Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By luvdabags
  • 3 Post By Melissa
  • 2 Post By Darcy
  • 1 Post By yohopee

Thread: Cross body strap for Swift

Cross body strap for Swift

Wondering if there is a way to get a cross body strap attached on the Swift? It seems a big enough bag that it might be nice to have that option.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    Wondering if there is a way to get a cross body strap attached on the Swift? It seems a big enough bag that it might be nice to have that option.
    Not really a good solution for attaching a cross-body strap to the Swift. There are offset O-Rings just under the top lined edge, near where the left end of the bag handle attaches in front, and where the right end handle attaches in back. You can see them in the product page images, particularly in the views where the bag is shown in a side view or rotated side view. You can also see them in the embedded product video about the design of the Swift with inputs from Amy Singer of Knitty.com at about 1:35 where they say "They have these O-Rings everywhere that you can attach everything to" and then again around 1:43 where there's a close up of the back pocket and they say "If you like all your stuff loose at the bottom, you can do that. If you like your stuff I individual pouches you can do thatů". I think most people carry the Swift over the shoulder (as shown in the product page video starting at 1:59).

While you could hook an Absolute or other strap to the offset O-Rings to carry the Swift cross-body, that 's really not a good idea if you're carrying a lot. This bag can hold a _lot_ when it comes to weight. If I were regularly carrying a heavy load (for example, filled with books) with a strap attached, I'd seriously worry about the O-Rings getting pulled out from the seams. They're intended for attaching pouches or key straps. The pouches can be quite heavy if they sit in the bottom of the bag, or in a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. Have you actually tried a Swift?

If you wanted to use a strap for cross-body carry of a messenger style bag, instead of a tote you might consider getting the Large Cafe Bag. The Quick-Adjust Messenger strap (aka Q-AM Shoulder Strap) is very comfortable for this because of the wide, padded strap area that is in contact with your body. Or, you could use the Absolute Strap.

HTH.

Moriond, thanks for that info. In general, I prefer a tote or zipper closure for EDC so I can get in and out of the bag quickly for access to kid stuff, phone, etc. I have a Ristretto for my laptop which is great, and I like the flap for knowing for sure if it is closed or not with a computer inside, but as a purse, the tote or zipper is my preference. And I like to shuffle between shoulder and cross body to give the shoulders a break.

Volunteer Moderator
    If it helps, the fact that the handles of the Swift are padded at the place where you grip them (if you carry the Swift in your hand), makes this fairly comfortable to shoulder carry. The poron foam distributes the weight, so the handles don't cut into either the palms of your hand or your shoulder. Some people find the handles might slip a bit on your shoulder and use a wrist wrap, but I've never found that to be the case. And when I tried a wrist wrap, I didn't find this was something I needed to use.

If you want to carry a zippered pouch that fits nicely into the bottom of the Swift, the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag works really well. Also, some forum members, like dorayme, like to use the Clear Quarter Packing Cubes to store knitting projects.

I should also add that if you follow the line of the handles to how they attach to the bag, this angle also helps to distribute the weight, so that the straps don't cut into your shoulders. It's another design feature that was adapted from his earlier Utility Tote bags. The "pull" from the weight of the bag contents is never straight down on your shoulders or hands.
    Last edited by moriond; 01-20-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added comment about weight distribution due to angle of handle connection

Luvdabags, like you I generally prefer bags that zip. However, I love my Swift! I clip everything to an O ring so nothing falls out. I also cross two long key straps in an X configuration across the top. This and the button closure gives me sufficient comfort. I know it's a belt and suspenders approach but it really does work.
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 01-20-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    There ARE hints and rumors of a new cross body style knitting bag to be released some time this year!!

Darcy or Beau, can you comment or give us any teasers yet?
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    Darcy or Beau, can you comment or give us any teasers yet?
    No hints yet! I wouldn't expect this to be released anytime soon, though -- it's still very much in the beginning design/prototyping stages.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Wink

I volunteer as a Beta tester! Hey, I tried...
    Ilkyway likes this.
    LCB, S19, SE, Co-Pilot, wallet, pouches

Need a cross strap for a larger carry bag.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0