Guide's Pack - questions
About the new Guide's Pack backpack from Tom Bihn:
1: What is the interior lining of the backpack's main compartment made of? Is it parapack? (That's what the specs seem to suggest.)
2: Why are the sides of the Guide's Pack made of parapack, but the bottom is made of 1050d ballistic nylon?
3: Assuming the cavernous main compartment of the pack is lined with parapack, why is there no lining option for dyneema available? Would dyneema be considered a poor choice for this kind of pack?
4: Can anyone post photos of how the detachable side pockets are attacked to the Guide's Pack? Thank you.
5: If someone wanted to carry an aftermarket camera insert in the Guide's Pack main compartment, what would be the inside dimensions?
6: If someone wanted to carry an aftermarket camera insert in the Guide's Pack outer detachable pockets, what would be the inside dimensions?
Originally Posted by MtnMan
1. The main compartment and the top flap has no lining, it's the other side of the Parapack. The interior "look" is reminiscent of the look of those iron on patches your mom used to use on your jeans after u ripped the knee up. In my case since I have the olive, it looks olive, but does not have that glistening look the outside has. The exception on the lining is the side of the lid pocket that interfaces with the coyote mesh pockets. In that case the lining is steel Parapack.
2. Probably several reasons, the first being aesthetics, the second being weight, the third being the effect it would have on the unibody structure of the bag.
3. Hmmm, no lining = no lining option. (Weight and simplicity of design were probably the factors here)
4. I could do that after this weekend. (I'm going on a 15 mile hike tomorrow and was considering documenting it)
5. That could vary due to the flexibility of the main compartment, (again after tomorrow's hike, I'll bring a tape measure!)
6. I only have the lead pockets which already have a foam element inside the face that interfaces the pack and the outside part. I have my canon g-15 in a padded pouch inside the lower section of the leads pocket when I'm not carrying it in my side effect. The left/right pockets have only foam on the inner side and doesn't have all the meshy pockets, so in theory u would have more room to put an insert. But I'll follow up with dimensions on the leads pockets after my hike.
^ Thanks! Looking forward to your post-hike feedback.
Since there was no follow-up on this thread, I thought I'd try doing a necro-post here.
Hopefully Trailhiker was able to get off that mountain. 😄
Originally Posted by MtnMan
I might have one of these coming my way shortly. What info are you still looking for?
I was also considering trying to shoehorn a camera insert into the Side Pockets, but based on the dimensions, I don't know of they are wide enough for most inserts. I use an Ape Case that was pretty much as narrow as I could find at 3.5". If the Side Pockets are 3.75" wide externally, it might fit, but t will be tight!