Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By photocat
  • 1 Post By hamiltee
  • 7 Post By hiker

Thread: Solar and Wasabi Shop Bags - Dirt Magnets?

Solar and Wasabi Shop Bags - Dirt Magnets?

I was lucky enough to receive two Shop Bags for Christmas (large Nordic and small UV). I like them so much I'm thinking of getting two more: large black and small solar or wasabi. I really like the look of both the solar and wasabi, but I'm concerned with how well they'd repel the dirt and grim of grocery checkout, carts, and the car trunk or floor.

Can anyone with a solar or wasabi SB share your experiment with how well these colors repel or attract dirt and grim? Thanks!

I have every color of shop bag except for Iberian at the moment. I have never had an issue with getting the Solar or Wasabi dirty. The Wasabi sees more use because I prefer it over the Solar in terms of color, so it may not be a fair sample. I had too much 'stuff' for work today, so I grabbed the small Nordic for the extras. The Nordic and the Black Dyneema are 400d and just have a different feel to them. They tend to stand up more on their own compared to the 200d. I had all 6 bags (Nordic, Black, Steel, UV, Wasabi, Solar) in use over the holidays in various inclement weather and in and out of the car trunk with no problems. I've also had the Wasabi at the beach and the Nordic at the pool; again, no complaints! Be careful, because shop bags are very addictive :-)

I have a solar shop bag and I use it for just about everything. It looks great as they day I bought it. I think I have cleaned it once with a Clorox wipe. I think it repels dirt very nicely, although (disclaimer) I love my shop bags so much I am not rough with them like I should be.
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    The Nordic and the Black Dyneema are 400d and just have a different feel to them. They tend to stand up more on their own compared to the 200d.
    Hmmm....I have both Black and Steel Dyneema large shop bags in my car trunk, and have found myself grabbing the Black one much more often. Thought it was just because of the color, but your observation might have something to do with it also, kkintea.

Be careful, because shop bags are very addictive :-)
    So true! It has taken all my willpower to stop (so far) at 2...although I do have several others on my Wish List : )
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I though this would help me narrow my color selection. Oh well! At least I know, either one will be a good choice. Let the addiction begin...

We are nothing short of world-class enablers. Why get two when you could get three and save on shipping. Color choice problem SOLVED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 6 large solar shop bags that are solely used for the grocery store. I have had them for at least 2 years now and they get a work out every week. Grocery cart, trunk, on the floor...etc. I pretty sure I've never even wiped them down (!) and they look basically brand new.
    dorayme likes this.

We are nothing short of world-class enablers. Why get two when you could get three and save on shipping. Color choice problem SOLVED.
    I see how this is going to be. �� I've already got TB on the brain: looked at a coworker's shirt today and thought that pattern looks like Black Dyneema.
    Darcy likes this.

While travelling I have a dedicated small shop bag for my copilot to buffer it (from whatever) when putting it down on the floor.
    I take the strap off and set it on the bottom of the shop bag, with the copilot on top.
    Turned with the pockets out it becomes my thermos and water bottle holder for the flight.
    When I do need something from the copilot it's a lot easier to grab the shop bag handles when pushed under the seat than the copilot handle.

Just received mt Pilot yesterday,I'll be doing the same with that one, but I'll use the large shop bag instead.

For in flight essentials I use the snake charmer with a carabiner to hook it to the seat pocket.
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 02-11-2014 at 10:40 PM.

This is an old thread, I know, but since I'm a huge fan of Solar and I figure someone else might have the same question...

Here's a photo of my old Solar Shop Bag, which I have never cleaned in the five years I've owned it--with a brand new Solar Side Effect on top for comparison.

Name:  SolarShopBag.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  137.7 KB

You can see the black seam tape through the bag (same as with the Side Effect), in case that bothers you.

You can see that it has picked up a very little bit of dirt toward the bottom. Haven't tried to clean that, haven't felt a need to.

I don't think it picks up dirt much at all. This bag has been used as a beach bag and as an under seat carry-on, and is normally stored on the kitchen floor.