Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By moriond

Thread: Can I pack a Synapse 25 inside an Aeronaut?

Question Can I pack a Synapse 25 inside an Aeronaut?

Hey guys!

I've had the Synapse 25 for almost half a year now and taken it on quite a few trips. I absolutely love the thing to death

Anyway! After realizing how much space my laptop takes in my backpack, and also considering not checking luggage and instead having anything extra mailed by post (to avoid loss during multiple connections), I've decided that the Aeronaut might just save the day. However, the Synapse 25 looks a bit big to carry-on as a personal item, so my question is whether I can fit it inside the Aeronaut, and then pack that.

I've done some searching and found a thread where someone took a photo of a Synapse 19 just about fitting inside an Aeronaut, so I'm worried the 25 won't fit, or would require deforming the back foam panel somehow.

This'll be for a year-long trip to Thailand (where I will be teaching English) so there's no way I can pack all I need in just the Synapse 25. And I've got two connections with about 2 hours at each point, so I'm worried the luggage will be lost somewhere in Vietnam or Bangkok.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

edit: While I'm asking about the Aeronaut - I'm also wondering whether the Guide's pack is possible to carry on (in the overhead compartment), and whether there are plans for a hip belt addition?
    Last edited by SynapseFan; 02-09-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SynapseFan View Post
    Hey guys!

I've had the Synapse 25 for almost half a year now and taken it on quite a few trips. I absolutely love the thing to death

Anyway! After realizing how much space my laptop takes in my backpack, and also considering not checking luggage and instead having anything extra mailed by post (to avoid loss during multiple connections), I've decided that the Aeronaut might just save the day. However, the Synapse 25 looks a bit big to carry-on as a personal item, so my question is whether I can fit it inside the Aeronaut, and then pack that.

I've done some searching and found a thread where someone took a photo of a Synapse 19 just about fitting inside an Aeronaut, so I'm worried the 25 won't fit, or would require deforming the back foam panel somehow.

This'll be for a year-long trip to Thailand (where I will be teaching English) so there's no way I can pack all I need in just the Synapse 25. And I've got two connections with about 2 hours at each point, so I'm worried the luggage will be lost somewhere in Vietnam or Bangkok.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
    Yes, the Synapse 25 will fit into the Aeronaut, and you won't deform the padded back panel of the Synapse 25 in any way. You do need to unsnap one side of the divider to one end compartment to get it to fit, thereby losing space from that side's end pocket. (I'd unsnap the divider on the side for the end pocket with the diagonally zipper; when you carry the Aeronaut with the backpack straps, if you use the end pocket at the other end for shoes, etc., it will be weighted at the bottom of the bag. Chances are you'll use that slashed pocket for travel documents and the other item you might still fit into the shortened end pocket at that end is the slimmer 3-1-1 bag)

This should work whether your Synapse 25 was Cordura or 400d Dyneema, though you'll get a little weight savings and a little more compressibility if you have the 400d Dyneema. I've traveled with both the Synapse 19 and the Synapse 25 as my personal item, and the Synapse 19 is easier to stash under airline seats. However, the airlines you might be using (serving SouthEast Asia) may have more stringent size limits for personal carryon. Usually its the weight limits that are harder to meet for personal carry-on items, so you should check the rules that apply for the specific carrier you'll be using.

And, in case anyone is wondering, the Synapse 25 doesn't really fit in to the center compartment of the 19" x 13" x 8" / 480 x 330 x 205 mm Tri-Star (Synapse 25 is 20" x 13.4" x 9" / 508 x 340 x 230 mm) unless you are willing to curve the bottom end slightly and use an under packed Tri-Star. The Synapse 19 fits into the center compartment of the Tri-Star very well, though.

HTH.
    Moose and dimfeld like this.

Sweet! Thanks for the highly detailed response I've ordered an Aeronaut now so really looking forward to it. It looks like the weight limits for my airline are 7kg, so I may have to check a small duffel bag anyway, but if I do it won't have anything too valuable in it so that I won't be sad if it gets lost. If it weren't for my 3kg laptop + chargers I might have actually managed to get it into 7kg, but, alas. When this thing breaks I'm buying an ultrabook or a macbook air :P

Great info, moriond! Thanks!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0