Thread: Scuba gear

Scuba gear

Has anyone used their TB bags for scuba gear?

I'm getting into the hobby, and as you might have guessed, there is a lot of gear. At a minimum, there's mask, snorkel, fins and scuba skin/wetsuit. I'll probably also want to get my own BC (buoyancy compensator) and regulators.

I could probably squeeze it all into an aeronaut, but I'm curious if anyone has done this. Maybe a brain bag would be better.

Mike

I did scuba dive when I was younger so I know a bit about the size and bulk of gear you mention. Would you also need to fit neoprene boots and some weights+belt?

Note that I have not tried to fit my scuba gear in any TB bag as I no longer scuba dive (besides, I do not have a BC or regulator to even try). However, I am pretty confident that the aeronaut (with inside divider snaps undone) would be your best bet to hold everything inside one bag, have the option to use as a backpack carry and meet carry-on requirements. Another alternative might be the large road duffel from Tom Bihn's other company - Skookum Dog - http://www.skookumdog.com/p/road-duffel-bags.html. It is a bit larger than the aeronaut and therefore technically exceeds the max carry on - not an issue if you are going to check your bag (probably ok to take as carry-on as the size is very close) and it has outside straps to hold even more. It does not have backpack straps though as far as I can see like the aeronaut.

The Guide's Pack may work but I think you would need to put the fins outside the bag on the straps (as opposed to the BC which you probably want to protect more). As for the Brain Bag, I think you would have a hard time fitting everything in depending on the size of your BC. Though it all may all fit inside (except fins), it would need more "fiddling" and arranging every time you put your gear in - whereas the aeronaut would be more a throw equipment in bag and not worry (something I would appreciate when I am tired after a dive). Also, with the Brain Bag , the fins probably would not fit and would need to be put outside (maybe using the side compression straps to hold them). Alternately, if you carried your BC on its own, I think everything else would fit in the Brain Bag with the fins perhaps sticking out just a bit. You might also look at a Smart Alec with its external bungee to hold your fins and everything else in the bag and carrying your BC separately.

Hope this helps

Cheer!
    Last edited by tpnl; 02-11-2014 at 09:52 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Thanks... I was looking at the Aeronaut dimensions and I think the fins would be tight fit there too. Fins are typically about 24" long, and can be much longer if I'm not careful what I choose. But they can also bend a bit, so maybe it wouldn't be a big deal.

I'd forgotten about the guide pack... strapping the fins to the outside might work OK.

I came across the "Dive Caddy" last night which seems like a really clever way to carry your dive gear. They clearly put a lot of thought into how the bag was going to be used. Reminded me of TB.

acv
    I would advise against using TB gear for a scuba bag. I've dove on a lot of wrecks in the north-east and spent quite a bit of time working on dive boats. I think you would be better served getting a nice big duffle bag and a large plastic bin. I'm very careful about my gear but scuba diving equipment tends to be rugged and can be wet with salt water together that combination can wreak havoc on gear bags.

Maybe check out the Tom Bihn dog site Skookum Dog. They have a duffle (I've dubbed the doggie-naut) that seems like it'd take some abuse.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think this is something where I just go for a cheap but rugged duffel and just replace it when it wears out. I was hoping I could get a TB bag that could do double duty with other activities, but I don't think that's going to work out very well in this case.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) ScottS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Has anyone used their TB bags for scuba gear?

I'm getting into the hobby, and as you might have guessed, there is a lot of gear. At a minimum, there's mask, snorkel, fins and scuba skin/wetsuit. I'll probably also want to get my own BC (buoyancy compensator) and regulators.

I could probably squeeze it all into an aeronaut, but I'm curious if anyone has done this. Maybe a brain bag would be better.
    The easy answer is that our bags would not be very well suited for scuba gear. The most common ways I've seen divers carry their gear are inside large Tupperware storage bins. They are very large, waterproof and protect the gear from getting scratched/dented.
    Scott Schweiger
    TOM BIHN Shipping Department
    Original Designs Made in USA Since 1972
    www.tombihn.com

U.S. 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: 206-652-4123
    4750A Ohio Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98134 USA
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0