Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Aeronaut in Italy

Question Aeronaut in Italy

We are planning a trip to Italy. I understand that the size and weight restrictions are greater in Europe. Will I be able to fly with my Aeronaut as a carry on? How about on the train from Veneto to Venice?

On trains, all bags are carry-on. You should be able to fit the Aeronaut on the luggage rack above your seat. Large bags go at the ends of the cars.

As for Airlines, each one is different. Which ones are you flying?
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

We are traveling as a group with our local Chamber of Commerce. They have not provided us the airline info yet (hopefully will have in February). If I don't over pack my Aeronaut, I can fit it easily in the overhead compartment of a smaller CRJ commuter jet, or under the seat in front of me in a regular size jet. How much more restrictive are the European airlines?

Looking to bring....
    2 shorts/skorts
    1 skirt
    1 leggings
    3 t-shirts
    1 long sleeve over shirt
    2 pair shoes
    3 pair socks
    3 bras/panties
    minimal make-up, hairbrush, toothbrush

The size of the bag shouldn't be an issue for overseas flights. (Just make sure the Aeronaut isn't too thick as many European airlnes have a depth maximum of 8" not 9" like U.S. carriers.

Your real issue is weight. That limit can vary from 13 lbs to 22 lbs. If you can keep it under 18 pounds the odds are in your favor. And yes, they do weigh and measure. (Although non-wheeled bags are easier than wheelies.)

And then some only allow one carry-on and nothing else. No personal item. That's why I said it's very important to know the airline.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Aeronaut in Italy

You'll be fine. If you do a search for my "3 weeks with an aeronaut" thread, you can see my experience traveling to Italy, where I had zero problems. We flew Alitalia and my Aeronaut was the perfect travel companion. If it's not overfull, it will fit fine in the overhead compartments on trains.

ETA: I re-read your packing list and if your shoes aren't gigantic, the Aeronaut should swallow everything and not appear bulgy or overpacked. On my flight, it was the folks with the expanded rollaboards who were subject to being weighed; the GA didn't even look at me sideways. But, as Frank mentioned, other airlines could be much more stringent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Badger; 12-16-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks so much! I'll be wearing a pair of light-weight tennies and bring a pair of flat strappy leather sandals for going out to eat at night, so shoes will take very little room. I'll be taking my side effect to use as a daily bag, but I'll keep it inside the Aeronaut while traveling.

I guess I'll have to weigh my bags and clothes. Will they allow for the 9" depth of the Aeronaut if it squishes down easily? My packing list fits very comfortably inside the Aeronaut with room to spare. I'm 5'4 and wear a US size 4-6, so my clothes are on the small side.

Yes, I think the Aeronaut will fit into the thing fine given that it sounds like you're packing light. As long as you're not huffing and puffing to get it in there, I doubt it will matter if you need to tuck in a corner.

Regarding footwear: having spent considerable (but hardly sufficient, to my taste) time in Italy, I'd really suggest investing in a pair of good walking shoes before your trip and breaking them in. Unless you already do a lot of walking over uneven surfaces, your feet will be killing you in tennis shoes. I usually wear a pair of low-cut trail shoes (ie, Asolo or Scarpa); on my last trip, I wore vivobarefoots and I was fine, but it was winter and I wasn't walking outside for hours quite as much. Regardless, if you can get footwear with a vibram sole and sufficient support for your particular foot type (ie, arches/lack thereof), you will experience considerably more happiness at the end of a day of sightseeing.

Ditto on the shoe advice.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I third the shoe advice! I wore my gnarliest, most comfortable shoes (Merrell Jungle Mocs) and packed my Chaco sandals and though I wasn't stylish, I could walk all day without discomfort.

I looked over your packing list again. No long pants? Maybe you're wearing on plane along with a light jacket or fleece. What month are you going? Since you are a mini size, it looks to me like you'll have LOTS of room left over in your Aeronaut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forgot to add: bring decently warm pajamas. Even if you're going in July (insanity), it can get quite cold at night and unless you're at quite a posh hotel, the coverlet will likely be thin. Silkweight baselayers would do.

In Southern California, we call sport shoes "tennies" but I'll actually be bringing a pair of my JB1 (Jbu/Jambu) Tahoe trek shoes. They are light weight but I can do a 12-15 mile mountain hike in them no problem. They are very similar to Merrell. In fact, I just ordered a third pair. I am paranoid that once they are worn through that they will no longer be available, so I want to have a couple of back up pairs for when that time comes! My sandals are B.O.C. (Born), so also very comfortable for all day walking.

I'm going in July. I will have a pair of leggings in the packing list that can be used as pajamas. I think that I will probably wear denim jeans on the flight over. Should I pack a warm jacket? Or pick up a fleece jacket/hoodie over there if needed?

Jambus are perfect. I love mine, too.

In my opinion, no jacket. A light sweater would be good for airplane, the rare cool evening, and air conditioned restaurants.

Too hot for jeans. Maybe some light cotton pants or capris. Just think Puerto Vallarta weight clothing. Except at beach, though, women in Italy are more modest in their dress. I've never seen a woman dressed in shorts. You might not be allowed into churches unless more modestly dressed.

It is REALLY hot in July. The stone buildings and streets radiate lots of heat. There is little greenery or green shade except outside of cities. But it is still an extraordinary country. You'll love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0