Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Accessories which can use annex clips inside a Brain Bag

Accessories which can use annex clips inside a Brain Bag

I am aware of Brain Cells and Guides Pockets / Leads Pockets. Are there any other Tom Bihn accessories which can take advantage of the annex clips inside a Brain Bag? How about rail loops (besides Caches of course)?

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi feijai,

The Camera I-O also attaches via the annex clips, and fits inside the Brain Bag.

Right, the Camera I-O, I forgot to include that one.

I'm not sure what the width between the annex clip loops are exactly, but I suspect that the Condor T&T Pouch might be perfect. And wow, that's a lot of organization:

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by feijai View Post
    I'm not sure what the width between the annex clip loops are exactly, but I suspect that the Condor T&T Pouch might be perfect. And wow, that's a lot of organization:
    You wrote earlier (and then deleted)
    Still wondering about this. For example, I had wondered if you could attach gatekeeper rail clips to the loops on either side of a Side Effect and then attach it to the rail loops in a Brain Bag. Don't think so, though: the clips are probably a bit too short and the loops are about 6-7 inches apart (i think) while the side Effect is 8.6 inches wide. But that kind of thing...
    The issue with the annex clips and the gatekeeper rail attachments is that they are oriented 90 degrees apart. Some of these issues with attaching the Side Effect to the inside top part of the Synapse 25, which has the GateKeeper rails clips, we're discussed in the Utilizing Upper Part of the Synapse 25 Main Compartment thread. Most people were trying to place the Side Effect there, but one person linked to the usage of web dominator clips (inserted at 90 degrees into the rail clip ends) that allowed him to insert one of his Maxpedition bags, I don't have a Brain Bag, so I don't know whether it has any provision for the rail clips (maverick would know). The current generation Smart Alec's have both the rail clips and the webbing loops for the Annex clips, so maybe another forum member who has explored the options with that bag could tell you more about attachment options.
    Last edited by moriond; 02-06-2014 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    You wrote earlier (and then deleted)
    You're right, I did, because I realized it wouldn't work properly with the rail clips for exactly the reason you mentioned. But the web dominator clips are an interesting approach. The Breain bag does indeed have rail clip ends in addition to annex clip loops.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by feijai View Post
    You're right, I did, because I realized it wouldn't work properly with the rail clips for exactly the reason you mentioned. But the web dominator clips are an interesting approach. The Breain bag does indeed have rail clip ends in addition to annex clip loops.
    You can look through the Parts product page for more ideas. They seem to have just added a general guide in list format to the page. (Some of the listed products were recently added and have no picture counterparts. I've never seen any of their "Tactical Links", for example, but assume these are polycarbonate versions of Carabiner clips.

The other thing that looks interesting is the Tactical T-ring Adaptor that Maxpedition makes. Take a look at this video:

I think they are available in different colors (black as well as the Coyote shade shown in the video). You would be able to slip out an Annex Clip and convert the webbing loop that was holding the clip into something from which you could suspend a D-ring. That should open up a lot of other possibilities.

HTH.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 02-07-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Continuing this train of thought about extensions and pockets for the Brain Bag, I've also given consideration to the one other big spot where you can easily add an extension of some sort: the carabiner ring and bottle straps on the outside of the pack. So far the best candidate to put there has been the Maxpedition 10x4 Water Bottle Holder, which I think will fit perfectly. It's got a carabiner hook on the back, and its straps on the front should make it easy to secure to the bag's bottle straps. It's got two pockets, one of which can of course be used to, um, hold a bottle even if the bottle doesn't have a ring on top (for example: a coke bottle) Unfortunately, being from Maxpedition, it's absurdly overpriced. :-( Has anyone else thought of another bag which might fit there?

Finally, it's occurred to me that the Brain Bag is 4 inches short of the maximum allowed carry on size. It might have been interesting to consider an extension, like the Smart Alec's upper pocket, which added that 4 inches back.

More follow-up. I just received a Brain Bag and the annex loops are 10 inches apart. Meaning that it should fit the Condor T&T pouch exactly. We've ordered one and I'll let you know.

Continuing my thread on things to make the bottle straps more useful: my primary goal is to be able to put a standard coke bottle back there easily; and secondarily to put some kind of bag back there. The basic problem for coke bottles is that they are too short; they don't really make it past the upper strap, much less the carabiner. But a coke bottle carabiner hook should do the trick. Attach to the carabiner, stretch down and grab the bottle. Unfortunately you can't buy them in units of 1 except for ridiculous shipping costs. Only 5 pcs or (in color elsewhere) 4 pcs.

I tried the Maxpedition 4X10 no go, it's too large.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tizi View Post
    I tried the Maxpedition 4X10 no go, it's too large.
    Thanks Tizi. Today I figured it was too big too, since the bottle straps won't encompass more than a fairly small diameter. :-( Still might try the carabiner hooks though, if only i can find three other people who want one too.

Three more. It is *possible* that that one of the three following bags might fit: One.Two. Three.

These are 4 inches diameter (right at the maximum for the Brain Bag) but compressible and should fit nicely in the water bottle area. The idea would be to install them backwards to the MOLLE straps go around at least the bottom horizontal bottle strap on the Brain Bag, and the drawstring gets hooked on the carabiner. They might be a bit short though.

I should mention that I'm downright unimpressed with the location of the bottle straps on the Brain Bag: quite poorly thought out. The upper strap is way too high, and most standard water bottles are too low for it. There should have been a third middle-positioned strap and/or an option to bottom out the water bottle higher than the bottom strap.

feijai, Tizi

Would this work as something to "add a bag" between the 2 front pockets of the Brain Bag and make the bottle straps more useful?

Shop Hazard 4(R) Flip-Pouch(TM) Bottle/Magazine Pouch - Outdoor, Military, and Pro Gear - We Ship Internationally

There are other things on this site that should work too depending on what you want to put in there.

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I am not sure that will work very well. I had one of those pouches for another bag, it really needs to be attached via molle.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Also the FlipPouch is only 8.6", way too short.

The fundamental problem here is: the upper bottle strap for the Brain Bag is far too high. I think it's a clear design error. It should have been a good two inches lower than it is at least. As a result, you have two strategies: either don't bother with the upper strap at all, or your bag has to be at least 10" closed (the top of the strap is at 9.25"). And you'd really like to have your bag attach to the carabiner in the back, but not via the draw cord if you're going stuff-sack-ish (then you have to remove it from the carabiner to open it).

Furthermore, though this picture and this picture are very inspirational, at 5" diameter, the 14" Lighting/Tripod Quiver appears to be much too wide to attach to the back of the bag without squishing it up a *lot*. And I'd prefer not to have the plastic piping.

So here's what I've decided to do. Simply Light Designs makes inexpensive custom bags and I've talked to them about making the following bag: Gray ripstop nylon, 3 x 3 square bottom (the largest size the straps can hold), 13" high stuff sack, so it cinches down to about 11". Additionally, it'll have a webbing strap on the bottom of the bag that you can loop the Brain Bag's large lower support strap through -- if you want to attach the bag permanently -- and it'll also have a D-ring attached via webbing on the back at 10" to hang on the carabiner hook.

Wish Tom Bihn made a bag designed to attach to the back of the Brain Bag like that. Anyway, if/when it arrives I'll shoot some pictures of it.
    Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0