Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: favorite earbud storage?

favorite earbud storage?

i've decided i'm super-talented at making simple tasks really frustrating/annoying. halp!

is there a general consensus about the best way to store earbuds? i've seen a few references to using the mini-size pouch, is that a favorite? i am both impatient about getting my earbuds in/out of my bag and fastidious about not ruining them, which makes for a fun challenge sometimes.

right now i'm using sennheiser cx485 earbuds, and i have an old belkin thingie (technical!) that i can wrap a portion of the cord around, so that i can keep them somewhat shortened (it looks like a figure eight)... but it's not perfect for getting everything wrapped up and safely stowed, so i prefer to still put them in something.

i've been using the nifty pocket pouch for this purpose sometimes, but honestly i feel like i'm cramming them in there so i'm wondering if i should try a different approach.

should i be trying a mini organizer pouch, or something different? any thoughts appreciated.

I have been using a mini padded organizer pouch for my Bose IE2 and just bought the next larger sized one (small) for my new Bose QC20i, which has an attached noise-canceling unit. The padded pouch is probably overkill but since I also store my iPod with the earbuds, I opted for the extra protection.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I use a pocket pouch for my earbuds. Seems to work.

I have a good friend who works in that industry. He told me NEVER to wrap them around anything or use tight bends because it can stretch the wires inside and cause shorting over time. What I do with my earbuds is wrap them in a three inch around loop then just put that loop in a mini padded pouch.

I use an oakley large watch vault, it's made for watches but it's small and I like that its a hard case. If I didn't have this item I would buy something similar but specifically for headphones. Sometimes I also use a very small pencil case that's in a triangle shape, this is easier to take the headphones in and out of but it's soft so sometimes I worry they aren't protecting my headphones adequately. I didn't like the Bose case that came with my headphones, I thought it was too big. I have contemplated a ballistic nylon or padded mini pouch from TB.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi bluedawg, been a while since I've seen your posts! I use the clear organizer wallet (which is the size of the small pouch) and put my earbuds between the Utrasuede dividers. I usually use either one of my wallets in Cork (which they don't carry any more *sniff*), or thé one in Cocoa Ultrasuede (from the first batch of wallets, also not offered any more) -- both nice, soft, options. I store charging cables in other sections of the dividers, so it's easier to use the small wallet instead of the pocket pouch.

I use a mini OP. I knit over the cables to keep kinks and tangles away. I roll them loosely around my fingers and they fit right in.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP, SC, BB, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, SE2, MCB, RiPad

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    I use a mini OP. I knit over the cables to keep kinks and tangles away. I roll them loosely around my fingers and they fit right in.
    Love the knitted cord cover! And the yarn color matches nicely with the OP -- although am a little surprised it is not violet or aubergine
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Step 1.) fold business card in half.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  159.6 KB
    Step 2.) fold sides towards center.
Views: 728
Size:  82.2 KB
    Step 3.) (the tricky part) fold along dotted lines to form makeshift clamshell box.
Views: 728
Size:  100.4 KB
    Like so:
Views: 741
Size:  71.7 KB
    Step 4.) Insert earbuds inside clamshell.
Views: 752
Size:  73.8 KB
    Continued next post.....

Step 5.) Gently wrap cord around divots provided by folding.
Views: 731
Size:  89.3 KB
    Step 6.) shove in your choice of TB pouch, shown in the organizer wallet.
Views: 707
Size:  79.5 KB

Hurry up and patent that!

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    Hurry up and patent that!

:-)
    I don't think I can take credit for that one, it was in an elementary school library oragami book so old I remember using that trick with the earbuds that came with this Walkman! Probably the only thing more embarrassing than the yellow Walkman was my taste in music at the time...
Views: 860
Size:  624.3 KB

Boredom Bonus!!!
    For those who like a less bulky package!
    Another chapter in my ongoing battle against hotel key cards! This took me a few minutes to do with a sharp knife, the slots along the sides lock the cord in place.

Views: 725
Size:  366.7 KB
Views: 729
Size:  297.5 KB
Views: 721
Size:  307.0 KB

Dorayme and Miking - I love the innovation! There are some seriously clever people in this forum.

I use this method (hopefully my video embeds correctly). The best part is how quickly they pull apart for use. Unwinding earbud cords is one of the most annoying things to me.

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    I have been using a mini padded organizer pouch for my Bose IE2 and just bought the next larger sized one (small) for my new Bose QC20i, which has an attached noise-canceling unit. The padded pouch is probably overkill but since I also store my iPod with the earbuds, I opted for the extra protection.
    I love the knitted cable covers! I need to do that.

I don't mean to thread hijack but how do you like the qc20i? Dh and I have a lot of travel planned for the New Year and I was thinking of upgrading to them...if they are worth it.

you guys are so awesome! thank you for all the responses!

i love the knitted cord covers; so adorable. and the origami business card! i am soaking up all of your tips and tricks and suggestions and trying to figure out what to try first. i do have an organizer wallet (that is currently in use as my wallet, heh), so that's something i can easily test-run right away. thank you so much for all the help!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0