Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: Aeronaut side zipper pocket -- which accessories?

Aeronaut side zipper pocket -- which accessories?

So the side zipper pocket on the Aeronaut is so deep that it's annoying digging stuff out of it sometimes. Even my passport will slide wayyyy down to the bottom and I have to stick half my arm in to fish it out.

Which accessories do you guys recommend to clip onto that hook inside of the zippered side pocket to keep things in order?

I would plan to have my passport, and maybe passports for the entire family on occasion, and like flight itinerary and stuff in there. I see that there are many options for accessories that could possibly work -- so many that I need a recommendation!

Thanks for any tips!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    So the side zipper pocket on the Aeronaut is so deep that it's annoying digging stuff out of it sometimes. Even my passport will slide wayyyy down to the bottom and I have to stick half my arm in to fish it out.

Which accessories do you guys recommend to clip onto that hook inside of the zippered side pocket to keep things in order?

I would plan to have my passport, and maybe passports for the entire family on occasion, and like flight itinerary and stuff in there. I see that there are many options for accessories that could possibly work -- so many that I need a recommendation!

Thanks for any tips!
    You might take a look at Gingko's answer, which lists accessory items by compartment, in the Aeronaut - Have I missed anything? thread.

HTH.
    Ginkgo likes this.

Hi saikyo,

I still use the same accessories that I listed in the thread that moriond referenced. For your particular purposes, have you looked at the RFID Blocking Passport Pouch? You could clip that into the zippered side pocket with a Key Strap, or if you want to save from buying a Key Strap, you can use the neck-waist cord to clip into the o-ring.

Any organizer pouch that is medium or smaller will fit into that pocket. If you want a see-through pouch for itineraries, a medium clear organizer pouch would fit the bill, though you would have to fold your itinerary.

To make things easier to access, you could attach whatever length of Key Strap you want, so you'll have an easier time pulling out whatever pouch you need while still being connected.

Depending on how bulky things get packed, you might even be able to fit a 3D Clear Organizer Cube (also available in mesh and all fabric) into that zippered pocket. If the end pocket itself is too full, and/or if the 3D organizer cube is very full, it might be a tight squeeze. I can check at home later to see if it fits.

Thanks for the tips! I think I might go with a medium pouch. Maybe dyneema. Maybe ballistic. So many choices...

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    Thanks for the tips! I think I might go with a medium pouch. Maybe dyneema. Maybe ballistic. So many choices...
    For only a few items, the Ballistic nylon pouch might work better to keep items from being crumpled or folded. if you have many items in the pouch, Dyneema might work better to let you slide the pouch in and out, since the contents will provide reinforcement against folding/crumpling.

There are also some new accessory options in the form of the New! Knitting Tools Pouches. I've linked you to the thread, rather than the product page, because there are more comparison pictures with other pouches, including the RFID passport pouches, to give you an Ida of relative size. I like some of these for even non-knitting uses. Some people are using the size 4 pouch for receipts, though you might prefer the medium organizer pouch's shape. The end guards in Dyneema are unexpectedly useful for keeping small items, such as phone Sim card tools or cards, visible, yet securely held in place (otherwise I use the Ultrasuede dividers of the Clear Organizer Wallets for things like this). I also tend to carry a set of utensils like spoons, etc. when travelling, and had been using the clear Dyneema pen/pencil size pouches for this. The size 2 pouch works well for spoons and forks, with the added benefit that you could protect curved tines with the Dyneema ends. It's too short for chopsticks, but fits easily in other bags and pouches. (If the utensils are plastic and curved, remember that they could snap if packed really flat, depending on their design). The size 3 pouch is as long as the pen/pencil pouch. I probably wouldn't carry these all in the Aeronaut side zippered pocket, though. The really nice thing about these pouches is that they have large O-rings at the end, so tethering them to long key straps is easier than securing the standard pouches with snap hook ends to a long keystrap for pulling out of a deep pocket. And I use the Double Carabiner hooks to hold both O-Ring and Snaphook pouches, and also to hang my Side Effect from the seat pocket in front (see the picture in the Double Carabiner 4 thumbs up[ thread and the links there for details.

Okay still waffling.

We travel with six passports. So the passport pouch won't hold them all. The medium pouch would right?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0