 3/4 ( to ends of mesh face)
    Small pilot packing cube = 10 ( to ends of dyneema face)
    Interior ht of small pocket = a comfortable 10 inches.
    Side effect ext length = about 9 3/8"

Fit of pilot small packing cube in front pocket = a tight fit, but not unpleasant, effort retrieving stuff from iPhone pockets, etc.
    Fit of snake charmer = doable, but I would label it unpleasant.
    Fit of Parapack side effect = very eloquent, ease of access to other interior pockets/ pen slips.

Keep in mind that the meshy part of the pilot packing cube has the ability to stretch out a tad more depending upon how u pack it.
    For trial sake I put a mountain hardware wind vest and slipped it into the pilot and it worked fine..
    Easier than just putting the vest in itself.

Sidebar/ the small pilot packing cubes work nicely for packing the guides pack as well.
    That vest for instance fits very nicely across the width of my guides pack within the cube,
    and I'll probably end up using them more for my guides pack.

Personally I'll be using the pilot more for accessories, camera, ipad, art sketchbooks carry than clothes.
    And perhaps that vest. :-)
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 02-13-2014 at 12:52 PM.

From one Wasabi lover to another, you only need one reason to get a Wasabi Snake Charmer and that is the to purchase one of everything that TB offers in Wasabi!
    taminca likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    An overnight or two is quite doable. I've packed mine for as many as five days, including my coffee kit, without any trouble.
    Moose
    Five? Wow! For me, that would require an Aeronaut!
    Moose likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by Hemel View Post
    From one Wasabi lover to another, you only need one reason to get a Wasabi Snake Charmer and that is the to purchase one of everything that TB offers in Wasabi!
    MY FAVORITE REPLY!!!
    -- David Whyte

Taminca, I can't post a link but I did a post, with photos, of what I packed in the thread titled "six days one Synapse" last July+/-.
    Moose
    taminca likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Taminca, I can't post a link but I did a post, with photos, of what I packed in the thread titled "six days one Synapse" last July+/-.
    Moose
    I found it, Moose. We both seem to like Aubergine and the Specter 2 Pack It cubes! And I now want to pull together a coffee kit,too

Edited to add: And I totally covet your Aubergine Side Effect with its all-black zipper sliders and pulls!
    Last edited by taminca; 02-14-2014 at 07:24 PM.
    Moose likes this.
    -- David Whyte

That coffee kit came from Etsy. I love it. They make great little gifts too.

@Moose, do you have a link to that etsy coffee kit?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachiyaku View Post
    @Moose, do you have a link to that etsy coffee kit?
    This isn't Moose, but I believe that if you go to the Etsy page of Flossie Blossoms you'll find different patterns for her Tea Condiment Wallet that was the item described in Moose's Six Days One Synapse thread. Moose can correct me if this is wrong.
    Last edited by moriond; 02-15-2014 at 09:43 AM.
    Moose and taminca like this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    This isn't Moose, but I believe that if you go to the Etsy page of Flossie Blossoms you'll find different patterns for her Tea Condiment Wallet that was the item described in Moose's Six Days One Synapse thread. Moose can correct me if this is wrong.
    moriond, as usual you nailed it. That's exactly where I found it. I love supporting U.S. cottage industries/home based businesses when I can. While TB is neither it's close enough for me.
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 02-15-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    taminca likes this.

That looks pretty handy, thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Moose likes this.

moriond, as usual you nailed it. That's exactly where I found it. I love supporting U.S. cottage industries/home based businesses when I can. While TB is neither it's close enough for me.
    Moose
    Moose and moriond, you both are such enablers! They had a coffee-themed one that I could not resist . Next trip, I will bring my own coffee kit inspired by Moose!
    moriond and Moose like this.
    -- David Whyte

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0