Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By daisy

Thread: Piggyback a bag to a roller suitcase

Piggyback a bag to a roller suitcase

Hi

My wife wants a new computer backpack for her overseas travels. She wants to be able to piggyback it into her suitcase. One solution we have seen, is a strap running across the back of the backpack so that the pack can just slide down the telescope handle on the suitcase. She was looking at the Brain Bag (she needs a big pack), but there is no obvious way to do with that bag.

Any ideas about how a Brain Bag easily can piggyback onto a suitcase?

I have a 2004 version of the BB (still looking brand new) with a 2-part top handle and a 2" waist strap (not removable).
    I thread the telescopic handle of my wheeled Tumi Vapor (handle width is 6" wide) through the BB waist strap and loop the BB handle over the top of the telescopic handle.
    While the new BB has a 1-1/2" waist strap and one piece handle, I believe the above would still work (more recent version BB owners, please chime in). The waist strap should be fine to use in this configuration and if the handle does not work, you can just buy/make a strap the will loop around the BB handle and the top of the wheeled luggage.
    Also, I sometimes use the BB sternum straps instead of the handle and just tie them together around the wheeled luggage telescopic handle.

Alternately, I can put the BB sideways and put the shoulder straps over the wheeled case handle and tighten the straps (this can be done for any backpack)

Hope this helps.

I strongly prefer bags (backpacks or other) with slip straps/sleeves for the option to go over the handle of a small roller. I took the Synapse 19 on a recent flight, and attached it by tightening the waist belt and slipping it over the handle to rest on the suitcase. Then I attached the top Synapse handle (which is too small to slip over a roller handle) to the roller handle with a Gear Tie.

I'm not a backpack person (bad neck and shoulder), but I found the Synapse 19 very comfortable to wear. It's a good size to fit under a seat. For an upcoming trip to Europe, I'm considering a Synapse 25. I love the organization of the Synapse, especially to put a Side Effect (with plane seat items) or 3D clear pouch (for 311 bag) in the lower compartment, attached to a key strap.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Just remember if you're flying in Europe, many airlines either only allow one carry on bag or charge through the nose for a second (e.g. FlyBe.com can be as much as 100 to upgrade from Economy to Economy Plus on a 45 ticket!).

Thank you all for very useful tips! My wife currently has her thinking hat on.

Love all the suggestions. It got me thinking, will test tomorrow, tighten the waist strap around the uprights and use a bit (or 2) of Velcro tape to hook the backpack loop handle to the handle of the roller. I have a roll of one inch wide Velcro that has hooks on one side and loops on the other. I use it in my garden to hold plants to their stakes.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

That's a good idea, Moose. I'll have to try that too - a Velcro strap might be less obtrusive and more securely attached. I was using these: Amazon.com: Nite Ize Gear Tie - Assorted 16 Pack: Sports & Outdoors I still wish the Synapse (ok, my Tristar and Imago too) had a slip-sleeve option, but this worked fairly well. The bag didn't flop around.

like this ...

IMG_2103.jpg

extreme piggyback (please note I have NOT travelled with this setup!)

photo 3-1
    Moose likes this.
    List under construction ....

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0