Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By bchaplin
  • 5 Post By Lani

Thread: More waterproof: Dyneema or Parapack?

More waterproof: Dyneema or Parapack?

Does anyone know how waterproof the new 420d HT Parapack is as an outside surface, compared to the 400d Dyneema? I'm thinking specifically of the Synapse backpacks which are now offered in both materials.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  282.9 KB The 420d Parapack is very water resistant, it is a smoother fabric so it's DWR coating would last longer and it's coating seems a little thicker than the dyneema. I wouldn't rule out the dyneema if you like the look of it though, most of the water shedding ability lies with the DWR coating, once that is gone the fabric will wet out on you regardless of its make up.
    Last edited by Miking; 12-10-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks. I do have Nikwax so I can renew the layer (is that what you mean by DWR?). My personal experience with dyneema is that it isn't that protective in heavy rain, whereas ballistic nylon is quite good, so I'm trying to figure out where parapack falls between the two. It does seem a little thicker to me.

Yeah, that's exactly where I would place it, probably closer to ballistics water resistance, with regular treatment with nikwax I don't think you would be disappointed, also the black parapack with the aquaguard zippers looks amazing, the black 420d/wasabi synapse 25 is tempting me! Might have to treat myself for christmas!

Funny story: That is exactly what I just bought!
    It was just delivered, and I was trying to decide if I should have gone with the black dyneema/wasabi instead, when I posted this. However, I think I really like the parapack. I could have done my own test with the water resistance, but I wanted to make sure I could still return it.
    Anyway it seems pretty nice. I'm very short, but I think it is still ok size-wise. This backpack will be more for traveling than an EDC.

How long does the coating last on the dyneema? Is nikwax something I should be applying regularly?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's hard to say, depending on use it could be months or years, it does help it shed water, resist stains and slide a bit earier from overhead bins and such so its good to keep it treated.

Also bchaplin could you post some pictures of your new bag?

Will do, Miking. Probably tonight or tomorrow. I'll start a new thread in the Photos & Video category.
    Miking likes this.

I used a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag as my main day bag for the European vacation. On our last full day when we went to the Documentation Center Nazi Party Rally Grounds in Nuremberg, Germany, it started to snow quite heavily. By the time we were done walking around the grounds, the ground was snowed over, as were we. My PCSB was completely covered in snow, which started melting once I got back on the tram trolley to get back to town... and I was very happy to discover that the inside of the PCSB was completely dry!

Here's proof (I'm the short one carrying the red PCSB cross-body style on my back):

Name:  1504146_10202359538620673_1867420101_n.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  98.3 KB
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0