Need to fit a Lenovo W530 into a Cadet

I'm looking for an EDC bag for a W530 (similar size to a W520) with extended battery (14-5/8"w X 10-3/8" d X 1-3/8"t). Just getting the machine into the pocket is enough, I'm not terribly concerned with fitting it into a cache as well. Anyone try this Thinkpad/Cadet combination? I'm not looking for something larger as I currently have a small case I like the size of, but would appreciate the quality and waterproof zippers on the Cadet.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    I'm looking for an EDC bag for a W530 (similar size to a W520) with extended battery (14-5/8"w X 10-3/8" d X 1-3/8"t). Just getting the machine into the pocket is enough, I'm not terribly concerned with fitting it into a cache as well. Anyone try this Thinkpad/Cadet combination? I'm not looking for something larger as I currently have a small case I like the size of, but would appreciate the quality and waterproof zippers on the Cadet.
    It's the extended life batteries on these models that make sizing a cache or Brain Cell difficult. I've ordered a W520 for a colleague, and even got an extra Cadet in Black/Iberian for this, but he's very bad about using Brain cells or other laptop bags. They all get stuck in his old Lands End Square Rigger Canvas Attaches (I ordered three of these when we had to replace the first one of these he bought, so these have yet to be exhausted). I never got as far as trying to find a cache for this size laptop.

I have the Cadet with Cache for my 13" MacBook (Pro or Air). My old ThinkPad is the T60p, which was just before the widescreen replacements came in, and easier to fit.

Have you considered the Founder's Briefcase? The design of that bag would easily fit the W530 in the laptop compartment. Maybe Jeffmac can comment, since he has both the original 15/13 Cadet in Ballistic Nylon and the New Founder's Briefcase in HT420 Nylon Parapack.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    It's the extended life batteries on these models that make sizing a cache or Brain Cell difficult
    I'm looking to use just the Cadet, no Brain Cell or Cache. It sounds like a size 1 would work, maybe with some Velcro on the opening, but wouldn't fit into the Cadet. Of course, I would be willing to try...

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Have you considered the Founder's Briefcase?
    I don't currently use a sleeve on my laptop, so having the separate pocket for all my stuff is necessary. That also allows me to just drop the laptop in and go, I don't know how well I would adapt to an extra layer of securing. Is the mesh pocket fully divided, or could I get a brick power adapter to fit across all three divisions?

I would be using the Cadet only, no Brain Cell or Cache (it sounds like a size 1 Cache might fit with some jury rigging on the opening, but wouldn't fit into the Cadet. I would be willing to try, of course...) I like the look of the Cadet better, more office-worthy, and I'm not sure if I could get used to another step when I'm not meandering through the TSA kabuki theater.

Hello

I believe your laptop will fit fine in the Cadet without a Cache or Brain Cell. I have the T version of your laptop (same dimensions) as well and I fit it in a Zephyr with a 16" long sleeve - no problem.

The reason I believe your bare laptop will fit is:

The 13/15 Cadet will fit a 4Z cache ... the exterior dimensions for the 4Z cache are 15” x 10.3” x 1.8” ... these dimensions are all close or larger than your stated laptop dimensions.

I personally think that you could even find a thin sleeve for scratch / ding protection that would still fit inside the Cadet too.

There is also a "How to" thread on how to "stretch" a cache a bit. Perhaps a stretched 4Z cache would work for you and still fit in this bag.

Hope this helps. Perhaps the TB crew can test fit something the size of your laptop in a Cadet. Also note that there is a bit more clearance on the edges as the battery sticks out in the centre only. The laptop is more like 9.8" deep at the edges.

Cheers and Happy New Year!
    Last edited by tpnl; 01-02-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    Hello

I believe your laptop will fit fine in the Cadet without a Cache or Brain Cell. I have the T version of your laptop (same dimensions) as well and I fit it in a Zephyr with a 16" long sleeve - no problem.

The reason I believe your bare laptop will fit is:

The 13/15 Cadet will fit a 4Z cache ... the exterior dimensions for the 4Z cache are 15 x 10.3 x 1.8 ... these dimensions are all close or larger than your stated laptop dimensions.

I personally think that you could even find a thin sleeve for scratch / ding protection that would still fit inside the Cadet too.

There is also a "How to" thread on how to "stretch" a cache a bit. Perhaps a stretched 4Z cache would work for you and still fit in this bag.

Hope this helps. Perhaps the TB crew can test fit something the size of your laptop in a Cadet. Also note that there is a bit more clearance on the edges as the battery sticks out in the centre only. The laptop is more like 9.8" deep at the edges.

Cheers and Happy New Year!
    This is correct. The W520 fits into the Cadet pretty exactly, without any cache, so it can be held in place by the sides of the bag. The internal pocket can be used for papers and folders. I just checked this.

Thanks a lot for the guidance. I may try the largest Cache as well see if it works (if the 4Z roughly "fits" the T-series, I'll try that for TSA at least). Now: wait for Steel/Iberian to backorder, or Black/Wasabi?

imperator

If you are going "commando" with your laptop, it should be protected well already in the cadet - the front, back and bottom have good closed cell padding. I would just add something on the sides - like what they have on the Targus bags - a 10-12" strip of thin foam with plastic sheet backing that is used to keep smaller laptops from moving around in the Targus bags. Something on the top might be good too - maybe a cloth flap.

Cheers

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0