Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Will the Pilot fit inside the Aeronaut?

Will the Pilot fit inside the Aeronaut?

Will the Pilot fit inside of the main compartment of the Aeronaut?

Trying to do bag-in-bag travel.

Dimensions: 15.4" x 11.4" x 5.1" / 390 x 290 x 130 mm

The dimensions of the Packing Cube Backpack are...
    Dimensions (as a packing cube): 13.5" x 13.5" x 4.25" / 345 x 345 x 105 mm

The extra width of the zippered area on top of the Aeronaut it looks to be about 310 centimeters across.

Seems like the Pilot won't fit?

Well, just remember that the interior of the Aeronaut can be expanded by unsnapping the restraints on the side pockets. Be warned, though, that if you exceed the normal space of the main compartment you will be taking utility away from the side pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Well, just remember that the interior of the Aeronaut can be expanded by unsnapping the restraints on the side pockets. Be warned, though, that if you exceed the normal space of the main compartment you will be taking utility away from the side pockets.
    So it won't fit without expanding the main compartment? Hrm.... What to do what to do...
    Last edited by saikyo; 01-14-2014 at 05:36 PM.

From your note, the issue I see is if the 15.4" length will fit. From my experience with the Aeronaut, it should be fine. The Aeronaut inside walls have a lot of "give".

I fit my 15.6" laptop in a 16"x 12" Zeroshock III sleeve in my Aeronaut (a bit of a squeeze) with no issue. I would believe that the Pilot, which is smaller in length and width should fit. The sides of the Aeronaut do unbutton if you need more space (at the expense of less side pocket space) - but I did not need to do this to fit my sleeve. I can even fit a 4Z vertical brain cell - but that is very tight.

Below is a link to a Tom Bihn video where they put a 15" MBP in a Cache into the Aeronaut. The Cache should have external dimensions around 15" x 10.4" - very similar to the Pilot

The Tom Bihn Aeronaut Maximum Carry-On Travel Bag - YouTube

As always, a call or email to the TB customer support should further confirm things.

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Last edited by tpnl; 01-14-2014 at 11:35 AM.

I agree; call the factory. Right now they're the only ones with a Pilot. I don't think it would be too hard to get the Pilot into the Aeronaut but the question is how much usable space you'll have left, assuming the Pilot is fully packed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    So it won't fit with spending the main compartment? Hrm.... What to do what to do...
    What Badger said was that the main Aeronaut compartment can be expanded by unsnapping the dividers for (either of) the end compartments. Some people do this in order to reconfigure the main compartment of the Aeronaut to carry larger objects. I've done this myself when I wanted to pack some larger items in the main compartment coming back from a trip by unsnapping one of the end pocket dividers, so you can gain up to another about 3.25". Some people do this when they want to pack a Synapse 19 in their Aeronaut to use at the other end, for example.

The Pilot was designed to fit into (among other bags) the middle compartment of the Tri-Star, which is not as long as the Aeronaut (total length), but doesn't have this split up into two end pockets at either end. See Katy's post on the dimensions of the Aeronaut compartments for details. The Pilot itself is designed to include other packing cubes and store additional organizer bags such as the Side Effects. If you don't want these features, and want just something that holds a 13" laptop and fits entirely in the main compartment of the Aeronaut, then you can use a Brain Cell, a Cache, or a more minimalist messenger bag such as the Large Cafe Bag that will just fit in the main compartment. The main compartment of the Aeronaut is about 13.5" x 13.5" x 8.5". Each end pocket is about 13.5" x 8.5" x 3.5".

However, realize that the main compartment of the Aeronaut was designeed to permit reconfigurartion, and that you can also get additional storage through packing cubes for the Pilot. You just cannot reconfigure the main compartment of the Aeronaut, and expect to have both the extra storage of the Pilot along with the full original volume of one of the end compartments.

HTH.

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    From your note, the issue I see is if the 15.4" length will fit. From my experience with the Aeronaut, it should be fine. The Aeronaut inside walls have a lot of "give".

I fit my 15.6" laptop in a 16"x 12" Zeroshock III sleeve in my Aeronaut (a bit of a squeeze) with no issue. I would believe that the Pilot, which is smaller in length and width should fit. The sides of the Aeronaut do unbutton if you need more space (at the expense of less side pocket space) - but I did not need to do this to fit my sleeve. I can even fit a 4Z vertical brain cell - but that is very tight.

Below is a link to a Tom Bihn video where they put a 15" MBP in a Cache into the Aeronaut. The Cache should have external dimensions around 15" x 10.4" - very similar to the Pilot

The Tom Bihn Aeronaut Maximum Carry-On Travel Bag - YouTube

As always, a call or email to the TB customer support should further confirm things.

Hope this helps

Cheers
    All correct, but because of the depth of the Pilot, which is larger than your sleeve, I suspect you'll have to actually unsnap the divider on one side separating the Main compartment from an end pocket. But you can call the Factory or ask Beau to check on this in detail. I don't see this as a usage problem, since you are also getting more packing storage with the Pilot.

I guess I should wait for people to actually try this out. I'm looking to do this to fit this need.

While wearing a suit appropriate briefcase to pair with Aeronaut

I guess I should wait for people to actually try this out. I'm looking to do this to fit this need.

So is the small Cozmo by waterfield actually smaller than the Pilot?

http://www.sfbags.com/products/mambo...cozmosuite.htm
    http://www.sfbags.com/products/cozmo...zmo-dia-lg.jpg

I still have my fingers crossed!
    Last edited by saikyo; 01-14-2014 at 10:37 PM.

For fun, I built a “fake” Pilot (size 15.5” x 11.5” x 5”) using two hard sleeves taped together and checked the fit in my Aeronaut.

Though not an absolute test, it did convince me that the Pilot can fit in the Aeronaut well and I may get it as a result. Though it was a bit tight to get past the main zipper, it fit well once in with no real intrusion into the side compartments despite it being 2” longer than an Aeronaut packing cube. I did not need to unbutton the sides to have it fit. It takes a few more seconds to get in and out so not the best if you need to take the Pilot out for TSA checks. It is easier to put in first and then add a packing cube on top with you clothes. The real Pilot may be easier to fit because, unlike the real Pilot, my “fake” Pilot has inflexible hard corrugated plastic sides.

To simulate a filled Aeronaut, in addition to the "fake" Pilot, I used a PCBP and put a Camera I/O in it to simulate it being full of clothes. I also put in a full size towel in each of the side pockets to show how much room is left over. I took a few pictures to help illustrate the fit.

Name:  Pilot going in.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  296.3 KB

Name:  Pilot on top -  Front.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  223.5 KB

Name:  Pilot on top - side.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  252.8 KB

Name:  Aeronaut packed - front.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  315.3 KB

Name:  Aeronaut packed - 3 quarter.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  195.0 KB

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Last edited by tpnl; 01-15-2014 at 12:56 PM.

So is the small Cozmo by waterfield actually smaller than the Pilot?

SFBags - WaterField Designs - Checkpoint Friendly - Laptop Bag - Messenger Bag - Briefcase - Travel Tote - Laptop Sleeve - Computer Sleeve
    http://www.sfbags.com/products/cozmo...zmo-dia-lg.jpg

I still have my fingers crossed!
    The small Cozmo is larger than the Pilot - 16.5" at it widest and 12" tall.
    The small Cargo is smaller than the Pilot - 13" by 10"

I have a large Cargo and the dimensions on the website and what I measure are close to the info on the website and is accurate for external dimensions.

Cheers

That was awesome tpnl. Extremely helpful!

In terms of build quality, do you have a sense of whether your Bihn stuff will outlast your w/f stuff or vice versa?

The Cargo doesn't have the professional look I'm looking for, I like the Cozmo more, but I'm also giving priority in on the smaller size so currently I'm leaning towards the Pilot.

Wow. Hadnt considered black/ iberian combo for a bag, but it is beautiful!

That was awesome tpnl. Extremely helpful!

In terms of build quality, do you have a sense of whether your Bihn stuff will outlast your w/f stuff or vice versa?

The Cargo doesn't have the professional look I'm looking for, I like the Cozmo more, but I'm also giving priority in on the smaller size so currently I'm leaning towards the Pilot.
    IMO, in terms of build quality, I believe both TB and W/F both do a great job – hand-made with made in US 1050d ballistic nylon. I think both will last a long time with only minor differences. The only thing I can think of as a potential difference is that TB will still look new with age because of the materials used. W/F uses leather in some of their products that can become worn, cracked and show crease lines - you know, character.

I think the differences are more in terms of:
    1) Style- what I describe as Urban City / Metro vs Travel / Function oriented. I must say that W/Fproducts do look sharp if you like their style but everyone is different.
    2) Design Options – TB has a lot more options to customize / add functionality to their bags while W/F is more about creating a simple and slim look
    3) Materials (other than 1050d Ballistic Nylon) – W/F uses leather while TB uses many types of highly tear/abrasion resistant materials like Cordura, Dyneema & Parapack.
    4) TB has an amazing forum for further enhancing the customer experience using their products – and it works, making us want to get more TB products!

I am sure there are more differences that other people can add!

Cheers
    Last edited by tpnl; 01-15-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    Wow. Hadnt considered black/ iberian combo for a bag, but it is beautiful!
    Yes - I usually am a boring person colorwise - Black with Steel interior. Most of my bags are like that. The Aeronaut has changed my mind and I will try to order that Black / Iberian combo from now on. It is really sharp looking.

Cheers

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Beau's Avatar
    Alright, finally got around to testing the fit of the Pilot in the Aeronaut and...

It will fit. No need to undo the snaps, either!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast