Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By maverick

Thread: What are these new material options for BrainBag?

Question What are these new material options for BrainBag?

I was just looking at the Brain Bag. I'm really starting to find myself needing ONE bag that can carry both my Macbook and my camera gear at the same time.

I noticed that the main colors at the top are back-ordered, yet the same colors again are at the bottom of the list, not back-ordered, but they say 420d on them.

Can someone please explain the difference between Black/Navy/Steel (back-ordered) and Black 420d/Navy 420d/Steel 420d?

Quote Originally Posted by jwvanderbe View Post

Can someone please explain the difference between Black/Navy/Steel (back-ordered) and Black 420d/Navy 420d/Steel 420d?
    Anything that says 420D is the new Parapack fabric. You can do a search on the forum for explanations of what it is; there is also some info on the blog (search for the Guide's Pack).

The back ordered colors are the 1000D Cordura fabrics. If you have a Cafe Bag or a non-Dyneema Synapse, it's that material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Badger. I have the original S25 in Cordura, so the thought of using a new fabric is just unsettling because I hate change lol.

Reading up on it though it sounds good, so I might be willing to try it out.

jwvanderbe

One other interesting thing to note about the new 420d Parapack version of the BB that is that the bottom is actually 1050d Ballistic Nylon. There is a thread with pictures discussing this under the Questions about Bags or Accessories: 1000 denier Cordura® or 420d HT nylon Classic Parapack exterior Brain Bag!

I was really excited to see the 1050d Ballistic Nylon because it is just as strong as Cordura (Cordura is slightly better in abrasion resistance while 1050d is slightly better in tear resistance) but is very professional looking and does not attract pet hairs.

If I did not already have a BB (with the famous TB tag), I would be tempted to get the new one (still might be).

Cheers

Volunteer Moderator
    the 420d parapack + 1050d ballistic brain bag is the best thing since chocolate!

the only thing i can think of that would be better than a 420d parapack + 1050d ballistic brain bag is 420d parapack + 1050d ballistic brain bag full of chocolate!

I find the para pack is not quite as "stiff" as the ballistic or cordura, so don't like it as much for cafe bags or swifts (personal preference). However, on the front of the backpacks (Synapse, BB) it is gorgeous (I have a black para/iberian Syn 25), and the stiffer ballistic on the back side means the bag holds its shape well, while you also get to enjoy its shiny beauty.