Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tpnl

Thread: Which fabric is my bag made out of?

Which fabric is my bag made out of?

I ordered the Synapse 25 in October 2013. Was that in Codura or parapack? When was parapack used for these bags?
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray, 3D Organizer Cube

Visually, you might be able to tell.

If the bag material looks "rough" or matte (not shiny or reflective in the light) or looks similar in texture to a canvas or cotton bag (sometimes described as looking like a natural fabric), it is Cordura.
    If it is shiny / smooth to the touch, I would say it is probably Parapack.

Finally - rub your cat / dog / friend's furry pet / squirrel / cow on the bag. If the hair sticks like crazy, it is cordura !!!

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 01-28-2014 at 10:22 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Is there a tag in the bag somewhere that names the fabric used? my ballistic SE has such a tag.

Your emailed receipt from the company will say, either 420d (parapack), or cordura.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

smj
    Pretty sure the parapack didn't get released until after October, so it should be cordura.
    Black/Wasabi SCB + Navy/Solar Aeronaut + Black/Black/Steel Zephyr + Black/Wasabi Co-Pilot + Black/Wasabi Pilot + several accessories...

Volunteer Moderator
    To follow up on tpnl's suggestion, take a look at the pictures in gochicken's thread on 420d HT nylon Parapack Photos. You've posted previously that you also own the Co-Pilot (Ballistic Nylon) and Shop Bag (200d Dyneema). The Parapack has a tight weave, that you can see compared with the 200d Dyneema in the first set of photos. Scroll down and examine the pictures of the Parapack 3D Organizer cube. That's roughly the appearance of the Parapack surface. The comparison of that cube with organizer pouches in Ballistic Nylon (the Kiwi pouch in the background, and the Navy Ballistic nylon pouch poised on top of the Navy 3D Organizer Cube in Parapack), shows the larger weave of the Ballistic Nylon that is also used in your Co-Pilot, as compared to Parapack. Cordura has a larger weave, not quite as large as the Ballistic Nylon, but much larger than the weave of the 200d Dyneema and HT Parapack Nylon. It also feels more like a fabric and is more flexible to the touch. The Parapack is also (currently) only available in Black, Steel, Olive, and Navy, so there are Cordura colors that do not have Parapack counterparts, but since all your bags are Black, that won't help you.

HTH.

moriond

Thank you everyone. I have a feeling based on what I've read that my Synapse is Cordura. It is definitely not shiny. The parapack reminds me of ballistic nylon (which I love).
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray, 3D Organizer Cube

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0