Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip

Thread: Do you have an Aeronaut in Dyneema? How is it holding up?

Do you have an Aeronaut in Dyneema? How is it holding up?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Binh
    ...you'll need to exercise care and not drag or otherwise mistreat your ultralight Aeronaut. It's a compromise many will feel worthwhile, but it's a compromise to consider.
    I fly frequently with Ryan Air and Wiz Air, and where I live, they weigh carry-ons every time. The .3Kg difference in weight between the Dyneema and ballistic nylon models of the bag can matter to me.

If you've made the compromise and you have a Dyneema fabric Aeronaut, I'd like to know whether you're happy with it. As a carry-on, is it proving to be durable for you? Any regrets? Other comments?

I have both Aeronauts. For your type of travel, the Dyneema will be fine.

On Ryanair, you have a 10kg limit.

On Wizzair, there is no weight limit as long as you can place the bag in the overhead by yourself. It's size. To carry on the Aeronaut, either one, you'll have to pay the large bag fee.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

you have a 10kg limit.
    Hence the reason for this thread.

Can you elaborate on "will be fine"?

"will be fine" as in everything will be okay, you won't have problems, the bag will hold up, it won't fall apart, etc. etc. etc. (My bag still looks brand new.)

You're worried about a 10kg weight limit on Ryanair? That's one of the most lenient weigh limits for European carriers that have weight limits. Most others are usually 8kg or less.

Perhaps you should focus on learning to pack less. The standard suggestion for carrying a convertible bag on your back is no more than 10% of your body weight. So, unless you weigh over 100kg, you're planning to pack too heavy.
    Last edited by Frank II; 12-27-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I have taken my Dyneema Aeronaut on several trips and was actually forced to check it once (liquid requirements not space requirements) and mine has held up brilliantly. Still looks new, no snags, no stains.

It actually repels dirt better than my Cordura Tristar...
    Last edited by jeffmac; 12-27-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Love my Aeronaute in Dyneema, I think Travel Dyneema is the best idea Tom and the Crew has ever had for making our travel easier.

The bestest idea being the creation of Skookum dog!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    We've been using both a ballistic and a Dyneema Aeronaut plus a Dyneema Tri Star since the Dyneena bags were launched. All are holding up extremely well. Each must have done two dozen flights and the only failure to date was a tie-down strap in the Dyneema Aeronaut. Though, to be fair, it was the strap that failed, not the Dyneema! My steel Ballistic Aeronaut (and my Cardinal Ballistic Western Flyer) remains my favourite, but I'd have no worries if all I had was my Dyneema bags.

Where do you fly from that RyanAir weighs your carry on bags? I fly RyanAir 20+ times a year and I've never had my bag weighed. That being said, if there might be a potential problem kilo or 5, I don't go anywhere near a check-in desk, but straight to the gate where size is all they can check :-)

Where do you fly from that RyanAir weighs your carry on bags? I fly RyanAir 20+ times a year and I've never had my bag weighed. That being said, if there might be a potential problem kilo or 5, I don't go anywhere near a check-in desk, but straight to the gate where size is all they can check
    Italy. Ryan Air has dedicated lines to get to the security check. If you have a Ryan Air boarding pass, you go past their weigh station first, before you can get through security.

They also weigh bags at the gate, too. Not everytime, but frequently. I presume that this is to nab those who wore all their clothes through the first check and then restuffed their bags prior to reaching the gate.

But you can't get through security without a weigh. This has been my experience in Bari, Brindisi, Treviso, Milano Linate, Bergamo, Catania, Cagliari, and a couple others I can't remember right now.

Edit: Frankfurt Hahn was another one. Their check was post-security, but pre-gate.
    Last edited by Skoop; 12-29-2013 at 02:18 AM.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    My God, it's getting worse! I shouldn't speak to loudly, but in UK, Spain and Poland I've never seen anything like that.

Ryanair now allows a second smaller bag (personal item) so you can pack even heavier. And the 10kg limit is only on the main carry on bag--not the personal item.

To help par down the wieght in your bag, have you tried using a Scottvest to carry heavies like your ipad?

Travel Vests, Travel Clothing, Wrinkle-Free, Lightweight:SCOTTEVEST, INC./SeV
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 12-29-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0