Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Miking

Thread: how many suits will fit in Aeronaut?

how many suits will fit in Aeronaut?

I've been thinking about the Aeronaut bag. I'm curious about how many suits will fit in an Aeronaut bag.

Has anyone tried bringing say three suits and four dress shirts? How would that work with the packing cubes?

I've only put a suit with dress shirts in the tristar, but I did have an aeronaut, if I had to guess, I would say 2 suits and a couple dress shirts if you want to pack them in such a way that would strongly diminish wrinkles but maybe a bit more if you pack real tight.

This vid from Tom Bihn may give you a better idea.

Packing a Suit in the Tom Bihn Aeronaut Maximum Carry-on Bag - YouTube

I am not sure about three proper suits fitting but I once read that, if selected carefully; two suits, four dress shirts, four ties and two pairs of shoes will give a man 64 possible combinations at his disposal. If you were willing to wear a suit on the plane that jumps to 96 possible combinations.

That would easily fit inside the Aeronaut along with socks, underwear, undershirts, a well appointed Dopp kit, belt to match other shoes, swim suit/workout shorts, minimalist workout/casual shoes, sweater, lightweight casual pants, travel documents and compact umbrella.

How I would fit it in:

Main compartment
    Suit jackets- folded and placed under straps
    Suit pants- folded under straps or in large packing cube
    Dress shirts- folded from dry cleaners in bag or my favorite way
    Socks- in necks of dress shirts or in small packing cube
    In small packing cubes:
    Undershirts - flip-folding optional but recommended!
    Underwear- steam pressed for crisp creases
    Workout shorts/swim trunks
    Wherever they end up fitting:
    Ties- stowed carefully to not wrinkle or crease
    Casual pants
    Belt- coiled between layers
    Cardigan style sweater if you weren't scarred by being forced to wear them for school photos

Side pocket #1
    Dress shoes in fabric end pocket packing cube, polishing supplies inside shoes, clean buffing cloth between.
    Minimalist shoes-in same cube, other cube or loose in pocket

Side pocket #2
    The all encompassing Dopp kit- clear 3D organizer? Side effect? clear quarter packing cube? Something in rich Italian leather you classy devil you!
    Cables, adaptors and chargers- 3D organizer cube
    Travel umbrella
    Extra watch or watch straps?

In slash pocket:
    Travel documents, passport etc.

After all is said and done you should have a bit of room left over for whatever you want: Anything specific to you, an few extra pieces of clothing, a few trinkets to bring back etc...

All of this is assuming that you will be wearing one outfit on the plane and because of business you have a dedicated briefcase with your computer, files, Walther PPK and exploding pen.
    andrewj likes this.

For a bag like the Aeronaut, you might consider rolling the suit instead of folding it. I tried this method and it works.

Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Wow, Miking! You've done this before. Very impressive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    I am not sure about three proper suits fitting but I once read that, if selected carefully; two suits, four dress shirts, four ties and two pairs of shoes will give a man 64 possible combinations at his disposal. If you were willing to wear a suit on the plane that jumps to 96 possible combinations.

That would easily fit inside the Aeronaut along with socks, underwear, undershirts, a well appointed Dopp kit, belt to match other shoes, swim suit/workout shorts, minimalist workout/casual shoes, sweater, lightweight casual pants, travel documents and compact umbrella.

How I would fit it in:

Main compartment
    Suit jackets- folded and placed under straps
    Suit pants- folded under straps or in large packing cube
    Dress shirts- folded from dry cleaners in bag or my favorite way
    Socks- in necks of dress shirts or in small packing cube
    In small packing cubes:
    Undershirts - flip-folding optional but recommended!
    Underwear- steam pressed for crisp creases
    Workout shorts/swim trunks
    Wherever they end up fitting:
    Ties- stowed carefully to not wrinkle or crease
    Casual pants
    Belt- coiled between layers
    Cardigan style sweater if you weren't scarred by being forced to wear them for school photos

Side pocket #1
    Dress shoes in fabric end pocket packing cube, polishing supplies inside shoes, clean buffing cloth between.
    Minimalist shoes-in same cube, other cube or loose in pocket

Side pocket #2
    The all encompassing Dopp kit- clear 3D organizer? Side effect? clear quarter packing cube? Something in rich Italian leather you classy devil you!
    Cables, adaptors and chargers- 3D organizer cube
    Travel umbrella
    Extra watch or watch straps?

In slash pocket:
    Travel documents, passport etc.

After all is said and done you should have a bit of room left over for whatever you want: Anything specific to you, an few extra pieces of clothing, a few trinkets to bring back etc...

All of this is assuming that you will be wearing one outfit on the plane and because of business you have a dedicated briefcase with your computer, files, Walther PPK and exploding pen.
    Wow this is very helpful. Will both the suit jacket and suit pants fit in a large packing cube?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewj View Post
    Wow this is very helpful. Will both the suit jacket and suit pants fit in a large packing cube?
    They would but I find I get less wrinkles and the jackets fit better when strapped in the bottom. In off-the-shelf suit jackets I am a 44-46 tall so while fitting pretty much perfectly sideways, the jackets are a few inches too long to fit neatly in the packing cube. One of the nice things about the Aeronaut is the snaps in the bottom of the main compartment can be un-snapped to make room for longer suits.

If I have a particularly wrinkle prone suit jacket I will place the folded slacks in between to try to avoid tight radius folds. But otherwise the slacks go in the large packing cube with the shirts. If you don't take a tall suit jacket you could theoretically fit them inside the packing cube but then you would need another large packing cube for shirts and you end up carrying a bit of needless weight.

While on the subject of packing cubes I recommend you have a look at the packing cube backpack in lieu of the large and at least one packing cube shoulder bag in lieu of the small packing cubes. With one large cube, two small cubes, one fabric end pocket cube and your choice of toiletries bag you can't go wrong.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0