Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Pilot or Cadet?

Pilot or Cadet?

Does anyone have any opinions? I don't carry much: 13" macbook air, a notebook, some pens/highlighters, an occasional book, and other small things.

What advantages/disadvantages does the pilot have over the cadet for use as a daily briefcase? (for example. I see that the Pilot can hold a water bottle).

Thanks!

I can't answer your question, but I am also wondering about the Pilot versus the Cadet. I have a Pilot on order for my husband, but now I'm wondering if he would rather have a Cadet. He likes a minimal look, but I know he would want it to carry his computer, his portfolio, and have a dedicated space for his iPhone and business cards.

I received a Co-Pilot yesterday, and after having looked at the back large compartment, I'm afraid he wouldn't like how the zipper barely goes down the side at all. I was thinking it would go approximately half way down, but from what I can see, it doesn't appear to.

Quote Originally Posted by HYPEractiv View Post
    What advantages/disadvantages does the pilot have over the cadet for use as a daily briefcase? (for example. I see that the Pilot can hold a water bottle).
    You say water bottle, I say umbrella. I am using my co-pilot today and it is raining. I don't usually carry a water bottle but always carry an umbrella. From what I can tell you, it seems as if the Pilot is lighter than the Cadet (the Cadet has larger dimensions but not depth.) Honestly, although I am Pilot/co-pilot-biased (I have a Pilot on order), you can't go wrong with either bag. The Cadet is nice. If you are not carrying much (and it sounds like you aren't), then either one would be fine.
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray

Volunteer Moderator
    hi HYPEractiv, Mausermama!

both the pilot and the cadet will fit what each of you have described, except the cadet won't accommodate most water bottles.

in addition to a dedicated spot for a bottle or thermos, the pilot also has a dedicated spot for the ipad mini, if you happen to carry that or a similarly sized tablet - that isn't to say that the cadet won't accommodate a tablet. the cadet has a dedicated zippered pocket for a phone, whereas the phone would go into a front compartment of the pilot along with writing utensils. the pilot has two dyneema lined pockets inside the main compartment, whereas the cadet has one that spans the width of the bag. the cadet that would accommodate a 13" macbook air would also accommodate a 15" macbook pro - so the cadet has a slightly larger footprint than the pilot.

i think it comes down to which design resonates with you more.

both are beautifully designed, and both are checkpoint friendly!

you can always order both to try out in your home, and keep the one that you like (though as others will tell you, that can result in you keeping both .

Mausermama, the zipper to the main compartment of the cadet also doesn't go more than a couple of inches down the side.
    -m

Is there a way to get side by side shots? I really think the Pilot will fit my needs better, but the Cadet is a proven model. The biggest problem with buying both is paying shipping cost to return :-/

Thanks for responding, Maverick. I went out and located some photos of the interior of the Cadet, and I really like it. Hubby requested black/wasabi, and I was pleased to see it is available in that color combination. I am contemplating ordering both, but am also hesitant because I dislike paying to send the other one back. It definitely appears as though the Cadet would take care of his wants, though.

Off to contemplate!

I have a Cadet in Black-Wasabi. In my opinion, it looks more like a briefcase than the Pilot; more 'minimal' as you mentioned above. The Pilot appears to be more of a 'hybrid' travel / laptop bag. The Pilot was not available when I bought my Cadet, but even now I would choose it. This is because it is slimmer and I need it to fit inside the middle compartment of my Tri-Star when travelling with work.

On a daily basis, my Cadet holds a dell laptop in a 4Z cache with a few work papers. I also have a Side-Effect (contains laptop power brick, mouse, USB key, etc) and iPad mini that fit well into the front of the Cadet.

My water bottle is a Nalgene Flask which is also slim enough to fit in the front pocket; in this case, the iPad mini goes inside the main compartment instead.

Black-Wasabi is a great choice for work; professional looking on the outside but with just a bit of individuality on the inside.

Name:  Cadet.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  65.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by UK-Limey View Post

On a daily basis, my Cadet holds a dell laptop in a 4Z cache with a few work papers. I also have a Side-Effect (contains laptop power brick, mouse, USB key, etc) and iPad mini that fit well into the front of the Cadet.

[/ATTACH]
    UK-Limey, do you need a cache for your Dell in the Cadet? Does the Cadet have enough padding to put a computer directly in it "naked"?

Also, does anyone know how well (or if) a 4Z cache (essentially a 15" laptop) can fit well in a Pilot? Would the laptop have to be in a cache to protect it?

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltee View Post
    Also, does anyone know how well (or if) a 4Z cache (essentially a 15" laptop) can fit well in a Pilot? Would the laptop have to be in a cache to protect it?
    Just got the Pilot in the mail today. Although I don't have a 4Z cache, I do have a 15" macbook pro. The fit, without any case, is fairly snug (maybe on finger breadth of room on only one of the sides.)

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 659
Size:  569.0 KB)

I got my Black Dyneema Pilot last night — what a beautiful bag — and one of the first things I wanted to check was whether a 15" Retina MacBook Pro in a TB cache would fit in the main pocket. Much to my pleasant surprise, it fits perfectly (things are tight in there for sure, but nothing is visibly stretched), and the rail system works like a dream!

Name:  IMG_4649.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  892.6 KB
    moriond and tpnl like this.

I've got my Pilot pretty densely packed, and even with the 15" laptop in there, with the Absolute Shoulder Strap carrying it is nothing but breezes.

I've got a Side Effect with my wallet/keys/gum/bizcards in one of the front pockets; and a small Eagle Creek cube for whiteboard markers along with my flashlight and pens and laptop charger in the other.

My Contigo mug full of Joe is in the centre pocket, with room on top for an apple or protein bar.

All told, this bag is the perfect match to my Black Ballistic / Wasabi Tri-Star, both in function and appearance.

Name:  ZceRDAX.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  759.4 KB

Wow, I didn't think the Pilot would fit a MacBook Pro Retina 15" with TB cache. I use a Synapse 25 with my TB cache and laptop, may have to consider getting a Pilot someday. I'm loving my Co-Pilot
    Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch | Various Key Straps

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltee View Post
    UK-Limey, do you need a cache for your Dell in the Cadet? Does the Cadet have enough padding to put a computer directly in it "naked"?
    Hi. The foam on the sides & bottom gives some protection. But I would never go through an airport without the cache. Backwards and forwards to the office is OK without the cache.

Quote Originally Posted by HYPEractiv View Post
    Just got the Pilot in the mail today. Although I don't have a 4Z cache, I do have a 15" macbook pro. The fit, without any case, is fairly snug (maybe on finger breadth of room on only one of the sides.)

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 659
Size:  569.0 KB)
    HYPEractiv, is that the Steel/UV Pilot combo? Could you by chance post some interior shots of the UV? :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0