Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By monkeylady

Thread: Synapse 19 for safari?

Synapse 19 for safari?

I am looking for a bag to take on safari as my "personal item". I will use it on out international flights as a carry on and its second use will be as a day bag when we go on game drives, etc. For the flights I need something that holds a clean shirt, socks and undergarments, kindle, a guidebook, small cosmetic bag, pashmina, cell phone, water bottle, gum, tissues, compact comb, quart size bag of liquids and a deflated travel pillow. As a day bag, I need to carry a fleece, my small wallet and sunglasses, binoculars, small cosmetic pouch, sunscreen, tissues and wipes, gloves and hat and a water bottle.
    I have an Id messenger that I love but I am hesitant to throw it around on the floor of a safari vehicle as I use it regularly at school and conferences. The co-pilot is very interesting to me but I think it is not quite large enough for my needs. I really prefer a messenger as I like the cross body carry but it seems that a backpack might be more practical in this situation. My concern with backpacks is my experience of one big compartment where the heavy things fall to the bottom and it is hard to access items inside. I have a couple of small daypacks that we use for hiking and it seems I can never see what is inside or find anything. I notice, however, that he Synapse has a separate bottom section and the bag seems to have a decent amount of organization. Does this make it easier to access items in the main compartment?
    What do those of you with experience with the Synapse think of it's suitability for my needs?

This sounds exactly like a job for the Synapse 19 - I think you'll find it will be the perfect bag for what you need. I've done all sorts of travel with mine and have found that it is perfect. The bottom section is a great place to put all the cosmetic items you've listed, and one of the side pockets would be perfect for your sunglasses. There is a huge amount of organization in the Synapse that I think will impress you once you get your hands on one and play around with packing your stuff.

I can see a 19 working well for you. If you want to go all out, a packing cube with clothing at the bottom. A Kit for cosmetics in the bottom pocket. A stuff sack or two for the other bits & bobs. The water bottle in the water bottle pocket. I'd add a long key strap to hook your wallet to inside the bag. I think you'd have plenty of room left over. I'd go with a Dyneema exterior. It seems to shed dirt, fuzz and general gunk better than Cordura. It will wear like iron too.
    Please let us know what you decide, with pictures.
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 12-29-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I think the Synapse is just perfect for your items. I have an S25 and I will be using almost exactly as you will in about a month to Ecuador's Amazonia region. I chose a bigger pack because, well, I'm bigger....in flight it will carry a PCSB with nightwear, clean unders and socks, shirt, and base layer; binoculars; noise cancelling headphones; bathroom kit in clear 1/4 cube (large travel towel and washcloth, bar soap and case, toothbrush and powder, shaving supplies, deodorant, moisturizer, Qtips, nail clipper, emery board, floss, daily meds; camera; another clear 1/4 cube with cables, chargers batteries, travel charging strip); travel tray (ear plugs and buds, glasses case, barrette, head lamp, flashlite, hospital socks, travel alarm); suspended SE (battery backup, snacks); bottom pocket to house another SE as a small EDC; passport pouch....on and on.

It is loaded this way so I don't have to unpack my larger bag the first night. After that, the Synapse becomes my EDC with camera, binocs, rain poncho and light jacket, bug and sun stuff, water x 2, sunglasses, hat, snacks, wipes, hand cleanser. Frankly, it's even possible that my PCSB could handle the EDC list. I'll have to try it....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Aren't the new Synapse backpack offered in a choice of either dyneema or parapack? I think they did away with the 1050d stuff, didn't they? I think I read on here that the parapack is as resistant to hair and dirt as the dyneema is.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I agree that the Synapse 19 will serve you well. The organizer pockets keep the small stuff out of the main section and easy to get at. Stuff sacks, organizer pouches or smaller packing cubes could also help compartmentalize the main section if you wanted.

I have a Synapse 19 in Dyneema and I think the S19 would suit your needs perfectly. It's available with bright interiors and has a great pocket layout. You can put all of the smaller items in the 5 outer pockets, and just use the large main compartment for bulkier items, and there are O-rings to clip Organizer Pouches or a Side Effect to in case you need more organization for that compartment as well.

Many thanks for all of the helpful info. I am decided that the Synapse is the bag for me. I am thinking Dyneema-either Steel or Black-with a bright interior. I like the red, can't think of the name, but recall that it is currently out of stock? How do I get info about what colors might be available in the next few months?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0