Any possiblity more gray aeronauts are coming?

Looks like a waited too long to figure out these bags were the deal...I've wanted a gray/iberian Aeronaut ever since I saw a picture of one. Do colors cycle in and out because I don't see this combination listed in the options.

Another quick thing...what's the best way to see how many packing cubes and which ones would you need for a particular bag? I'm thinking of picking up a Tri-Star to hold me over and I can't tell if I would use (1)large and (2) mediums on one side or what. Maybe I can use (2) larges? How many mediums would fit? Those type of questions.

Thanks for any assistance. Looks like a great bunch of users here and I'll continue reading in the interim.

Don't know about the Aeronaut, but the packing cubes question is pretty straight forward. They are specifically designed to fit a particular section of a specific bag. Check out the Packing Cube page for bags and their matching cubes. Packing Cubes - Travel Packing Cubes organize your travel bag and keep clothes neat - TOM BIHN

For the TriStar, the large TS packing cube is specifically designed for the large back section, the medium one for the front medium slot, and the small for the small front slot. Alternatively, you could use 2 larges (with the zipper dividing the front section unzipped) or use 2 sets of a medium and small cube each. If not storing a computer in the middle section, you could probably put another large paccking cube in there or an Eagle Creek Pack-it Folder 18. Ultimately, it's up to how you'd want to pack your stuff.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  637.3 KB

Thanks a lot, I'm not sure why I didn't think of it like that. Totally makes sense now. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures; the visual pulled it all together for me.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by newuser View Post
    Looks like a waited too long to figure out these bags were the deal...I've wanted a gray/iberian Aeronaut ever since I saw a picture of one. Do colors cycle in and out because I don't see this combination listed in the options.

Another quick thing...what's the best way to see how many packing cubes and which ones would you need for a particular bag? I'm thinking of picking up a Tri-Star to hold me over and I can't tell if I would use (1)large and (2) mediums on one side or what. Maybe I can use (2) larges? How many mediums would fit? Those type of questions.

Thanks for any assistance. Looks like a great bunch of users here and I'll continue reading in the interim.
    Welcome to the forums,

One quick way to get an impression of what accessories you might use with the Aeronaut or the Tri-Star is to take a look at some of the videos that were made that demonstrate the use of these bags. I'm giving you links to the blog posts on Stephen's bags/accessories from the Tri-Star video and Chris and Daniel’s Bags from the Two Weeks in Japan Videos. These videos (and there are others), come with a listing of the various items that are used in the videos, tagged by time of appearance. The Chris and Daniel (Aeronaut) video shows two very different styles of packing/usage.

A lot of the choices are very personal. For example, as @hamiltee mentioned, you could choose to use an 18" Eagle Creek folder in the back compartment, or a large Tri-Star Packing Cube (or both), or a Packing Cube BackPack sized for the Tri-Star/Western Flyer that will double as a large packing cube and a light-weight backpack at your destination. There's also a different model Packing cube BackPack for the Aeronaut, that is sized more like the Aeronaut's large packing cube (more square design).

There are also generic accessories, like the Travel Stuff Sacks, that can be used with many bags (the pictures show some of the differently sized stuff sacks inside the Aeronaut pockets to give you an idea of how these fit in). Many of us carry 3D Clear Organizer Cubes as accessories, for anything from toiletries (as a 3-1-1 bag), to cables (there are also mesh and fabric varieties of this cube).

The recommended items may change according to the bag(s) you get, and what you want to carry. For example, in an Aeronaut, electronics components like separate hard drives might easily go into a Clear Quarter packing cube, which would let you fit a couple of laptop hard drives in each side, and nicely fit into an Aeronaut end pocket. Knitters might like to use the same accessory for knitting projects that they carry in the Swift (tote-style bag). But this size isn't as convenient for many of the backpacks.

I think you get the picture. Also, some size packing cubes work easily in other bags (e.g. the Medium Tri-Star Packing Cubes fits nicely into my Synapse 19 backpack.)

As for color combinations, they continuously change. The general recommendation is that if you see a combination you really like, you should grab it while it's available.

HTH to get started. Once you have an initial idea of how you want to use these bags, post your questions and we'll make recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by newuser View Post
    Thanks a lot, I'm not sure why I didn't think of it like that. Totally makes sense now.
    Well, it is Friday... I'm a bit more literal in fitting the packing cubes to my bag and haven't selected any that can pull double duty as a day bag at your destination. moriond has outline many options. In addition to all the info and pics in the forum, I also like to use google images to see the various bags and uses out there. Happy hunting!

Great username!

All of @moriond's posts are wonderful. Her TB knowledge is encyclopedic, so I'll just expand a little on your question about colors.

Yes indeed, if you see a color you like, order it now. I also recommend calling or emailing customer service. They have helped me decide whether a purchase could be delayed ("We have a ton of those in stock") or not ("Uh...there are a few left, I think, let me check"). They can also sometimes give you a hint about what they have scheduled, but I've really only gotten hints this way ("That's a combo we are likely to repeat" or "We probably won't make more of those any time soon"), nothing specific or definite no matter how many pretty-pleases I use.

If you are the type of person who likes all his bags to match, then I suggest taking a look at what's available now in all the bags you are interested in. Maybe one of those combos will suit you. If not, you might need to wait a long time to build up your matched collection. I'm currently in love with Navy/Ultraviolet but Beau told me today that a matching Aeronaut wouldn't be made soon. Steel/Iberian is a striking match and I hope that if this is what you really want, you have better luck than I'm having!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

On seeing a color you like: In my experience it's not always hard and fast. When I got my Aeronaut I wanted it in Navy/Iberian. Katie searched high and low and there were none available and she told me (and I emailed inquiring again) that there were probably no plans to make anymore. Disappointed I got it in Navy/Solar, which I like, but definitely wanted the Navy/I combo more. Lo and behold a short while later Navy/Iberian appears back in stock and I think it's still, to this day, available.

That's just my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jmachats View Post
    On seeing a color you like: In my experience it's not always hard and fast. When I got my Aeronaut I wanted it in Navy/Iberian. Katie searched high and low and there were none available and she told me (and I emailed inquiring again) that there were probably no plans to make anymore. Disappointed I got it in Navy/Solar, which I like, but definitely wanted the Navy/I combo more. Lo and behold a short while later Navy/Iberian appears back in stock and I think it's still, to this day, available.

That's just my experience.
    Wow. Thanks a ton for the answers! Looks like I'll go ahead and pick up the Tristar while I'm waiting for the Aeronaut to come back into stock. If I don't see a gray/Iberian, I'll be just as happy with a gray/steel. You guys rock for helping newbies out!

All the best

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0