Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Tlacltme

Thread: Cafe bag material choice

Cafe bag material choice

I am buying Medium Cafe bags for my adult daughters for Christmas.
    I cannot decide on the material, Cordura vs 420d.
    Besides the color choice differences I am trying to find out if there is a difference in how the bag handles a full load with one material vs the other. There may also be other considerations that I am no aware of. Pet hair?
    Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Hi Lost!
    I have Large Cafe Bags in cordura and one in the 420d. The bottom line is, you can't go wrong with either decision! I'm not the wordsmith that some of the forum folk are, but I'll do my best to describe the two materials.

The Cordura is a slightly thicker, slightly nubbier material. Very slightly. I believe it's also a bit more of a pet hair magnet than the 420d, but I don't have pets so I can't tell you that for sure. It also seems to be a tad bit more flexible- not in terms of what one can carry, but in the sense that it molds just a wee bit more to you while wearing it. The Cordura in person has a nice to sheen to it, though it is less "shiny" (not really the right word) than the 420d.

The 420d is a slippery, slightly stiffer material though one would hardly call it stiff. It has a distinct sheen to it. In terms of capacity, I think they're about equal. The difference between the cordura and 420d isn't as distinct as the difference between the ballistic nylon and the dyneema, in my opinion. The 420d is more slippery than the Cordura, which is great when sliding things out of the bag, less great when things are sliding out because it was parked open on the seat next to you while driving and you stopped too quickly

I don't know how helpful I've been, saying they're both great I guess my best advice would be -- barring serious pet hair considerations-- to pick based on the color combos. The cordura colors are bright and fabulous. The 420d has a beautiful sheen. There truly isn't a bad decision to be made! Happy Shopping!

Thanks Tlacltme

Very helpful.

I would select by color. I have dogs and often select toward dyneema for that reason. However, I LOVE my linen cordura Café Bag and have zero issues with anything clinging to it. The neutral linen goes with everything and I end up using it a lot. Having said that, I just requested samples of the new D fabric so I can check it out. The steel with Iberian interior sounds too tempting to pass up!
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Cafe bag material choice

The Cordura looks similar to canvas and is more earthy-looking, which is a nice look. The Parapack is smooth and kind of shimmery and is quite sleek-looking, which is a nice look. Win either way!

From a pet hair perspective, I don't notice much hair sticking to my Cordura cafe bag, but I know others have found it a problem. I find that it sticks far more readily to the back of my Ego above the open pocket; I'm not sure what material that is (possibly a lighter-weight Cordura?) but it's definitely not the same as the outside of my cafe bag. I have not seen any hair stick to my Parapack Synapse.
    Last edited by terayon; 12-03-2013 at 04:38 PM.

I don't own anything in the 420d yet, but I can comment on pet hair/cordura situation. I live with a dog and 3 cats, all of whom shed. I bought a Cocoa/Wasabi small cafe bag, and after seeing how it attracted pet hair in comparison to the ballistic fabric, decided not to buy anything else in cordura. Then, a couple of months ago, I broke down and bought a Synapse 25 in Navy Cordura/Solar, because I really wanted that color combination. Which, by the way, is awesome. I tried to keep the backpack off of the floor, and out of the way, because the cats insist on laying as close to on top of my bags as they can get. That only lasted a few weeks and now the bag gets dropped on the floor where everyone can rub against and cuddle up right next to it. And I've found that the hair really isn't that big of a deal. It doesn't brush off the way it does from dyneema or ballistic, but it brushes into a clump that can be picked off without any trouble. I haven't even had to break out the lint roller.

So, to make a long story short, I agree with the other commentors - if pet hair is the deciding factor, get whichever colors will make you happy.

Thanks to all.
    I think I'm past the pet issue but the "shiny-ness" issue lingers.
    These daughters are not into shiny.
    I have worn out the Google images search function looking at TB items in the 420 parapack.
    The great photos of the Guide pack and Founders briefcase have eased my mind though.
    Thanks again.

Shiny isn't really the right word for the parapack. The best I can do is slightly iridescent or opalescent. Think pearl, maybe? It's hard to imagine anyone really disliking it, and I don't generally like shiny much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost View Post
    Thanks to all.
    I think I'm past the pet issue but the "shiny-ness" issue lingers.
    These daughters are not into shiny.
    I have worn out the Google images search function looking at TB items in the 420 parapack.
    The great photos of the Guide pack and Founders briefcase have eased my mind though.
    Thanks again.
    Why not ask for samples of the various materials? It's the only way to really know. I recently asked for samples of specific colours of dyneema, parapack and cordura to help me make up my mind about an order. As usual, customer service was terrific and they were in the mail within a day.

Medium cafes in 420d (steel) arrived today.
    I think the daughters will really like them.
    Thanks again to all for the assistance.

Smile

So u got them all the same color?

Long story.
    First, they live 1800 miles apart. Also, if one of them wants a different color my wife plans on keeping the steel bag and I get that daughter another in the color of her choice. Bottom line: my wife wants a steel bag but is giving the daughters first shot at these.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0