Cache for a 13" Unibody MacBook Pro?

Hi all!
    I just switched out for a smaller laptop and am now using a 13" Unibody MacBook Pro. My EDC bag is a Synapse 25 (my favorite backpack ever), in which I currently carry a 4Z Cache. The 4Z is too large for my new companion so I went to look for the right size on the site. The laptop bag fit guide says I should be getting a 6Z (which of course is now out of stock, great timing on my part), but it looks like it's not nearly as custom a fit as the one listed for the new 13" MacBook Pro Retina. I'm hoping the collective forum knowledge can tell me if there a version of the Cache in previous years that was exactly sized for the 13" Unibody. If so, anyone know if there any way I can get one? I realize it's a bit compulsive, but I'd really like to have a cache sleeve that fits snugly. Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by evernal View Post
    Hi all!
    I just switched out for a smaller laptop and am now using a 13" Unibody MacBook Pro. My EDC bag is a Synapse 25 (my favorite backpack ever), in which I currently carry a 4Z Cache. The 4Z is too large for my new companion so I went to look for the right size on the site. The laptop bag fit guide says I should be getting a 6Z (which of course is now out of stock, great timing on my part), but it looks like it's not nearly as custom a fit as the one listed for the new 13" MacBook Pro Retina. I'm hoping the collective forum knowledge can tell me if there a version of the Cache in previous years that was exactly sized for the 13" Unibody. If so, anyone know if there any way I can get one? I realize it's a bit compulsive, but I'd really like to have a cache sleeve that fits snugly. Thanks!
    The 6Z is the correct size Cache for the 13" MacBook Pro. In the 13" size, I haven't heard this referred to as "Unibody" since the 2008 model introduction. Afterwards, it just became "MacBook Pro", with the understanding that these are the Aluminum models. Dimensions have been standard at 12.78" x 8.94" x 0.95" / 325 x 227 x 24.1 mm. What year is your MacBook Pro that you think the specs would be much different? The (vertical) size 6Z caches is listed on back order till late January, which can't be much longer.

My only comments on the previous 6Z caches, which I've had in both vertical and horizontal orientation, is that I prefer the denser foam that they used to use a few years ago (up through about when the Cadet was regularly available in both the 15/13 and 11/ipad sizes, and until the time the caches for the ipad Mini were introduced). Probably the current caches with the lighter nylon textured stitching on the outside are easier to sew, especially for the mini sized caches. These older styles aren't available any more (even for the old style Cadets).

The current style caches are generally designed for a tighter fit than the older model caches. Maybe this is what you're thinking of? In any case, if you want the Cache with Rails feature for easily sliding out of Synapse 25, you'll need to get the current vertical Cache.

Thanks for the response! The comparison of the MBP dimensions to the 6Z interior dimensions versus the 13" MBP Retina laptop dimensions to the 13" MBP Retina Cache implies it will be a snugger fit. If the 6Z has always been the same size, then I might as well order and give it a try. I do want the rails as I really like that feature of the Synapse. I will be disappointed if the 6Z is significantly less protective than the 4Z I have, but there's only one way to find out I suppose. If my 4Z is already the new version, then I won't miss what I've never had .

My horizontal 6Z was delivered in August 2012, and is a great fit for the MBP. I use it for my 12.5" HP, and it fits nicely, but with my MBP, it fits perfectly.
    > SIQUID WESTERN FLYER NON CAPIT, DOMI RELINQUENDUM EST.

Western Flyer (ballistic backpack), MCB (parapack/dyneema), Pilot (ballistic), Cache (6Z), Travel Tray, Packing Cube (WF large), Pouches (clear, dyneema, cork, padded, large, small, medium, mini, nano), Pocket Pouch, Absolute Strap (curved), Tri-Power Whistle, a bunch of Key Straps (8" and 16")

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0