Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Side Effect + Water Bottle?

Side Effect + Water Bottle?

I've been using my SE to corral some things inside of my Synapse 25, and I'm beginning to realize I may be able to use it as a standalone purse for evenings/weekends, which would make switching to/from the Synapse so easy (of course, I'm also lusting after the black ballistic/iberian color combo to replace my steel dyneema/steel...). I don't carry all that much, so this would be fairly easy, but there's one major exception: my water bottle.

I'm a big water drinker and need to have a water bottle on me at all times. I'm actually about to buy a new water bottle, and I'm wondering if the right bottle could be rigged to attach to the SE in some way that wouldn't be a nuisance while walking (my main form of transportation). Or maybe someone knows a small bottle that could fit in the SE? One of those collapsible bladder-style ones perhaps? I'm looking for a 20 - 24 ounce-ish bottle, but wouldn't mind using a smaller (8 - 12 ounce?) bottle for when I'm out with the SE, since refilling is typically a possibility. Any thoughts?

You might look at the Platypus Platy bottle. I have an older one laying around somewhere, but never thought of combining it with the side effect (which I use as a standalone purse and switch in and out of all my TB bags). My issue would be that I always have a drink in the bottle when I go somewhere. This system would only work if you carry the bottle empty, and fill it as needed. I use the TB pattern water bottle. It takes a little bit of practice to master the lid, but otherwise it's been a great bottle for my needs.
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

I keep looking for a smallish Nalgene flask that could be used for water. Why o why do all water bottles have to be round, and huge? They don't fit in a smaller purse! Found a flask at REI - it looked like a mouthwash bottle, and I wondered if folks would assume I sipped vodka from it. :-)
    Nalgene Flask - 12 fl. oz. at REI.com

The flask is fine, if you need a low profile bottle, this is it.

I wouldn't care what people think, if it is perfect for you, use it.

I love the Vapur bottles, and I think oneI might fit. can probably check tomorrow. It would, however, take up a lot of the SE.

I was given one of these for a joke. But maybe I should use it (sans its Bible cover) in my SE! ;-)

Amazon.com: Holy Bible 4 oz Flask: Secret Compartment: Health & Personal Care

I tried a 24 oz Vapur bottle - it would not fit even empty (unless you rolled it up). It could be clipped to the strap, but I assume you are looking for something to put IN the Side Effect.

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions! It'd be great if there was something I could actually put in the SE (a flask seems like a promising option or maybe a smaller only half-full Vapur bottle?), but I'm also okay with something clipped to the strap (which I was originally thinking was the only real possibility), so long as it isn't swinging around and getting in the way while walking. Right now, I'm tempted by that Nalgene flask (though looks like it would take up the majority of the space in there), but maybe a .5 liter Vapur wouldn't be too irritating clipped to the strap and could be squeezed into the SE rolled up when empty.

If you really want to tuck a water bottle inside, another possibility might be the Packing Cube Shoulder bag...not as compact as the Side Effect, but definitely a great bag!
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

I have carried 4oz +/- wide mouth nalgene bottle in my SE pretty easily. You can pick them up just about anywhere. I got mine at REI if I recall correctly. It isn't a lot of water but some is often better than none.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    I keep looking for a smallish Nalgene flask that could be used for water. Why o why do all water bottles have to be round, and huge? They don't fit in a smaller purse! Found a flask at REI - it looked like a mouthwash bottle, and I wondered if folks would assume I sipped vodka from it. :-)
    Nalgene Flask - 12 fl. oz. at REI.com
    I have used this type of Nalgene flask as my water bottle for about 6 months now. It's perfect for travelling light. Gets my vote !

How about a 12 oz. Klean Kanteen with a loop cap attached to the strap with a carabiner? It may even fit inside with the all stainless cap.

Kid Kanteen: 12oz BPA-free Stainless Steel Water Bottle

Klean Kanteen Classic Caps: All Stainless Steel Loop Cap

http://www.kleankanteen.com/products...assic-loop.php
    Last edited by Snapshot; 01-31-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    the 9 oz. Lifefactory bottle really likes the Side Effect...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Snapshot and enjih like this.
    -m

(somewhat unrelated...) how the heck does one clean out the water containers that go flat and roll up when empty?

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    (somewhat unrelated...) how the heck does one clean out the water containers that go flat and roll up when empty?
    I use a SIGG bottle brush:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002I0...dir_mdp_mobile

It's going on 5 years old and is great for cleaning everything from life factory bottles, Vapur bottles and our thermoses. I throw it in the top rack of the dishwasher every couple months to sanitize it.

I know the Vapur bottles are dishwasher safe but I've never washed them in one before. I just give them a scrub and roll them back up leaving the top open.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast