Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By dupkwut
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip
  • 1 Post By roarmouse
  • 4 Post By mjk11
  • 2 Post By kkintea
  • 4 Post By moriond

Thread: Travel Trays as improvised Travel Stuff Sacks?

Travel Trays as improvised Travel Stuff Sacks?

I have a question for owners of Travel Trays and Travel Stuff Sacks.

I see they are very similar in construction, with some obvious differences. But let me propose an idea to you for your reaction:

What if I bought a Travel Tray (or trays) and used them as if they were just Travel Stuff Sacks? I realize the shape is different and that the Sacks come in varying sizes (two larger, two smaller; the Tray is like a Size 2.5 Sack, in a manner of speaking) and are not shaped exactly the same as the Trays. But if you look upon a Tray as a Size 2.5 Sack and using accordingly, wouldn't it work? If not, why not?

Has anyone ever used the Trays this way? How did it work out?

Thanks in advance.

--MtnMan

P.S. - What clever uses have you found for Travel Trays and Travel Stuff Sacks?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

You could try using the TT as a stuff sack with one caveat: it has a more rigid structure in its bottom half and does not smoosh as easily as a true sack into nooks and crannies. That being said, I haven't tested the TT's stuffability-ness to its limits either. There are numerous posts about TT use. It was the first purchase I made when I visited the store and I use it everyday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

As monkeylady said, the TT has more structure but otherwise there's no reason it wouldn't work. It might be a bit fussier to get it where you want it but it should work. I've turned stuff sack half way inside out and used the as the TT was meant to be used. Worked just fine. I love multi purpose anything.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

My first purchase was a TT and it is more structure and feels awkward when I'm stuffing it in my aeronaut. However it works great as it sits up right as it is intended. For my second purchase, I decided to go with the Yarn sacks as it does the same job for me and I am able to stuff that in wherever there is space

Been there, done that. I actually used one of my TTs in just that way a few days ago as I was packing to spend a few days with family at Christmas. Couldn't find my stuff sack for socks and undies so I just used a TT. It worked like a charm as I stuffed it into my Smart Alec. Others are correct in pointing out the main caveat in that it is a bit more rigid, but if the bag into which you are trying to stuff it isn't terribly tight, it should be no problem.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I use the TT as a stuff sack, exactly as it was designed to be used. I've also a number of Stuff Sacks that I use regularly too. My wife has one yarn sack. I think that if I buy any more, I'll think first of yarn sacks simply because they have clips on them. I cannot understand why the travel versions don't have a clip on the outside... after all, isn't that a signature feature of TB bags? With a clip, or even just an O ring you can clip the bag in to your travel bag, tether it with a key strap or convert it in to a carry bag on its own using a handle strap or a shoulder strap. I use a size 2 to hold a cash purse, a kindle, an iPod and ear buds when I get on a plane (all the things I need during a flight) and adding a strap would be a real help as I'm not sure that using the draw cord for this is altogether wise.
    SusanM likes this.

@Fat Crip,

Great idea re: Yarn Sacks. I'll swap around my Wishlist

Peace!

What are the practical differences between Travel Stuff Sacks and Yarn Stuff Sacks, or are there any?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

The yarn stuff sacks have a circular base, and some of them come in a clear bottom so you can see the contents of the bag. Additionally, the yarn stuff sacks have a yarn guide (think carabiner clip). And they also have the hooks on the outside.

The stuff sacks are oval in shape, without a guide, a clear base, or hooks. I use them both. As a knitter, I purchased a full size complement of the yarn stuff sacks, and I now have a size 1 and 2 regular stuff sack. Also, the carry capacity is slightly different from the other sizes of the regular stuff sacks.
    Last edited by Mausermama; 12-28-2013 at 06:51 AM. Reason: spelling

For knitters.... the TT makes a great yarn sack AND an even better yarn bowl. With the sides flipped down, I can see all of the content inside...just wish it had a yarn guide like the yarn sacks

I've found that the TT sits nicely in the top of the Little Swift. I've got my Side Effect underneath it traveling, but I'd imagine it would be a setup for other uses as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also love using the travel trays as knitting project bags. I like that they have some shape to them but can easily be closed and stuffed into a bag. I definitely plan on using them as stuff sacks in my aeronaut. I have two and just ordered a third in UV this week. I think they will also be useful for my kids to stash a couple small toys/crayons/notebooks in during our flights. I am all about items that can multi-task
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mjk11 View Post
    For knitters.... the TT makes a great yarn sack AND an even better yarn bowl. With the sides flipped down, I can see all of the content inside...just wish it had a yarn guide like the yarn sacks
    What if you hook one end of the new double carabiner clips for the Knitting Tool Pouches between the draw string pull and the clip used to close and secure the Travel Tray contents? The other swivel end of the Carabiner clip could act as a yarn guide, and because the molded plastic of the clip is smooth, the yarn would flow easily through the clip.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388593385.869164.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  129.3 KB

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0