Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Ristretto 11 vs 13

Hi,
    I have browsed around this forum for a few hours and have not been able to find answer for exactly what my setup will be. Before I ask my question, I must complement the users of this forum for their in depth knowledge of Tom Bihn products.

I am torn between the Ristretto 11 and the Ristretto 13 because I want to make sure the bag I get will hold my current setup. I carry both an iPad 2 and a Lenovo 11 inch netbook. I can't make up my mind on which bag will hold these devices best. I'd also like to make sure there is room for my laptop charger at the bottom of the laptop/iPad storage area. I want to put the charger in bottom of that pocket to not take away storage from the front pouch.

What do you guys think will work best? Am I better off with the 13 so that I always have plenty of room for my gear or do you think the 11 will fit everything just fine? Keep in mind I'd be okay with a little extra room for stuff I may add or pick up while traveling. However, I do enjoy a nice streamlined pack fitting everything perfectly. (Thus where my indecision comes in).

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

One thing I'd like to add is that I will only have the 11 inch netbook with me about 25% of the time. I will carry the iPad 2 all the time.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi Casconi!

Welcome to the forum!

IF the Lenovo 11" netbook of which you speak is this Ideapad, with dimensions of 11.7 x 8.0 x 0.61", it should fit in the padded compartment of the Ristretto for 11" Macbook Air, which has dimensions: 11.8" x 8.2" x .9". I think this will hold your Ideapad, along with your iPad 2 in a Cache and power adapter.

The Ristretto for 13" Macbook Air would also certainly work for you, but your Ideapad will float more in there - whereas you'll get a better fit in the Ristretto for 11" Macbook Air.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by casconi View Post
    Hi,
    I have browsed around this forum for a few hours and have not been able to find answer for exactly what my setup will be. Before I ask my question, I must complement the users of this forum for their in depth knowledge of Tom Bihn products.

I am torn between the Ristretto 11 and the Ristretto 13 because I want to make sure the bag I get will hold my current setup. I carry both an iPad 2 and a Lenovo 11 inch netbook. I can't make up my mind on which bag will hold these devices best. I'd also like to make sure there is room for my laptop charger at the bottom of the laptop/iPad storage area. I want to put the charger in bottom of that pocket to not take away storage from the front pouch.

What do you guys think will work best? Am I better off with the 13 so that I always have plenty of room for my gear or do you think the 11 will fit everything just fine? Keep in mind I'd be okay with a little extra room for stuff I may add or pick up while traveling. However, I do enjoy a nice streamlined pack fitting everything perfectly. (Thus where my indecision comes in).

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.
    I hope someone else who has one of the current generation (Ballistic Nylon) Ristrettos will comment, but I think the 13" Ristretto would be too long for carrying your 11" netbook. I only have Ristrettos from the earlier generation (Cordura) models, and in the 13" and iPad versions, but my guess is that you'd do better with the 11" size. I believe others carry both laptop (e.g., 11" MacBook Air) or tablet, and iPad in that bag. There was a substantial redesign with the Ballistic nylon versions in terms of the front compartment, so you really need someone who has the current model, in the bg size you're considering, and with similarly sized tablet to reply.

HTH

moriond

Thanks Maverick.

I have a Lenovo x120e and I believe the dimensions are 11.1" x 8.3" x 0.6-1.2.

I thinking I'm leaning towards the 11 now. If it doesn't work I'm hoping I can do an exchange for the 13.

I'm mostly concerned about the charger at bottom of the main laptop compartment.

I think the R11 would work well for what you're describing, casconi. My household has an R11 and it easily fits our Dell 10" netbook, kindle fire (naked and/or in its own Tom Bihn cache), and chargers in the main compartment with room to spare.

HTH!

Thanks everyone for your help. I think based on your feedback, I am going to purchase the R11!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I too have only the older style of Ristrettos in Cordura. I have the iPad and 13", but, though I have a MBP 13", I rarely carry it in the Ristretto as I don't really need to and it's a bit heavy to lug everywhere. On the other hand, I do use my 13" Ristretto a lot. I carry an iPad (it's been home to a 1, 2, 3, and now an Air) plus a few other bits, often including a chunky notebook and some A4 papers. It's very flexible!

On the other hand, my iPad size, though not quite as old, is my first TB bag to wear out :-( The binding at the top of the divider between the main and the front pocket are falling apart.... so guess which gets used most?! It's much more of an EDC than the larger one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0